Carcass' $150 Low Budget Grow 2019

You're more than welcome to link away. I've been growing in Pro-Mix or my Faux-Mix® copy of HP for the last year and a half without adjusting pH. I use Mega Crop and supplement with Silica and Cal-Mag. That allows me to tweak the N-P-K numbers a hair to get to the 2-1-3 ratio I prefer, and gives the plant more Silica than just plain Mega Crop (where I think Mega Crop is lacking).
Thanks yes I was following your old M/C thread before it was closed it was very informative.

Actually Shed or anyone else who runs a buffered media does not have to pH their nutes.
Thank You,Mr Sauga-I was way off-totally missed the buffered soil as the reason for not pHing the water-
I checked my soil (Black Magic) ingredients, and it is not buffered...so it's a good thing I've been pH ing .
I was going to switch to promix, but my last trip to Home Depot,they were out of it.
I didn't mean to mislead anyone- I thought I knew what I was talking about-thanks for setting me straight!
Mega Crop primarily consists of the same Salts that every other fertilizer is made of.
Once again- Thank You for the clarification, farside05- I was under the impression that MC was "more different" than it really is.
EDTA is considered a pollutant and is a banned substance in much of Europe.
That's the stuff I was thinking of when I said MC was different-not really that different though.
dont know if your nick refers to the band anyway i took this for you
Thanks for that pic,mumps(and Welcome to my journal!)- I doubt they were around in 2014, when I picked my username- maybe they named themselves after me :) ....I think they probably didn't....
Baby nova is good!!
our three year old is good,
My 4 year old granddaughter (and her Mom) stopped by yesterday- I got to give them both hugs for the first time in quite awhile- no kisses yet though...that's next!
So sweet that she loves her baby sis.
My granddaughters have only met once since Nova was born (Valentines Day)
The 4 year old was miffed because we wouldn't put Nova on the floor so she could play with her
(" I promise I won't break her!")
I was snuggling with the two of them yesterday
I really miss that...one of these days things will get back to fairly normal...
but could never explain things as well as you just did for me.
Another Thank You to farside05 for the link- It explained everything that I thought I knew,but obviously didn't!
gives the plant more Silica than just plain Mega Crop (where I think Mega Crop is lacking).
I'm adding a little silica to my feeds now too (Silica Blast)
I wonder if MCv3 has any more in it than v2?
Bluter started that thread but I was pretty active in it. Lots of wars.
I followed that thread for awhile...shoulda followed it longer, apparently.

I was going to switch to promix, but my last trip to Home Depot,they were out of it.

There's a link in my signature to make your own. Bale of Peat, Perlite, Lime, and a little effort is all you need. It's about 60% of the cost as buying pre-made.

about 60% of the cost as buying pre-made.
That sounds good- I welcome a project to keep me busy-I'm totally out of potting soil,so I've got to do something soon- I'm going to need 10 gallons soon for a plant that's moving outside .
Home depot's got all the stuff- $34.00 + tax for everything, (and I've got the wheelbarrow) so I'll be heading there tomorrow morning.
Thanks once again, @farside05!

That sounds good- I welcome a project to keep me busy-I'm totally out of potting soil,so I've got to do something soon- I'm going to need 10 gallons soon for a plant that's moving outside .
Home depot's got all the stuff- $34.00 + tax for everything, (and I've got the wheelbarrow) so I'll be heading there tomorrow morning.
Thanks once again, @farside05!

Last I made, I just cleaned off a spot on the drive, emptied a whole bale of Peat, wet and turned it with a square tip shovel till it was all damp. Added the whole 2cf bag of Perlite, mixed, 5 cups lime, mixed. Filled pots. Bought a big tote at Home Depot to keep the excess in. A whole bale of Peat and whole bag of Perlite will make 45-50 gallons of soil-less mix. A shovel and a big flat surface was easier than in the wheelbarrow. I even got the kids to do some of it.

I just cleaned off a spot on the drive,
I've got a slab in front of my shop so that's where I'll do it... and totes- I've got totes out the wazoo-my kids have all moved back in for awhile after they moved out initially, and they've left totes (and a bunch of other crap) here when they moved out for the second time,so I've got like 9 big empty totes in the garage
A cement mixer works well too.
I used to have an old homemade cement mixer, but Mrs.C. gave it to a friend to use as "yard art"-it actually spun too fast to mix things anyway....it was like a hundred years old, made from a big old milk can...

Ooh ooh can I jump in and repeat what MrS and farside said?
You allegedly don't have to pH your water when using Mega Crop, but old habits die hard.
Please don't believe everything you read on these forums. Please!
I can’t find anywhere saying you don’t have to ph it but it is a vegan nutrient whatever that means. Maybe it’s like organic? No idea but I bought a blue labs ph meter so I guess I should use it.
It means vegans can eat it, because it smells like poop!
My wife says it smells like poop.
And your wife is correct.
I know @InTheShed hasn't pH'd his water for a long time, and his plants grow just fine(exceptionally well, in fact)...Something about Mega Crop being amino acid based nutrients as opposed to salt based.
This means that the nutes are available to the plants under a lot wider pH range.
At least that's how I understand it
Please don't confuse those who know things and back it up with science from those who don't. Please!
Shed doesn’t PH because he grows in pro mix HP I thought. Be nice if you are correct about that other stuff , which I think you are.
Right, ProMix is buffered, as all good (non-hydro) substrates should be. That is the only reason I don't need to pH, and I wouldn't with FoxFarms, Dynagrow, Remo, or any other salt based nutrient.
Actually Shed or anyone else who runs a buffered media does not have to pH their nutes. It really has nothing to do with the type of nutes used.
:thanks:
Also good to review this LINK re: Salts, Aminos, etc. Mega Crop primarily consists of the same Salts that every other fertilizer is made of.
:thanks:
" I promise I won't break her!"
She already knows all the right lines :).
I'm adding a little silica to my feeds now too (Silica Blast)
I've been adding ½ Tbsp of diatomaceous earth/gallon of water after mixing up the MC to see how the plants do with that as a source of non-potassium based silica. And so far I can tell you I haven't had any PM on the spring grow, and I can't even get my thumbnail through most of the branches on my hermie AF-47 when I try to take off the ones with balls. I have to keep getting the trimmers. The experiment with DE will continue.

I've been adding ½ Tbsp of diatomaceous earth/gallon of water after mixing up the MC to see how the plants do with that as a source of non-potassium based silica. And so far I can tell you I haven't had any PM on the spring grow, and I can't even get my thumbnail through most of the branches on my hermie AF-47 when I try to take off the ones with balls. I have to keep getting the trimmers. The experiment with DE will continue.

Excellent news on no PM. Another way to skin the Silica cat.

I know it is old news now but I thought I could show you just how salty MC can be. These pics are from yesterdays harvest. I bottom fed coco and didn't flush the pots for 8 weeks to see what would happen....
DSC02104.JPG
DSC02113.JPG
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02133.JPG
DSC02171.JPG

I've been adding ½ Tbsp of diatomaceous earth/gallon of water after mixing up the MC
I saw in your journal the benefits of a little silica in the mix, and I was ordering little hygrometers
from azon anyway, so I had them throw in some Silica Blast.
Please don't confuse those who know things and back it up with science from those who don't. Please!
I do need to start reading entire threads, instead of picking up bits and pieces everywhere...
Excellent news on no PM. Another way to skin the Silica cat.
I'm hoping the silica will give my outdoor plants a little bug resistance
Congrats on notm carcass!!
Thank you, BL !
Congrats on the win Cass. Super purple!
Thanks, Prof!
I bottom fed coco and didn't flush the pots for 8 weeks to see what would happen....
Yipes!- MC is some salty stuff !

Congrats on nug of the month:goodjob:
Thanks, Smokey !

Congrats on notm carcass!
Thanks,THC !

I saw in your journal the benefits of a little silica in the mix, and I was ordering little hygrometers
from azon anyway, so I had them throw in some Silica Blast.

I do need to start reading entire threads, instead of picking up bits and pieces everywhere...

If you like saving money, look at my signature on how to make your own Silica supplement. It's about 1/3 the cost of buying bottled.

It's not so much reading entire threads. What if the whole thread is full of misinformation or Bro-Science? Now you just got more bad information. You should be able to ask for source references that are more than John Q Moonbeam, Hippie Extrordinaire, and get a link to a lab or .edu agricultural website to back up any claims the author may have. If the author can't provide it, be very dubious of said info.

Time for the Monday update!

Both seedlings are still alive(!) and transplanted on Saturday- the Chem Dawg (photo, 12 days old) into a 1 gallon,
and the Alaskan Purple auto(10 days old) into it's final 3 gallon home.
The Gelat.og auto is taking well to the quadline training, and remarkably,it's not flowering yet (29 days old)
I've begun adding a little Silica Blast to their feed- I have on good authority ( Thanks @InTheShed !) that silica is good for the plant's structure, and it helps make the plant more resistant to pests and other things that you don't want happening to your plants...so we'll see how/if it works.

Here's the Saugaview®...Gelato.og on the left, Chem Dawg middle, and AP on the right.
I wasn't going to grow another AP right away...but I managed to kill the last Pink Kush seed,so I didn't have much choice...
The Gelat.og is getting 4g/gal Mega Crop, and the little ones are on 2g/gal.

1591040342263.jpeg

Same thing,different angle:
1591040479071.jpeg

One of the arms on the Gelat.og auto split into 2 branches...the last two autos I've grown both had a double buds on them, looks like this one is going for the same thing...
So I'm trying to spread them apart a little...double buds look cool and all,but if they're too close together, they don't really do very well.
1591040778132.jpeg

Not much else going on in there, so lets take a look at the outside girl:

She's continuing with the "maybe I'm flowering, maybe I'm not" thing- she put out nothing but funny leaves for a week or so, then yesterday, more pistils started popping out. She's 102 days old today, and 49 days into flowering/not flowering. Fed 6g/gal of Mega Crop+ 4ml. Silica Blast/gal.
Only 16.5 inches tall, possibly thanks to her Low Ryder mom.
1591040970001.jpeg

You can see what I'm talking about here:
1591041285810.jpeg

All the sugar leaves have a black border on them- doesn't mean a thing, but looks pretty cool !
1591041430982.jpeg

So she gets to keep growing till she makes up her mind what she wants to do...

And that's about all for today!

Thanks for Looking!
And thanks for the support here, and in the Nug o the Month contest!
I appreciate you all , please stay safe out there!:peace:

Back
Top Bottom