Caterpillars eating leaves

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

From that thread.

"Caterpillars (cutworms, cabbageworms, ect.)
chewed leaves. Damage: Most caterpillars feed on plants of some kind, they can feed on wool and hair (the clothes moth) Some are pests in gardens and yards. The leaf roller caterpillars can cause some severe damage of trees and shrubs, while others, such as cabbage loopers, and cutworms can cause severe damage to gardens.
If you find caterpillars have been eating at your plants,garden and you need to get rid of them are several non-toxic and least toxic methods to choose from.

Controls
Hand picking: Easit way to controll them is to pick them up and knock them into a bucket of soapy. If you are scared about handling caterpillars, you can use some gloves or have someone else pick them up for you.

Chemical:
BTK in dust form can be used to kill caterpillars. BTK can also be used to foliar spray your plants. One tablespoon of neem oil added to your BT mix helps stick the mix to the plants better when you are foliar spraying.. BTK is available in liquid form. Apply BTK on all of the leaves both top and underside If you decided using the dust kind,spray your plants down with water before you apply the dust Apply every week to 2 weeks and or after it rains. The caterpillars must eat the BT as they are feeding on foliage in order for the caterpillars to be rid of.

Organic ways:
Insecticidal soaps, neem, oil, and spinosad are the safest insecticides that can be used to control.. Soaps and neem are non-toxic and are great to use when you have a lot of pets and want to be friendly to nature and its animals. Spinosad works very very good in controlling the caterpillar population and is non toxic to wild-life, pets, and humans. It hardly has any impact at all on the plants.

Picture 1 shows damage from caterpillars."

BT=Bacillus Thuringiensis

Either a concentrate, or a product containing it will do the trick.

I get the concentrate, THURICIDE, but I use it quite a bit for horned worms on my tomatoes.

DD

Are you sure it's a caterpillar? I'm certainly no expert on bugs, but like Droopy Dog, I've had my fair share of the horned worms in my tomatoes, and I had one type of caterpillar in my grow (it hid in the hydroton during the day - I found him by digging around a little). Those start at the edge of the leaf and eat the whole thing inward towards the stem, as opposed to eating holes in the leaf. My first thought on holes would be some kind of sucker bug. In any case, it sounds like some sort of insect. A plant safe insecticide is what I'd start with.

BT, HD, Lowes, just about any place with a garden shop. Just look at the label to see if it contains it. Dipel is one.

I don't mess with neem much, so no info there.

DD

Back
Top Bottom