Carterhkrs' First Indoor Soil Grow - Blue Mystic, Northern Lights - 2013

Carterhkrs

Hey everyone!

Growing:
1 Blue Mystic (seedling stage)

3 Northern Lights (1 just sprouted, 1 in soil waiting on her to break grounds, 1 is still germinating, gonna put it in soil tomorrow)

Set up:
walk-in closet (bad idea - already realized, temp is a big concern, but decided to struggle this grow a bit and for next one getting a wardrobe to grow in it :cheesygrinsmiley:)

2 oscilating fans, 1 AC (put it work as a fan)

400W HPS light with no cooling tube

Soil:
For now they are in Perlite and peat moss mix 50/50 suggestions on soils are very much welcome.

Blue Mystic seedling

Day 1
IMG_5066_zpsa7d8ba03.jpg

Day 2
IMG_5072_zpsefb7a363.jpg

Day 4
IMG_5092_zpsf40c1d84.jpg

Whole set up:
IMG_5098_zps65f2c035.jpg

They are 24/7 under light, lights are 10" from tha plant
Avg temps are 82-88F I know its high but im trying hard to keep them as cool as possible, any suggestions on how to place my fans more efficent will be appreciated :hmmmm:

Next time will try to take pics with DSLR camera, hope Ill get better pics :cheesygrinsmiley:

Good start there, I would raise the light a bit and try and get away from the clear soda bottle bottoms with that light the roots won't like you very much when the plant starts to grow. Any chance of a hole in the ceiling? could put a bathroom exhaust fan in and go right into the attic that would help, heat rises. Once the plants have some growth you can lower the lights and keep a fan blowing right at or just over the canopy will help keep them cooler then just water and feed and you are good to go, heat sucks I know. Run a 600w HPS in a 4x4 tent with exhaust fan and all that and can still hit the low 90's. Keep them green and all will be good, Peace OG.

Thanx man!
Im running it dimmed by 50% so it outputs about 200W I think this hight is fine for this wattage? I put it that low so plant doesnt stretch,
hole in a ceiling wont work, there is a stairway above that closet lol but i did a small hole in a left wall (where the white fan is) was gonna put few 120 pc fans for exhaust, will that help?

Im thinking the tapering of the 'box' makes the hieght misleading. For heat that is. The cubic volume may be too small for that size light? May I suggest some cool running CFLS to buy some time (few days) until a better solution is given? Couple bags of Ice in front of them fans wont hurt either for temporary solution.

Im thinking the tapering of the 'box' makes the hieght misleading. For heat that is. The cubic volume may be too small for that size light? May I suggest some cool running CFLS to buy some time (few days) until a better solution is given? Couple bags of Ice in front of them fans wont hurt either for temporary solution.

Putting bottles of ice in front of AC helped to drop temps to 79-86
IMG_5118_zps071e3602.jpg

Thnx man ;)

Nice setup! It will help if you raise the lights a little bit. The ice is a good idea. A fan that pulls out the viced air and fan that push in fresh air will help you a lot, believe me it help to drop down the temperature and maintain fresher my grow tent. If you have some free time drop by my journal, I am also growing NL. :D

Btw, I'm subbed.

Peace and keep it green.

It is caused by the heat. What's your room temp? Another thing is that seedlings need more humidity. You can cover them the first days with a tupperware to create a dome. Check you light height and the temp to determine if is heat problem. As a suggestion, during the first week after sprouting I have found very useful to use CFLs instead of a HID lamp. It generates a decent amount of light for your seedlings and don't cause you heat problems. I hope you find this out helpful.

It is caused by the heat. What's your room temp? Another thing is that seedlings need more humidity. You can cover them the first days with a tupperware to create a dome. Check you light height and the temp to determine if is heat problem. As a suggestion, during the first week after sprouting I have found very useful to use CFLs instead of a HID lamp. It generates a decent amount of light for your seedlings and don't cause you heat problems. I hope you find this out helpful.

Dont think heat is a problem, raised the light for about 3-4" and with ice my temps are stable on 79-82, humidity is 40-45, leaves are not going up, they curl even more, touching stem already, even thou they are damn hard, healthy leaves, the new set of leaves are also starting to curl down... so advices are appreciated :)

when she just sprouted temps were 88-90 and they curled but not that bad so i have no explanation in her behaviour lol

measured ph of souil and its 7.4 damn high so,
decided to put them asleep for 6 hours, dont think its gonna hurt them, want to wait on my soil to get dry without fast growing-curling leaves and then water it with lower ph level water, if i make water 5.5-6ph balance will it help to lower soil's ph balance or should i go lower for my water's ph to fix that soil?

you want a pH of 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and a pH of 6.5 for soil. i would adjust your feed water to pH 6.5 and water with that as it gradually comes down with watering.

here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Dont think heat is a problem, raised the light for about 3-4" and with ice my temps are stable on 79-82, humidity is 40-45, leaves are not going up, they curl even more, touching stem already, even thou they are damn hard, healthy leaves, the new set of leaves are also starting to curl down... so advices are appreciated :)

when she just sprouted temps were 88-90 and they curled but not that bad so i have no explanation in her behaviour lol

In that case could be over watering .

My first thought is PH issue. Mine did the same thing. One almost inverted the leaves. Make sure you leave the water out 24-48 hours if using tap. Ill try to see if I can find a link to a similar issue.

Back
Top Bottom