Catman's Autoflowering LED Closet Grow - White Widow & Pineapple Express

Re: Catman's Autoflowering LED Closet Grow - White Widow and Pineapple Express

Is the suspense eating away at you? It was for me, I was pretty anxious.

A good bowl helped. :volcano-smiley:

Dude! I am WITHOUT!

Checking in before work.

I did enough work this morning already! Seeds opened enough to where I could see tap root. WW is definitely more willing than PE. Into presoaked soil (watered to drain last night), loosely covered, and spritzed w/water for encouragement.

Now, it has been unseasonably cold here, so I am running the LED for purely heat purposes. Have a black trash bag lightly covering the pots for darkness and also some warmth. LED at 30" We'll see how long they take to break through

...or if they do?

Learning is hard

A life lesson:

So, I was trying to get ready for work and tend to this grow when I looked over the sheet enclosed with my light. On the other side from the recommendations/grow tips is a list of care instructions for the light. Things like blow dust from the cooling fans and, yes, clean the light with window cleaner for optimal production value.

So, yeah, that never recurred to me. So, yeah, I took the time to do it.

When I got home Holy S*IT was that closet HOT

Turned off the light and spritzed the soil hoping these new seedlings aren't baked dry

Is the suspense eating away at you? It was for me, I was pretty anxious.

Yes, yes indeed I am feeling anxious about now LOL!

But, if there is a fail, there are a few seeds left to start over again. On the PLUS side: Can you imagine how much better the lighting situation will be for optimal growth? The LED myth is dead as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone! Clean your lights!

(unless I'm the only one who just never thought of it):rofl:

You've got enough good karma to soak up a mistake or two without a hitch.

Sending some positive vibes your way.

Cheers!
/Obi-Wan
:high-five:

Hey Catman. :geek: Just stopped by to say hi. Hope things are going well for you and the new seeds! Sorry to read you are 'out'. That is a huge bummer! :volcano-smiley: I would happily share if I could.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Helps a lot.

Work has been too much and I have indeed had sprouting fail...but I have started over. That's what learning is after all.

So, I have wiped from my mind that I have paid for these seeds and am just going along as if I found 'em on the floor.

"Oh look! A cannabis seed! Think I'll throw it in some dirt and see what happens!"

The thing that gets me is that I'm too tired to think/analyze what I'm doing wrong at this point. Maybe the soil was too dry (over compensating for being an over-waterer), Maybe it was that day of too high heat in the closet? IDK

I know for a fact that at some point in time I will have cannabis growing. And I will also become an experienced grower. But for right now I'm still don't have my bearings!

Did you toss the seeds yet? How many days did you wait?

Did you toss the seeds yet? How many days did you wait?

Hey Ms Magic - I am trying to remember. Today would have been the third day? Maybe just the second. After work I carefully brushed through the soil but could not find PE. Found WW who looked exactly the same. So I put her in a smaller 2 gal pot and used the two 3 gal for the seeds I had soaking overnight last night.

There are SO MANY versions of seed planting. What worked great last time is undoable for me this time because they're autos. (I had a small cup under CFL on the clothes dryer to keep warm).

So, now I have 3 pots going in that closet! Lord almighty only knows what will happen next! I do know this, once I find what works for me I'm sticking to it!

The main factor really is the cold. There is no place naturally warm in this condo. Our weather turned to fall as soon as my seeds arrived I sh*t you not. Lows in the 40's highs in the mid 60's. I am conflicted about running the LED for warmth thinking the seeds are really in the dark under the dirt (??). I have a roommate to consider so keeping the heat on while we're at work may be a battle I have to engage in (?)

That was way more writing than the question you asked.

:)

I started my seed in my old aerogarden and then moved her to into a DWC setup. My baby bro Sweetleef starts his seeds in a red solo cup with some soil. You'll find what you like and what works for you. I don't know where you are, but I am out in northwestern Oregon and fall has shown up here too. They do make little seedling mats that are basically little waterproof heating pads for germinating. Mine is put out by HydroFarm, if memory serves, works like a charm for veggie seeds. Or maybe a small space heater? I'm home all of the time and I keep the house warm. My problem will most likely be keeping my temps cool enough! (I don't keep the house THAT warm :cheesygrinsmiley: but close) Have a Happy Friedday!

I might suggest you not describe future shipping arrangements. It could potential put at risk the group from which you got your seeds. just FIY.

As for the grow I am very excited to see a healthy mix of autos. Good luck! Lets rock!

We all screw up seeds at one point or another. Brush it off and move on.

I used to use the moist paper towel and then plant. Now I just plant. Usually takes about thee days for them to break ground and I usually have to 'help out' with the shell removal. A seedling heating mat as suggested in previous post would be a good idea. Seeds take longer to sprout and get going as it gets colder. What is the temp in the area you're trying to do this?

I might suggest you not describe future shipping arrangements. It could potential put at risk the group from which you got your seeds. just FIY.

As for the grow I am very excited to see a healthy mix of autos. Good luck! Lets rock!

Point well taken J1. Absolutely. My intention was to maybe encourage anyone who is concerned with the need for stealth that it was a doable arrangement - but maybe a bad judgement call.

Thanks for stopping by and for the Good Luck! :)

I was gonna read your new journal....but then I got high....

:rofl:

but im here now....:popcorn:

Good to see you Pittbull! Hope to give you a good show! :)

We all screw up seeds at one point or another. Brush it off and move on.

Thanks Seraphim. And thanks everybody for your germination input - Feedback helps

Now that I've had some rest from work I can remember better my 2 previous successes at germination. Hazel was my second go-round.

I had 2 seeds germinating under CFL on top the dryer and a heating pad when Mom got terribly sick and I had to leave. They sprouted while I was gone according to my roommate who didn't know what to do with them. Then there was Hazel.

My original contention was the Keep it Simple strategy that in the wild seeds just sprout from soil under the sun, so I put them in soil after soaking them then directly under the CFL. I think I used paper toweling with Hazel, but planted before the tap root got even 1/4 inch.

Both times it was too cool IMHO even on top the dryer with the heating pad (automatic shut off - safety first LOL!) and It did take 3 or 4 days? Maybe more.

So, anyway. I have the LED which keeps the closet BTW 75-80 IF I let the air flow (which I didn't the fateful day I cleaned the light). I can get it up to over 80 for mature plants if I block air flow. Without the LED the closet area dips to under 70 at this time.

But then I think the LED is too bright? The CFL won't work with these big pots. It's too small.

I will just need to wait and see. Waiting is HARD. But I advise my Client's on the benefits of waiting so the joke is on me. (Booooooo)

Next strategy is just to see if the indoor garden store in the Big City still has peat pots so I can germinate/sprout under the CFL then place the autos in their permanent 3 gal home.

TL;DR:

Thanks for the support!

I need to just wait

:peace:

I'm a little late to the discussion but I'll add my $0.02 in case you have not started the next seeds yet.

I would also suggest the paper towel method. Make a ceramic container out of a couple saucers or dinner plates. It will warm and hold heat evenly. You could set a warm bulb near by or set them under the LED to keep the plates warm. 48 hours and Bob's your uncle.

See the start of both of my journals for pictures. 13 seeds. 100% success.

Cheers!
/Obi Wan
:peace:

I have had great success at germinating seeds in water. I've done 1-30+ seeds this way and always had 90%+ germ rate. Take plain tap water and fill up a cup or small container. I use bead containers they hold approx 20ml shot glass is also good. Fill it with the water and after add the seed. Leave till next day(24h pref) and check for roots. Change water wait another day. Remove all seeds with roots as they get to about 1-2cm plant them. Change water daily, check daily and you should have everything pop in the first 2 days.

I've had some particularly large auto seeds that needed to be nicked first and soaked in water,4-5 days later the buggers popped, almost threw em out!

I'm a little late to the discussion but I'll add my $0.02 in case you have not started the next seeds yet. I would also suggest the paper towel method...

I have had great success at germinating seeds in water. I've done 1-30+ seeds this way and always had 90%+ germ rate...

Too Late. (???) Unless I could dig them out and start over? Maybe, you never know. I read soooo much and have seen so many pictorial demonstrations regarding germination before I started down this path.

I soak and use paper toweling, but not as far as long root growth. I cannot for the life of me imagine taking a seedling with the long white root and safely getting it into soil all in one piece. I have read enough from folks who operate with depositing seed directly in soil I just decided to lean that way instead.

Maybe I should change my mind. My lack of confidence may be my ruination. (???)

Damn plants LOL!

12607.JPG

I like what you're doing right there right now. that's what I do. Right into the media, cover with plastic, keep warm. 3 or so days. Done deal. But you're the one who has to be comfortable with it. I'd say let them be and they'll do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom