Cardice?

GigaGrew

neither Cardice or dry ice seen to come up iin the search i thought i would bring the subject up.

Has anyone grown using this stuff as a means of co2 enrichment?

i think people should seriously give it some consideration. not only can it produce an ambundant level of co2, it does it with a cooling mechanism. i think this stuff might just be an essential to an advanced grower.

co2 as we know sinks, so im thinking you fellas with the high pressure lights could take serious advantage of using dry ice above your lights, it will cool your lights on the way down and still feed the plants.

discuss pls.

I thought about that to gig, but the cost of the ice would out weigh the gain imo. but if someone has made this viable I sure would like to hear about it:thumb:

im not so sure the expense is all that bad, if you think of a swimming pool (the cheap ass circular ones you self assemble on the lawn), if you put just 1 or two little capsules in a cup of water inside one of them, all the co2 fog would fill the pool and stay there till it dissapates (except for wind movement). I think if you buy one of those big blocks and put it in the freezer it may last a while as it has low surface area to melt, plus any melting will further reduce your freezers temprature, saving electric. just take a chip off every day.

just speculating here, only had the idea a little while ago ;)

well its not a bad Idea, are you going to give it a go? like to hear how it works:)

well I made a co2generator like youve seen before with the gallon jug yeast surgar and water on my first grow and I geuss it helped. and I know you were talking about them before, but as long as I can keep my room temps down. I haven't used it since. but up in your attic space it might be the beez kneez:) so if you figure it out a way to make cost effective, well I'am all in:thumb:oh yeah I know you can make homemade Icecream in 5 mns with dry ice if nothing else lol

yeah im running an experiment atm in a test tube, half a test tube of water with just a few grains of yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. the bag i have over the top isnt expanding, i dont know if they would need a bag of air to convert to co2 or if an empty bag would fill up like a baloon, either way, its bubbling away and i dont think the bag is a perfect seal...for now i just want to see how long they will live. next time i can use loads of yeast in a big tub with a bin liner or something for a much more measurable pressure.

right now my main focus is is calculating how little yeast is needed in a test tube to seed a colony and how long that colony can last.

thinking of designing a 'roof rack' of testtubes above my grow area (since co2 falls) and using a sort of ebb and flow to fill the testubes with sweet water, then follow on with a small amout of yeast solution per tube. when these tubes are toxic to themselves they get flushed and go again. it may need a twin rack so that one batch is in full production whilst the old/new one is at its lowest production.

i need to refine the idea to its ultimate end product and if its any good there may be a commercial use later =)

GEDC01553.JPG

thats cool when I was useing mine 1 package of yeast and surgar and water would bubble almost 2 weeks before I had to reenergize it. it did seem to help for what its worth. now that my daughter gave me back my big ac unit I havent used it again:thumb:
yeah im running an experiment atm in a test tube, half a test tube of water with just a few grains of yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. the bag i have over the top isnt expanding, i dont know if they would need a bag of air to convert to co2 or if an empty bag would fill up like a baloon, either way, its bubbling away and i dont think the bag is a perfect seal...for now i just want to see how long they will live. next time i can use loads of yeast in a big tub with a bin liner or something for a much more measurable pressure.

right now my main focus is is calculating how little yeast is needed in a test tube to seed a colony and how long that colony can last.

thinking of designing a 'roof rack' of testtubes above my grow area (since co2 falls) and using a sort of ebb and flow to fill the testubes with sweet water, then follow on with a small amout of yeast solution per tube. when these tubes are toxic to themselves they get flushed and go again. it may need a twin rack so that one batch is in full production whilst the old/new one is at its lowest production.

i need to refine the idea to its ultimate end product and if its any good there may be a commercial use later =)

I posted this in another thread, but I actually made a video doing this about a week ago.... works well, but CO2 doesn't last very long in the freezer, so you need to be able to store it in something different than a freezer, or have direct access to it constantly ...

Here's the video..

Great Vid Icemud! its real nice to see someone actually using the stuff =D

im thinking of buying it in 10k blocks as they say that sublimates the slowest. i notice your ice is all broken up in that newspaper. was that deliberate or accident as it will last longer as a single piece?

you see how fast the fog falls! when calculating the volume it will store, you need to think of it like a waterfall flowing, with no obstructions it willl want to lay 1 molecule thick on the floor.

I notice your scrog room is closed on 3 sides. if you make a little wall on this side you filmed from, you will basically have a 4 wall room with no roof sort of thing. Co2 that falls into that room will be trapped and will fill it up to the level of your barrier (which should be as high as your highest bud). i think you will get a shit load more bang for your buck doing this....if you have a co2 meter you can put in there, you can watch how long the room remains saturated for between co2 feedings. i seriously think, just by adding a 4th wall, you can increase the amount of co2 your plants get per dose and reduce the frequency and volume you need to purchase.

if you do try this and your as happy with the results as i think you will be, we need to start thinking about the fact the pots at the bottom might drown in co2 (since our plants need oxygen on the roots). i believe this can easily be remedied by piping air directly into the soil (which will rise like helium in a room full of co2).

how much is dry ice including delivery charges?

i agree. unless you have a fantastic budget or are an elite bob the builder its unlikely you can always pre calculate the co2 in the air, best is a real time feed.

think im going to change my breeding stocks when money stops being an issue, want something short but with an 'enlightened buzz'.
the shorter the better, then i may simply split my grow room in 2 horizontally, pump oxygen (prolly go fully airoponic at somepoint) in the bottom half and co2 in the top half.

im a huge fan of the idea of setting up a sealed greenhouse with nothing but an alectric feed and a water feed/drain, setting up the grow room and coming back 60 days later, all my efforts will be going in this direction once the basic supply is set up. (im crazy enough to build a full on underground grow bunker under my wild garden and pimp the garden out with solar panels.

:thumb: i wanna do that to... just need a garden now..

1 or 2 decent crops and an outlet and its time to rent a new house to live in =D

i live in a bought house, but will be renting a different property to live in whilst this one gets done up, then its time to rent this one out, get another on mortgage and rent a 3rd discreet location to conduct my hobby.
thinking of an old farm with a little bit of land or something. missus is getting into growing now, just bought loads of seeds, tomato, golden alexander strawberrys, a bunch of herbs and some other random veg...im thinking farm indeed ;)

Great Vid Icemud! its real nice to see someone actually using the stuff =D

im thinking of buying it in 10k blocks as they say that sublimates the slowest. i notice your ice is all broken up in that newspaper. was that deliberate or accident as it will last longer as a single piece?

you see how fast the fog falls! when calculating the volume it will store, you need to think of it like a waterfall flowing, with no obstructions it willl want to lay 1 molecule thick on the floor.

I notice your scrog room is closed on 3 sides. if you make a little wall on this side you filmed from, you will basically have a 4 wall room with no roof sort of thing. Co2 that falls into that room will be trapped and will fill it up to the level of your barrier (which should be as high as your highest bud). i think you will get a shit load more bang for your buck doing this....if you have a co2 meter you can put in there, you can watch how long the room remains saturated for between co2 feedings. i seriously think, just by adding a 4th wall, you can increase the amount of co2 your plants get per dose and reduce the frequency and volume you need to purchase.

if you do try this and your as happy with the results as i think you will be, we need to start thinking about the fact the pots at the bottom might drown in co2 (since our plants need oxygen on the roots). i believe this can easily be remedied by piping air directly into the soil (which will rise like helium in a room full of co2).

how much is dry ice including delivery charges?

I actually have a 4th wall. when I introduce the dry ice/ I close up the tent, turn off all ventilation fans for a good 20 minutes and let the CO2 pool in the tent... usually 20 mins is the time it takes where my temps creep up to aroundd 90F so then I turn my extraction fans on 1 at a time.

CO2 was in brick form, but I broke it up with a hammer, thats why the chunks...was easier to apply. The bricks only will last about 1 day in the freezer, not sure how else to store them for longer lasting. The bricks themself cost only a few dollars though. I pick up the dry ice at an ice cream store... (where ice cream vendors get there snacks)

ive had a bit of an idea and of the two of us you seem best placed to trial it( i havnt even located an easy access source yet).

im assuming your piping in clean air and venting the hot exhaust air. also the bigger the block, the lower the overall rate of loss.

im thinking that you cut into your air in pipe and add a chamber, inside that chamber you could put in a cooler box with the lid on but loose (so pressure can escape) and in the cooler you put the biggest single block that can fit in. i figure that you can then run your fans like normal and seal your room so you dont kill yourself with pumped in co2, lol( i highly reccomend the camping survival sheets i use in my grow, they ar air tight, reflective and transparent).

questions that need answering are
the decay rate of this system
the increase in co2 becomes what ppm and for what duration....
in a perfect world, if your running a 18/6 light schedule you would want your co2 block to take 18 hours to decay and pop a fresh one in each day, alternativly it goes well with gas light method for just the 12 hours, further increasing the difference between the day and the one hour of lit rest.

what do you think?

oh yeah and pre mixing the evaporating co2 into the cool air intake should also drop its temprature but not add humidity

That is similar to what I was thinking gigabane, good idea.... Yeah if there were a box that could be placed inline to my air intake, where I could drop a large CO2 block in there for constant CO2, would be an excellent way to give a steady flow of CO2. Honestly my tent is too small to really take the CO2 too serious and I have had 2 very successful grows without any CO2 besides the fermenation method, and my nugs have always come out really dank, and dense. I can't wait till I have more room to grow in, where a room can be set, and pretty much operate on its own...

Back
Top Bottom