Captain Kronics Blackberry Stealth Grow

My question is:
How do you keep the deer, gophers, and other pesky critters from destroying your plants?

Amazing!
first time i've seen this thread..
would also what to know how you keep pest from invading your plants..>?

captin kronic your not only a great grower but photographer to, the outdoor shots were fantastic. ever think of freelanceing for a magazine or paper?:nicethread::thanks:

I'm Speechless.... I mean I am in my late 30's and I have never cast my eyes on such beauty. I didn't even know they could be that color while they are growing...

:adore: Point your mighty green thumb this way o great grower of cannabis, so that I may one day reap such a harvest. :adore:

LOL... seems this thread got some new life... there are some questions as to how to keep pest/animals off my ladies... I watch over them DAILY... I spend way too much time in the sun!

Aw, c'mon. Bar soap shavings, chicken wire, hardware cloth in the hole? The land I'm on is infested with gophers, field mice, deer, and if I don't use containers the gals will be history. My problem with wire is it gives away your plot. I'm at a loss what to do.

All the plants in this grow were above ground and in plastic grow bags MadMike, so gophers weren't a problem.

For the deer I rely on Liquid Fence... it comes w/a double your money back guarantee... that's hard to beat :high-five:

If you have a dog, preferably one w/longer stinkier hair... you can spread it around your plants and that helps. Also... I urinate around the garden, the they don't like the smell of human urine.
They also don't like the scent of cougar piss if you can find some of that!

In my current grow "Canna Voyages" I am using lots of raised beds w/hardware cloth on the bottom as I am in a field w/lots of moles and gophers... haven't had any in the boxes... I see them trying though!

Take your wire and paint it green or something... if you do it while it's in a roll... you won't waste so much paint!

Aw, c'mon. Bar soap shavings, chicken wire, hardware cloth in the hole? The land I'm on is infested with gophers, field mice, deer, and if I don't use containers the gals will be history. My problem with wire is it gives away your plot. I'm at a loss what to do.

I thought about trying some Smart Pots which are made of fabric, but figured gophers would chew right through them. Thanks for the reference of Liquid Fence. I may give it a try next year. I also have raised beds lined with hardware cloth which is where I grow my vegetables. Field mice get underneath the boxes by way of gopher holes. Those little devils can climb and will chew on vegetables if they get in the boxes. I tried some repellent called Critter Ridder that has capscium peppers in the ingredients and is quite penetrating to the sinuses. It doesn't seem to work on the rodents though.

I want to plan on growing around native bushes on my property and make it as inconspicuous as possible. If I plant in the ground, I will have to line the holes with hardware cloth. I will have to fence around them though since I've seen gophers crawl right up to a stock at ground level and chew it in half. I've never seen this mentioned in any of the grow literature I've read. I guess folks just grow as many plants as possible and take their losses. With the outrageous costs of seeds and my appreciation of what they become, I want as few losses as possible. Thanks for the recommendations. They sparked some more ideas. I always camo my grow containers to blend in with the environment. Doing the same with fencing is certainly sensible.

All the plants in this grow were above ground and in plastic grow bags MadMike, so gophers weren't a problem.

For the deer I rely on Liquid Fence... it comes w/a double your money back guarantee... that's hard to beat :high-five:

If you have a dog, preferably one w/longer stinkier hair... you can spread it around your plants and that helps. Also... I urinate around the garden, the they don't like the smell of human urine.
They also don't like the scent of cougar piss if you can find some of that!

In my current grow "Canna Voyages" I am using lots of raised beds w/hardware cloth on the bottom as I am in a field w/lots of moles and gophers... haven't had any in the boxes... I see them trying though!

Take your wire and paint it green or something... if you do it while it's in a roll... you won't waste so much paint!

I also use Smart Pots 100 Gal models, need bigger ones... best things ever!
I don't know if you can do this but, I have mine on top of pallets... keeps rodents out and also makes it easy to tell when the pots are good and soaked.

Although I have grown w/them right on the ground and never had a problem w/rodents.

Sick!!!!!!!!:bravo::circle-of-love:
As I said in the other thread I had going:

I haven't felt right about launching another grow thread w/o being able to finish or at the least do my level best to finish this and one other for the 2010 season.

So, here are the only shots I was able to salvage when my motherboard went out... while these are good pics, they were not the ones I had hoped to find... never the less... enjoy!

PS... look for the Captains 2011 show... :thumb:

DSCN21791.JPG

DSCN21721.JPG

DSCN21761.JPG

DSCN2170.JPG

DSCN21732.JPG

DSCN21662.JPG

Purple Erkel:
DSC002744.JPG

Sour Diesel:
DSC002842.JPG

DSCN21842.JPG

I also use Smart Pots 100 Gal models, need bigger ones... best things ever!
I don't know if you can do this but, I have mine on top of pallets... keeps rodents out and also makes it easy to tell when the pots are good and soaked.

Although I have grown w/them right on the ground and never had a problem w/rodents.

Thanks again for your reply. The concept of easier air access for roots makes sense with the Smart Pots also. I have one folded up in my closet but stuck with the heavy plastic 5 gallon buckets this year. I like the handle and the fact that I can easily move them if I need to. Stealth is important for me here. I ordered one of Jorge's books on guerrilla gardening and hopefully it will spark some more ideas.

The smart pots come in all different sizes, I have gobs of the one gallon ones for starts. You can also order the raw material and make your own setups.
I know guys that use it to line their boxes too!

But yeah, the whole thing about pruning roots w/air is the way to go!

Aways was a fan of a loyal grower who just want give up until they reach their dream of that one all time flower. At 53 now I've had my ups and downs but in the end it always pays off!!! Happy times in the garden!

Hey Capt......
The drying buds look Christmas Garland....
I take 4 Garlands and One of them Paul Bunyan Trees...

I'll just put them on layaway
:theband:

Yo Skinny... I put you on the Christmas orders list!

Thanks for sitting in virgin.grower... great to have you w/us :Namaste:

What I like best about these photos is that they remind me that you don't have to get all scientific to turn out top shelf... this was a very simple grow... it's good for me to remember that once in a while!

Back
Top Bottom