Cape Mountainside Bay Garden: Transkei Sativa Soil Grow

Greetings again folks. I am so happy to begin a new grow this new year.

I'd like to invite everyone to join me on my journey @Lerugged @Smeegol @Backlipslide @Dkmg01 @CapeGrownian @CADBOY @InTheShed there are more...

I am going to be growing in the ground in soil this time. I have selected the sites that I think will be best, as they are in the full sun all day and they have enough space around them to give the plants enough room to breathe and bloom. I have read a good deal on soil growing but I know that if the soil isn't right the plants will suffer, so I am hoping to get advice from you experienced soil growers! I am always broke so I don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it.

@Lerugged, the plants are going directly into mountain soil. It hasn't been tampered with. Do you think I can use that on its own, or do I need to go to Jamies and get pro soil? I will be watering from the tap. Do I need to feed with anything? Soil Bacteria is something that has grabbed my interest.There is also Seagrow, Worm poo and bokashi tea. Any suggestions in this regard would be most helpful.

Please comment on these sites I picked, and let me know if you think they will do. Salaams, peace out.

IMG_20200906_160938-2.jpg

IMG_20200906_160942-2.jpg

IMG_20200906_161011-2.jpg

IMG_20200906_161058-2.jpg

IMG_20200906_161633-2.jpg

Greetings again folks. I am so happy to begin a new grow this new year.

I'd like to invite everyone to join me on my journey @Lerugged @Smeegol @Backlipslide @Dkmg01 @CapeGrownian @CADBOY @InTheShed there are more...

I am going to be growing in the ground in soil this time. I have selected the sites that I think will be best, as they are in the full sun all day and they have enough space around them to give the plants enough room to breathe and bloom. I have read a good deal on soil growing but I know that if the soil isn't right the plants will suffer, so I am hoping to get advice from you experienced soil growers! I am always broke so I don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it.

@Lerugged, the plants are going directly into mountain soil. It hasn't been tampered with. Do you think I can use that on its own, or do I need to go to Jamies and get pro soil? I will be watering from the tap. Do I need to feed with anything? Soil Bacteria is something that has grabbed my interest.There is also Seagrow, Worm poo and bokashi tea. Any suggestions in this regard would be most helpful.

Please comment on these sites I picked, and let me know if you think they will do. Salaams, peace out.

@Carmen Ray Heyy Nice to see you ;)

Lovely looking place to grow some plants, looks so peaceful in that garden...

For soil I'd suspect that in your area natural soil would likely be ok, but I would recommend grabbing a bag of pro mix and using it 50/50 with the soil for good measure, this could also add in the bacteria you are looking for...

ive found that the Mycorrhizae in my pro mix really does well in general. Actually I think someone on here recently posted how to make your own Mycorrhizae bacteria, maybe look into that...

Worm Casteing "worm poop" is an excellent choice and Tea would be great too... I dont deal with any teas so I cant really comment on that.

Friend of mine only grows using sheep poop, worm poop untill flowering then he uses Potassium nutrients to finish.... not sure what type of products you have available or can acquire naturally....

Thanks for inviting me into your journey, looking forward to your progress...

Hey. Good to see you back. Lovely spot you got there. What beans your dropping?

Hey. Good to see you back. Lovely spot you got there. What beans your dropping?
Hey DK, I am going to grow Transkei exclusively this season. Great to see you. Thanks for coming by! It's not my place but I've been given the go ahead to do my gardening there. It is beautiful indeed.

@Carmen Ray Heyy Nice to see you ;)

Lovely looking place to grow some plants, looks so peaceful in that garden...

For soil I'd suspect that in your area natural soil would likely be ok, but I would recommend grabbing a bag of pro mix and using it 50/50 with the soil for good measure, this could also add in the bacteria you are looking for...

ive found that the Mycorrhizae in my pro mix really does well in general. Actually I think someone on here recently posted how to make your own Mycorrhizae bacteria, maybe look into that...

Worm Casteing "worm poop" is an excellent choice and Tea would be great too... I dont deal with any teas so I cant really comment on that.

Friend of mine only grows using sheep poop, worm poop untill flowering then he uses Potassium nutrients to finish.... not sure what type of products you have available or can acquire naturally....

Thanks for inviting me into your journey, looking forward to your progress...
Thanks for the tips CADBOY. I'm interested to see what LeRugged says about the mountain soil since he has likely used it himself. I hope I can find the link for the Mycorrhizae baceria recipe, although I'd love it if someone would watch the Youtube link and see if this version is a good one for weed. It's good for veggies, that much is evident. I'd love to know what potassium nutes your mate finishes with. I'm sure a local brand will be available if I know the chemical breakdown.
Yay! Glad to see you here :)

I put three Transkei seeds to germinate on 09/09/2020. One has popped and I have put her in a cup of damp soil. I'll call her Molly (TK1).

Attachments

• DSC_0983-2.jpg
    DSC_0983-2.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 69
I grow in mountain soil, or what passes for soil. Conditions here are alkali, so I added Sunshine mix which is peat based like Pro Mix. It helps sandy soil hold water, and the organic acids in peat are great for limey soil. I use a dry organic complete fertilizer like Jobes vegetable nutes. Just mix it in with the top 3 inches of soil and water.

Afternoon Carmen, hope you don’t mind me pulling up a chair and following along :)

As mentioned, organics added to any soil will improve it and spawn all kinds of microbial growth to improve the growth of your girls. Alfalfa is a great amendment if it is something you can access there.
The problem with adding green material to soil is that it locks up nitrogen during decomposition.

Yes, it needed at least a month to break down before putting the plant in it
Add it in the fall, and let it break down over the winter. Accelerate decomposition by adding a little manure and nitrogen at the same time.

I grow in mountain soil, or what passes for soil. Conditions here are alkali, so I added Sunshine mix which is peat based like Pro Mix. It helps sandy soil hold water, and the organic acids in peat are great for limey soil. I use a dry organic complete fertilizer like Jobes vegetable nutes. Just mix it in with the top 3 inches of soil and water.
Hi @Bush Doctor 77 Thank you and welcome. I must do some testing on this soil of course. It looks rich and dark brown. Thank you for the tips on the peat mix and the vegetable nutes.

Afternoon Carmen, hope you don’t mind me pulling up a chair and following along :)

As mentioned, organics added to any soil will improve it and spawn all kinds of microbial growth to improve the growth of your girls. Alfalfa is a great amendment if it is something you can access there.
Welcome @The Celt and thank you for joining me :) I want to watch my video link again... the bloke called The Weedy Garden. He makes a super simple food for microbes, using rice water and some other basic ingredients. It's liquid. Once I have the recipe and the basic theory, I'll report back. I'm interested in those vegetable nutes too. I'm waiting for when Le Rugged is finished being so busy, because he knows the growing conditions here very well and he seems to have got the right balance in his grows, so I am interested to hear what he suggests too. I see going down the page a discussion about the feeding, so I will read that now.

Folks, I am interested in your thoughts on this super juice.

How to make soil bacteria, courtesy of The Weedy Garden How to make soil bacteria

So the gasses that the bacteria give off are beneficial to the soil and this fabulous video is a vegetable grower's eye candy. It is well worth a watch. The guy who does it is a photographer and he has done a spectacular job with the video. His garden is idyllic too. His recipe for soil bacteria is as follows:

How to make soil bacteria

Makes 100 litres

2 litres of water and soak 500g starchy white rice

Strain off and cover with a cloth (jar)

Leave for 7 days in a cupboard

Add ½ litre full cream organic dairy milk

Leave in cupboard for 7 days

Keep the whey and discard the curd

Pour into 100 litre drum

Add 2.3 litres molasses

Fill with water and cover

Feeding solution: 100 ml soil bacteria to 9 litres of water to feed around base of plants

I put three Transkei seeds to germinate on 09/09/2020. One has popped and I have put her in a cup of damp soil. I'll call her Molly (TK1).

Such an amazing photo. I would actually hang this on my wall. You should enter it into one of the monthly photo contests.

Such an amazing photo. I would actually hang this on my wall. You should enter it into one of the monthly photo contests.
Thanks CADBOY. I must figure out how I can get closer to the seed with my lens so that I can fill the frame. I have lens envy when I see some of the photos posted on Instagram, of trichomes and other detail lol.

Hey Carmen, that stuff works well. That is the process for making Lacto Bacillus, commonly referred to as LABs around the forum, many of us use it and a little goes a long way.

It is one of the things I add to my compost and I also use it to soak my alfalfa before blending it into my soils, breaks down organic matter and speeds up the cooking process.

Hey Carmen, that stuff works well. That is the process for making Lacto Bacillus, commonly referred to as LABs around the forum, many of us use it and a little goes a long way.

It is one of the things I add to my compost and I also use it to soak my alfalfa before blending it into my soils, breaks down organic matter and speeds up the cooking process.
Brilliant! Now I want to ask you if I could use alfalfa pellets instead of "cooked" alfalfa plants? The horsey companies sell it as feed for horses. I have limited space, so it would be difficult to grow enough of it to make fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom