Capt SuHo - Hydro - Strain Unknown - 2nd Grow - 2014

Capt SuHo

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and growing. This is my second grow and I still probably don't know what I'm doing. I tried to use my first grow as a learning experience...and learning experience it was! Despite a ridiculous amount of mistakes, I managed to Forest Gump my way to a 5oz harvest. I grew Northern Lights Autos for my first grow and though I made it to harvest, the buds were airy and fluffy. I'm pretty sure its because they didn't receive enough light.

The reason I'm talking about my first grow is because I think its important to know what I did in order to know what I'm currently doing different. I learned a ton during my first grow, even though my buds were fluffy and airy, they still smoke and get ya high.

Problems I encountered on my first grow:
-Heat
-PH control
-Nutrient amounts
-Heat
-Root Rot
-Heat
-Not enough light
-Plants crowded
-Heat
-Knowing when to start flushing

Second Grow

This grow is 2 Freebies I got from Nirvana when I ordered the Northern Lights.

I have a 24inx24inx60in cabinet I got from a buddy that had almost everything I needed. I keep it in a closet in my garage.
IMG_57193.JPG

I have completely sealed the closet and keep it air conditioned. However, after my first grow, I have recognized several areas that needed improvements before the next grow.

The first improvement was to run a permanent drain line for the portable A/C. During the first grow I had it draining into a bucket, but I was constantly emptying it.
IMG_57093.JPG

The second improvement was to fix the heat issues. During the first grow I couldn't completely close the cabinet because it would get way too hot even though the closet around it was freezing. To remedy this, I rigged up a duct from the A/C to the inside of the cabinet which seems to be working great. Hopefully I won't need it this winter, but its ready to go incase I do.
IMG_57123.JPG

IMG_57136.JPG

IMG_57153.JPG

Third improvement was to remove the shelf in the cabinet so I have more room to grow. The top of the inside of the cabinet had a cloning chamber. So I moved the cloning chamber to the top of the cabinet (on the outside), mounted the lights on the ceiling above it, and took out the shelf. This gives me a lot more room for growing.
IMG_57163.JPG

Fourth improvement was to upgrade the light. It had a 150w HPS grow light, but that was not nearly enough even in a small cabinet. It made my buds all fluffy and airy (NOT COOL). Anyway, I couldn't upgrade the light because it was summer and I was already fighting major heat issues! To remedy this, I have purchased a P300 LED light from Platinum LED. Its not in yet, but I'll post pics once it is (should be by the end of the week). I also bought a 400w HPS to have on hand incase I have the opposite problem this winter and need to heat the cabinet.

The last thing I built was a cover for the open spots in the top of my bin. I had root rot problems in my first grow so this time I am going at it from the angle of prevention. My bin has 8 slots for plants, but that's way too many for my cabinet so I built a cover over 6 of them in order to block all light from the bottom of the bin. I also added 2 more air stones for a total of 4 large ones I will add hydrogen peroxide to the water for this grow. I am also going to try using tiny frozen water bottles to cool the water as close to 68 degrees as I can.

I had trouble dialing in the nutrients on the first grow. I started out using a Technaflora nutrient box bundle, but it was like 10 different bottles to mix. And I never did get it dialed in to where the plants were completely happy. Towards the end of the grow I switched to GH nutrients and the plants seemed to do better, plus it was easier on me. For this reason I intend to use GH nutrients for this grow as well.

Anyway, here is a pic of the cabinet with all the improvements minus the new P300 LED.
IMG_57204.JPG

This is my first journal and second grow so go easy on me, but I welcome any advice that will help me improve my growing skills. This is also my first normal plant grow; I did autos last time.

I put the 2 seeds in wet rockwool today and placed them in a little humidity dome that came with the cabinet.

Nice start! I have used that same cabinet and system that you are going to use.. The heat issues with the water I had have with a diff system I had at the time and I used a Water cooler but that added to much heat to the area from it trying to cool the water..So I ended up using a EBB&Flow system where your water floods buckets so many times a day then pumps it back outside your cabinet where its nice and cool so your water does not get hot as hell..So far my hot water days is behind me lol.. One other bonus from the EBB&Flow system is each plant has its own 2 gal pot so if it gets sick or needs to be separated from others its easy to just pull the plant out.. The biggest problem I have had with this system you have is the roots of the plants become so tied together you better hope you dont need to remove it lol.

But with you fixing your ac to the cabinet fixing the heat issues you might not have hot water problems anymore.. With you getting a P300 I know your going to love this light since im using its big brothers and it should stay really cool for ya in there..

Ya know, I thought the 150w lamp would do fine because the space was so small and I could keep it closer to the plants without burning them. But, it just wasn't enough light. I don't have any pics of the NL auto grow, but later today I'll take some pics of the big buds so you can see how they turned out. Like I said, fluffy, but still smokes.

Seeds are just starting to poke out of the rockwool cubes, I'll get some picks when they are bigger. As promised, here are a couple pics of one of the Northern Lights Auto buds that I did last grow. I'm not sure if you can see or not, but its a little airy...also needs manicured a little better. Gets ya high as shit though!:tokin:
IMG_57263.JPG

IMG_57245.JPG

IMG_57223.JPG

My apologies for being absent so long. The 2 seeds I started grew fine and were about an inch and half tall, when all of a sudden they both just went limp and fell over and died in a matter of 6 hours. I am not 100% sure what the fuck happened, but it was unseasonable cold that night so maybe that did them in. The temp was about 72 when I went to sleep, when I woke up 6 hrs later it was down to 53. Well, its behind me now.

I have since started the last 3 seeds I have. All 3 have sprouted and appear healthy, this is day 3 from surface break. These are the same freebie type as previous.

The good news is that my PlatinumLED P300 arrived and is all ready to go. It arrived in good condition and everything works fine. I did some temp testing last night. The low outside here was 52. My garage (where the closet is) is insulated, but not heated. Anyway, I turned on the LED and placed a temp probe under it about 8 inches away. I also turned on my fan to blow between the light and temp probe just as you would your canopy. When I woke this morning the garage inside the closet was about 60 degrees. Inside the grow cabinet the temp probe 8 inches under the light 90. The rest of the air in the cabinet (not under the light) was a nice 76. What is weird to me is that when I stuck my hand under the light, it didn't feel 90. It felt warm, but not 90...huh. At the very least, I think its safe to say I am not going to have heat issues this winter. I think once it actually gets cold, the temp under the light will be perfect. I'll have to monitor it closely until I get it entirely dialed in. Below are some pics of the P300. I didn't upload any pics of the sprouts (we've all seen thousands of pics of tiny sprouts).

IMG_57323.JPG

IMG_57333.JPG

IMG_57346.JPG

IMG_57354.JPG

IMG_57365.JPG

IMG_57371.JPG

My apologies for being absent so long. The 2 seeds I started grew fine and were about an inch and half tall, when all of a sudden they both just went limp and fell over and died in a matter of 6 hours. I am not 100% sure what the fuck happened, but it was unseasonable cold that night so maybe that did them in. The temp was about 72 when I went to sleep, when I woke up 6 hrs later it was down to 53. Well, its behind me now.

I have since started the last 3 seeds I have. All 3 have sprouted and appear healthy, this is day 3 from surface break. These are the same freebie type as previous.

The good news is that my PlatinumLED P300 arrived and is all ready to go. It arrived in good condition and everything works fine. I did some temp testing last night. The low outside here was 52. My garage (where the closet is) is insulated, but not heated. Anyway, I turned on the LED and placed a temp probe under it about 8 inches away. I also turned on my fan to blow between the light and temp probe just as you would your canopy. When I woke this morning the garage inside the closet was about 60 degrees. Inside the grow cabinet the temp probe 8 inches under the light 90. The rest of the air in the cabinet (not under the light) was a nice 76. What is weird to me is that when I stuck my hand under the light, it didn't feel 90. It felt warm, but not 90...huh. At the very least, I think its safe to say I am not going to have heat issues this winter. I think once it actually gets cold, the temp under the light will be perfect. I'll have to monitor it closely until I get it entirely dialed in. Below are some pics of the P300. I didn't upload any pics of the sprouts (we've all seen thousands of pics of tiny sprouts).

IMG_57323.JPG

IMG_57333.JPG

IMG_57346.JPG

IMG_57354.JPG

IMG_57365.JPG

IMG_57371.JPG

Wow perfect size LED for that cabinet! Only problem I see you having in the future of growing is your plants running into the filters (same worry I had but never flowered in the cabinet after all) unless you remove them at that point or just not letting them grow that tall..

Anyways loving the setup sounds like the heat is a problem of the past now :)

Sorry to hear about the first seeds but just means the new ones will be twice as good haha =P

Happy growing cant wait to see how it progresses!

I moved the light up to a height of 24 inches last night to experiment with the temps again before I put the sprouts under the light for good. Just making sure not to stress them out. At 24 inches the temp down at plant level was 83 degrees, with the air around it being 81 degrees in the cabinet. The outside air temp last night dropped to 49-50 degrees. Now that I know the cabinet is not getting too hot, I will move the plants to the cabinet today and get them tucked into their permanent home. I will continue to move the light down every couple hrs from the 24 inches until I find a height that is the lowest without getting the plants too hot. What is the ideal height I wanna keep this P300 away from the tops of the plants?

As the outside air temps continue to drop heading into winter, my concern is that I am not going to have enough heat once the outside air temps are in the high teens and low 20s as they often do here. I feel like this is a much easier problem to solve than cooling though. I have some t5 side lights in the cabinet that I will experiment with also. During the summer months, the t5's raised the temp inside the cabinet by almost 5 degrees. I am hoping they will heat it up a couple degrees even in the winter. If not, I have an HPS light I can use to really generate some significant heat. All in all, my temp ranges are much better and easier to fine tune with this P300.

Yeah, I may have to move the filters up a bit. They are mounted lower cause of the shelf that use to be at the top. If I have to move them up I will. It will be a pain in the ass, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. The last grow they were fine, but yes I had to focus on keeping the plants a little short. Thanks for the interest and help, I really appreciate it.

I am needing to order some more seeds. I would appreciate any input from you guys who have done this a lot. I am looking for good beginner strains that are tough. I have found out very quickly that Hydro when learning is not a very forgiving process. I also prefer uppy highs since I am a very active person. I like a couch lock every now and again, but for the most part, I am always on the go. Another important factor is that I would like a decent yield. I am fairly new to this area and don't know a lot of people, which makes it tough for finding bud. For that reason, I grow for self sustainment so I like bigger yields. Any advice is welcome?

Yeah, I may have to move the filters up a bit. They are mounted lower cause of the shelf that use to be at the top. If I have to move them up I will. It will be a pain in the ass, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. The last grow they were fine, but yes I had to focus on keeping the plants a little short. Thanks for the interest and help, I really appreciate it.

A little hint about the filters... when I took one apart they are custom built with a super PC like fan with super long screws in them so its kind of a pain but I got mine back together but! you could mount your filters on the outside of the cabinet to give you TONS more room.. you would have to reverse your fans tho by taking them and turning them around and remounting them where the wind blows into the filters so when you mount them outside they are sucking air out of the cabinet into the filters.. or you could just reverse one where you have one filter pulling air in and one sucking air out really up to you but that would give you a ton more room!

I didn't even think about that...That's a great idea. Pretty sure im gonna do that no matter what now. Thanks for the help!

Hell ya glad I could help! Make sure to take some pictures would love to see how it turns out since I never got to =P

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom