Catman's Closet - Bag Seed - LED Grow — First Grow - 2014

Yes, I am most likely going to let it finish itself out naturally as long as I don't see male flowers. I am curious what it will look like and what may come of it. I have never had a mutant before, but I have read in various places that the buds that come off mutants is not all that great and the big question is.. will it go hermy? that is a deal breaker for me. No male flowers anywhere, period.

I went away for the weekend and he sure filled out while I was gone

1_8_5.JPG

1_5_7.JPG

1_3_15.JPG

1_2_16.JPG

Work tomorrow...

I came home from work today and this plant seems gigantic all-of-the-sudden.

I set about to reorganize this grow closet, remove the plant, and cant help but inspect it. Is this SEX I see? Get my roommates 10x loupe and set about to examine this thing like I know something.

From what I've read [with pictures] Hazel is indeed a male.

It's a bitty ball with a "claw-like" end.

How long to I wait I wonder before I make him into butter? Still seed shopping and waiting for first paycheck, so he has some time left...

:straightface:

I came home from work today and this plant seems gigantic all-of-the-sudden.

I set about to reorganize this grow closet, remove the plant, and cant help but inspect it. Is this SEX I see? Get my roommates 10x loupe and set about to examine this thing like I know something.

From what I've read [with pictures] Hazel is indeed a male.

It's a bitty ball with a "claw-like" end.

How long to I wait I wonder before I make him into butter? Still seed shopping and waiting for first paycheck, so he has some time left...

:straightface:

Any pics buddy?

I have done this too with good success in the past. You have to play with it a little to find the right focus but when you do the result is pretty amazing.

your camera may not be that good but I have many times used my camera/phone in conjunction with the loupe to take pictures. Just a thought for your brain lol.

Sometimes calyxes swell up and look similar to a "crabs claw". Make sure that your not mistaking this for male parts. Males will quickly grow clusters of tiny round pods, while the female will grow pistils (or hairs). Keep an eye on it and see if it grows pistils or more "balls". You still have plenty of time before it will produce any pollen (if its male) so fingers crossed..... :volcano-smiley:

your camera may not be that good but I have many times used my camera/phone in conjunction with the loupe to take pictures. Just a thought for your brain lol.

I have done this too with good success in the past. You have to play with it a little to find the right focus but when you do the result is pretty amazing.

Great idea and I tried! Pictures did not come out well. I have to practice, It's tough with bi-focals :rofl:

I'm going to upload the other shots that did turn out OK though...

Sometimes calyxes swell up and look similar to a "crabs claw". Make sure that your not mistaking this for male parts. Males will quickly grow clusters of tiny round pods, while the female will grow pistils (or hairs). Keep an eye on it and see if it grows pistils or more "balls". You still have plenty of time before it will produce any pollen (if its male) so fingers crossed..... :volcano-smiley:

Thanks for the info Pittbull - It gave me a little bit of hope! I agree I probably have plenty of time, I think I'm rushing too much trying to sex it. There wasn't much change in that little nub when I got home from work today. Update to follow...

Small Update:

I spent the evening after work reworking the closet in preparation for future grows. I put up a better grade Mylar and covered the entire area, including the backs of the 2 sliding doors. Heavy duty trash bags on the floor to try and protect the carpet. Mylar and bags sealed pretty well on the edges with gorilla tape. I'm using the broiler pan for a run off tray and it's been working really well. The light will need to be centered better. Depending on the height of any flowering plant, the light will need to be hung higher. Judging by pot size I'd go with 2 plants, 3 max depending on how large or small some of the auto flowers get. Definitely only 2 photoperiod.

Now, aside form the smell and lack of some needed metric devices I'm OK for now I think *knocking on wood* Luckily I can keep the door to the room closed, and so the closet open for air circulation and heat regulation if need be.

Going to the Big City this weekend to look at a Hydro store near where I grew up to look at ONA, and to the garden store to look at soil. I believe I get first pay next week - thinking of seeds for next grow.

Pictures of the humble closet and of Hazel. I may just put him on 12/12 to see what happens. I could also be patient and wait another week.

2_2_6.JPG

2_1_3.JPG

1_1_15.JPG

1_2_17.JPG

He may still be small - but he has a big cannabis odor! I almost feel buzzed being in the same room as him! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice setup Catman12! Your plant is getting bigger!!

If I had to call it right now, I'd agree with you on that. But don't take my word for it. A little time or someone more knowledgeable than yours truly will tell.

Well I gave it another go with the loupe and my phone and think I got some pretty good evidence that what I have here are male preflowers. COMMENTS??? Thanks for your encouragement!

3_1_4.jpg

3_2_2.jpg

Keep an eye on it, gender will become more evident every day.

MALE. pure male there.

Thanks Greyhawk

:thumb:

Male. That's what Ive been thinking. Well, I'm going to count this first grow as a success because:

• I got a seed to grow big enough to tell the sex
  • I learned about OVER WATERING
  • I learned more about soil
  • I got the closet set up better for future grows
  • I learned how to use a loupe with my phone to get good pictures (Thanks!)
  • I ended my 15+ year dry spell from weed and confirmed it is good medicine for me
  • I learned how to make and use a journal on 420
  • I'm subscribed to a lot of very good journals which help a lot

Now we'll see how soon I get the next grow started and how I deal with Hazel. He's going to grow here at least for a little while longer...

:Namaste:

If you have the time and energy don't chop yet. Continue to watch how it grows for a couple weeks. I would think you should see male clusters form rather than a single Calyx.

What is the plants age and current light cycle?

/Obi

Back
Top Bottom