Can't get rid of root rot & slime - Superthrive?

Nutria

Hello growers!

I have germinated 4 Seeds and put em in a 4 gal dwc bucket to grow a bit before going into the definitive system. I keep facing root rot and since also some slime.

It is a white bucket but I made it lightproof with black tape and then another layer of American tape (duct tape?). Same on the lid plus some mylar. There are 2 air stones and and hoses are all black. 2 air pumps.
It should be light proof.
It has plenty of oxygen.

Water temp is about 20c/68f. Air temp is a bit higher.

I had some root rot but I added more duct tape to the bucket, also some mylar, changed hoses, flushed with h2o2 and cleaned everything with bleach.

Everything seemed OK.

I received House and Garden root excelurator, Superthrive, Silica and added them at low dosage.

Some days later it appeared root rot and slime on the air stones.

I don't think Silica additive can cause this.
Roots excelurator is a roots stimulator so why should it cause root problems?
Maybe Superthrive?

Changed to plain water with bleach and let it go for 2 days. I took all down and cleaned everything deeply with bleach, bucket, hoses, air stones. Took away the netpots with hydrotons, submerged in water+bleach. Cut away roots that still were slimy.
Everything has been cleaned.

Added base nutrients and everything except for Superthrive.
Nothing appeared in the res for 2 days but plants were dropping so I added Superthrive and 2 days later I have some root rot and slime on the air stones.

What can I do?
I don't want to give up and get new Seeds.

I am waiting for Orca supplement but I don't have access to Subculture B or similar products to make my own H's tea.

re: Can't get rid of root rot & slime - Superthrive?

Hey sorry you're having so many problems. We're pretty new to growing. Only on our 3rd grow in dwc. Had the same problems.

You can run a sterile res or a res with beneficial bacteria.

We tried a sterile res using hydrogen peroxide to keep everything sterile, and it was a nightmare.

So we switched to hydroguard by botanicare. It's beneficial bacteria. There's is also stuff like voodoo juice from other manufacturers. It all out competes bad bacteria.

The Orca is good but it's more myco. I think you need more of a pure beneficial bacteria product. Specially if your trying to cure root rot.

Hydroguard says you can use heavy dosage to fight kill off the bad stuff you have. Then reduce dosage and us as a bad stuff deterrent.

We used peroxide to cure root rot. And once it cleared up we started the hydroguard.
Haven't had a single issue since.

Goof luck hope you save your plants!

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey sorry you're having so many problems. We're pretty new to growing. Only on our 3rd grow in dwc. Had the same problems.

You can run a sterile res or a res with beneficial bacteria.

We tried a sterile res using hydrogen peroxide to keep everything sterile, and it was a nightmare.

So we switched to hydroguard by botanicare. It's beneficial bacteria. There's is also stuff like voodoo juice from other manufacturers. It all out competes bad bacteria.

The Orca is good but it's more myco. I think you need more of a pure beneficial bacteria product. Specially if your trying to cure root rot.

Hydroguard says you can use heavy dosage to fight kill off the bad stuff you have. Then reduce dosage and us as a bad stuff deterrent.

We used peroxide to cure root rot. And once it cleared up we started the hydroguard.
Haven't had a single issue since.

Goof luck hope you save your plants!

Hey thx for answering. I am with you, hydroguard would be a perfect solution, like Subculture b, but I I can't find any shop in my country(EU) that sell botanicare products. I have to order it from another UK but I have to pay more for shipping than for the product itself (double the price of the product).
I can get some voodoo juice, even if it is pricy as f**k, but I am not sure it will keill all the bad bacteria

Wow that sucks! The Voodoo juice will work. You can try dosing with peroxide.
Just do a search on it and there is tons of info on how much to use.

I have heard voodoo juice works well. I have also read about z7; it is expensive but supposedly it keeps your water clean. I'm starting a DWC set up very soon and will be using both of those products.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've also read a little bout z7

z7 is the best stuff I have ever used. It stopped all my root issue dead for over two years now.

But last I heard it was only available in the US.

If you can get some. You will love it....

I would try and refrain from using bleach to clean. Try and vinegar solution as it won't hurt the plant if any is left behind. Bleach will poison the plant.

z7 and your nutes is all that is really needed. You could save your money on the voodoo juice.

I have heard voodoo juice works well. I have also read about z7; it is expensive but supposedly it keeps your water clean. I'm starting a DWC set up very soon and will be using both of those products.

z7 and your nutes is all that is really needed. You could save your money on the voodoo juice.

Ah I see, so z7 is all you need for the roots? I just figured voodoo juice or Orca/great white held other benefits but I honestly haven't done the research on that. That's cool though, I'm sure I can find something else to spend that money on :)

I tried everything to get rid of pathogens in aero-fogponics. The brown algae would not be stopped. It was present in the water supply, so that's probably a reason many use distilled water for their grows, it's totally sterile. However I didn't want to be buying distilled water, so I did some research to find what else would stop brown slime algae and other pathogens. If I could find that magic bullet that stopped brown algae, bacteria, fungus and didn't need using every single day like H2O2 or bleach then that would be great!
I came across some information about Physan 20 used to sterilize plant cuttings and reservoirs. The article mentioned it's active ingredient 'Benzalkonium Chloride' (BZK). I found the same ingredient in pool algaecide, and certain other retail products. After trialing 1 drop per liter it totally stopped the brown slime algae. White roots emerged and I've never had a problem since. I found a 2 liter bottle of Hy-clor algaecide with 150G/L BZK treats 40,000 litres, so it's going to nearly last forever. They also have a 300G/L BZK algaecide, so for that you would only use 1 drop per 2 liters of water to sterilize it. It's action lasts a full week, which is a good time to change out the reservoir.

First and Foremost... I would throw that bottle of super thrive in the trash. Superthrive has hormones that cause your buds to delay and stunt during flowering, they use these hormones to "prolong" the blooms of decorative flowers such as Roses etc. Madfarmer makes a good B1 and so does RAW... ThriveAlive is horribly overpriced.

Get yourself some Hydroguard its made with a highly protective beneficial bacteria that will keep your roots healthy with all those biologicals floating around. Get a aquarium thermometer and check the reading against your existing thermometer as root slime usually indicates just TWO big problems... Waters too warm or you do not have enough air in the rootzone.

If and When you get Fed-up with chasing the Organic train that technically does NOT exist in hydroponics... Consider a high end sterile nutrient line (Not to be confused with anything from AN)

Back
Top Bottom