Caution with dogs

Great thread! Gotta look out for our furry little friends! Thank You!

We give our Chihuahua 2mg of CBD everyday.
If theres a thunderstorm or fireworks then we give her 4mg.

We started giving it to her when she was bitten by a copperhead.
She was in severe pain from the bite and her belly got a giant sack of fluid that bulged out. She couldn't stand up without yelping.
I drove to nearest place to get CBD and gave her 4mg, within 20 to 30 minutes she jumped off the couch and walked to the door asking to go out to pee.
We were sold on it after that.

I was approached a a few years ago now, by a family member, concerning their dog and the seizure meds their vet was giving him.
Phenobarbital had worked wonders for the wee taco bell dog, for 5-6 years, until recently, the dog started to seize with the meds, so vet tells my friend, "hey man, we are at the upper limit of the PB, and I can only increase the dose, however it will become toxic to his small body, so either the PB or a seizure gets him, but his days are numbered."

My friend wants to know about CBD's and his dog, and ask the vet about them. Vet tells him that would be a good idea, but prepare yourself if they do not.
So my friend gets some from on line. He tried a few drops, as the dog was seizing under his meds, but saw him show some signs of relief....maybe.
I told him it would be a subtle reaction. So I set about reading anything I can get my hands on, and come to realize, sometimes hermie plants can pump out a lot a of CBD's as they are changing, BUT they also have THC forming.

I used 1 cup polyglycol and vegetable glycerine, with 7 grams of the hermie plant, in a pint mason jar, in a crock pot, with timer, and set it to ON 4 hours, off 2, set a phone alert, so I can go shake the jar wild and crazy like for a few minutes, and restart, for 7 days.
Once I removed the jar, I tried a tablespoon of the mixture, and felt nothing. I contacted my friend, told him and his wife exactly what I did, and they were very happy to try something, but knew it could be nothing but a waste of time.

They started to give him 2 drops, 3 times a day, with his Phenobarbital now he was seizing 5+ times a day or more, so ANY relief was a blessing.
By day 3, no seizures, but tremors still could be seen. I got a call on day 7, telling me they just got back from vet, and vet was blown away with his demeanor!
We started to reduce the Phenobarbital after the second week, and started to give him 4-5 drops 3 times a day, and reduced the Phenobarbital by 1/4 dose.
2nd week, reduced by 1/2 a dose.
3rd week all drops no Phenobarbital!!
Then we just watched and waited until we remade the drops a second time. Exactly as first time, and he did not miss a beat.

We are now starting the 4th year, he had no Phenobarbital only the drops. The funny thing is, CBD ALONE will not stop the tremors or seizures.
When I ran out of the hermie plant I had in my freezer for years, we tried just some buds the guy could get, 4 grams of bud will make 2 cups of extracts.

Now for the SIDE EFFECTS:
There were 2 very distinct changes took place.
1st one, food bowl aggression, he had a terrible food bowl aggression, so bad if the kids went into the kitchen when food was in the bowl, he would snarl and snap, as he stood by the bowl.
Well that went by by in the 3-4th week of the drops!!

2nd, he HATED being around kids. If they came into a room he was sleeping in, he'd snarl and jump down and scurry away very unhappy. By the end of the first month, he was laying with the kids, he would even sleep with them!!
So NO I do not want to ever dose up any creature with weed, unless they have a medical issue. Then tiny amounts, with less THC and more CBD.

Hi all,

I have a question. My love, Molly, an English setter x border collie has cancer of the maladies. Breast cancer. It just struck me, after making an appointment with the vet on the 28th for Molly to go and sleep with the Angel's, that I havent tried to cure her with weed yet.

Can ANYONE direct me to a good, reputable site that will guide me how much to dose for her size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Best,
Magnus

Hello Magnus,
So sorry to read of your dogs plight.
One of the horrible effects from many years of the false demonization of cannabis by all the world's governments has left a giant hole of real knowledge how cannabis can help us, and our four legged friends also.
When I was approached for help, I set out and for days searched, every place for any scrap of knowledge I could find.
I found a dog breeder feeding his dogs whole plant cannabis in their food for a intestinal parasite, that his given breed suffers from and can be fatal, with decent results.
There is so little I could find, and honestly, in our case, time was going to win, and the owner, was reading what I could find, so he took the lead and said to make it, and lets try.
For this wee chuchuhuahua dog, we found 7 grams of cannabis to a cup of polyglycol and vegetable glycerine mix, would keep him from seizures, without the PhenoBarbital.
We also are having fantastic results from a lady with MS with the same extractors PG/VG but with more cannabis.
There is so much relief to offer those suffering that may fall outside the realm of modern petroleum based compounded medicines, however the stigma created by despicable characters from our past, is hard to shake off.
Best to ya!!

I say this is probably just scare tactics of the media. To keep everyone afraid of the medicine. Just use a strain with low THC and High CBD. The CBD keeps you from getting too high. Start the dog on low doses and monitor. A squirt in the dogs favorite wet food heh heh.

Hey Grassmaster, [I say this is probably just scare tactics of the media. To keep everyone afraid of the medicine. ]
About 5 years ago, I met a lady who was seeking cannabis for her Multiple Sclerosis symptoms. When she would wake up, it took her and her husband 45 minutes to get her out of bed. Clawed hands, muscles that are almost knotted, just horrible pain EVERY DAY!! I just can not even imagine.
A friend of hers had known about how it helped the wee taco bell dog, and told her about it.
The MS lady has never been a stoner, or even sampled during her college years. She asked to meet me, and have a talk about cannabis, and if it could help her.
She is an amazing lady with a rock solid husband, she exercises, shadow boxes, stays busy with her work, and had decided the MS will not beat her.....however she was over 10 years since they found her lesions at Johns hopkins, and her medicines seemed to be not quite doing there job, and horrible painful way of waking up EVERY DAMNED DAY, had me sleepless for months as we tried this and that.

Tinctures, butters, extracts, freaking nothing gave her a better day. I gave her cookies strong enough to knock me right out and I'm almost a 50 year toker!! She would eat 3-4 and get NOTHING from it!! I made her extracts potent enough for a cancer patient to feel less pain...did NOTHING for her!!
I was honestly at my wits end, when I asked her why she did not want to simply smoke some weed, to simply give me one month, not talking about going Rasta, or blunt building, but just a few hits as you wake.

The stigma of weed smokers, that was her fear, the other fear, when she asked her MS doctor about MMJ, he bristled up, and and in a very hateful manner told her, if he found weed in her urine, she would be tossed out of the subsidy program!!

Her quality of life was demanding better treatment, so she told me she would try a few hits.
I gave her a tiny glass bowl, with some glass screens, and an old grinder, and a couple of grams, of what I happened to be growing.
What she found was this: her husband (non-stoner) would wake, fill her wee tiny bowl, hold it to her lips, light it, so all she needed to do was inhale, 2-3 puffs!!!

2-3 puffs of some weed, and she can get out of bed in 5-7 minutes over 45+ minutes of searing agony until her muscles would relax, her fingers would unclaw, her shoulders, and back, would eas up greatly.

I'm openly just a stoner, so I grow out whatever we (wife and I) find interesting as head candy, and for edibles.
I had also started seed strain searching, crawling through any of threads on MS, cannabis boards, whatever wherever.

I found NAW or Nerds At Work, over at Sannies, and their strains are mostly geared to the MMJ side of cannabis.
Where I found G-39 that changed my friends life for the better. Other strains are helping her, and she was happy with what I gave her, but once I got the beans, grew them out, cured it for her, we got 4.5 ounces, we packed away in mason jars and into her freezer.
She will make that last her MANY years, as the amount that gives her a great quality of life, is maybe in the 1/4 gram per day range!

So yeah, lots of misinformation still clouding up the MMJ water so to speak,.

When you smoke it. It goes straight to the brain. So that would be more of an instant effective for an MS patient. I've heard of people that supposedly can't get a buzz off of eddibles. But with my tincture only top of the line stoners smoking the strongest stuff don't respond heavily to my tincture.

Ok been doing some reading and research since we have a high anxiety pooch... I hope you find this helpful...take for what its worth :)

Pot for Pets: Is THC Safe for Dogs?
dog-looking-at-a-medication-bottle.jpg
THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, is widely considered the main psychoactive compound of cannabis.

Cannabis plants actually contain around 400 different active compounds.

However, most of the cannabis strains grown to make marijuana have been genetically modified to contain extremely high THC concentrations (sometimes up to 30%).

When we consume cannabis, the THC from the plant activates our body’s Endocannabinoid System by fitting into cannabinoid receptors spread throughout the brain and body.

When it does this, THC produces a strong, psychedelic euphoria that we colloquially call a “high” or “stone.”

Cats and dogs, like humans, can experience this, too.

And while people might enjoy that iconic cannabis “high,” it can cause some pretty scary symptoms in our furry friends.

Does THC Have Health Benefits?
Yes, THC definitely has health benefits.

These include:

• Pain Relief: There’s a really solid body of research showing that THC has powerful analgesic effects. Studies show it can help with both nociceptive and neuropathic pain and is particularly effective for treating chronic pain from conditions like arthritis, fibromyalgia, and more.
  • Antiemetic: THC is very effective at treating nausea and vomiting. This has made it very popular among cancer and AIDS patients suffering from chronic nausea, vomiting, and appetite loss due to their treatments. Synthetic THC isolates like Marinol, for example, have been around since the 1980s.
  • Neuroprotection: Contrary to popular belief, studies show that THC and other cannabinoids can help protect brain cells. In fact, some studies suggest that cannabinoids can stimulate neurogenesis in certain parts of the brain and therefore help treat neurodegenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, and more.
  • Appetite Stimulation: This might come as no surprise, but studies show that THC is very effective at stimulating both appetite and metabolism. Again, this makes it an attractive supplement for people suffering from eating disorders as well as appetite loss from certain medical conditions and treatments.
For a more detailed look at the health benefits of THC, check out this article by Green Flower.

The Effects of THC on Dogs
dog-with-stomach-pain.jpg
You might be inclined to give your dog THC-rich cannabis thanks to its health benefits.

However, I strongly advise that you don’t.

Dogs and cats are extremely sensitive to THC and can suffer from what vets describe as “marijuana poisoning.”
Unfortunately, most cases of marijuana poisoning happen when animal’s get into their owner’s supply of cannabis.

The problem here is that the pet ends up consuming far too much THC, which leaves them dealing with a bunch of nasty symptoms, including:

• Difficulty walking
  • Staggering
  • Twitching
  • Rocking back and forth on the spot
  • Drooling
  • Wide open eyes
  • Tense muscles
This combination of symptoms is sometimes referred to as ataxia.

Trust me, if you’ve ever seen a video of a dog that’s consumed cannabis, you’ll understand just how frightening these effects can be.

Unfortunately, pets also metabolize cannabinoids a lot slower than humans and can feel the effects of THC for anywhere up to 24 hours (or longer), depending on how much they consumed.

Other symptoms of THC intoxication in pets include:

• Lethargy
  • Dilated pupils and glassy eyes
  • Vomiting
  • Low or high heart rate
  • Whining and crying
  • Loss of bladder control (incontinence)
In extreme cases, THC can also cause seizures/tremors or induce a coma.

There isn’t a lot of information available about why dogs are so sensitive to THC, but we know that their size and weight play a big part.

What About Products That Contain Both THC and CBD? Are These Products Safe for Pets?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is the second most concentrated cannabinoid found in cannabis.

It is found in especially high concentrations in hemp, a variety of cannabis that contains low concentrations of THC (usually below 0.3%) and has many industrial uses.

Like THC, CBD has a wide variety of health benefits.

Unlike THC, however, CBD doesn’t produce that iconic psychoactive euphoria we associate with marijuana.

If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve seen cannabis products containing both THC and CBD and are wondering whether these are a good option for treating your pet.

And while these products can be great for humans, I don’t recommend using them with your pets.

Instead, I recommend using CBD hemp products like those I review on my homepage.

Made with highly concentrated hemp extract, these products can offer a wide variety of health benefits and help your pet manage all kinds of conditions and symptoms.

Best of all, CBD has a very safe side effect profile when compared to THC.

In fact, the only side effects you might notice with CBD is lethargy and diarrhea, although these are rare.

Another reason I always suggest using CBD over THC is this:

Hemp-based CBD products are 100% legal in many parts of the world.
Products made from cannabis, on the other hand, are much more heavily regulated.

In the US, for example, products made from cannabis are illegal under federal law, despite the fact that some states have legalized them.

Now, I don’t want to disregard THC for pets altogether.

There is a growing trend of “microdosing” THC among humans which shows us that small, controlled doses of the compound can deliver benefits without producing a “high.”

What does this mean for dogs?

Well, it suggests that, just like humans, dogs might be able to benefit from THC given that they take it in carefully controlled doses.

However, a lot more research is needed to confirm whether dogs and other pets can, in fact, use THC safely.

We picked up our Black Lab when he was a pup, and the second or third day he ate a small bud I stupidly left sitting on the table, 'bout a half grams worth. It was a half hour later when I was searching for the bud, not knowing it had already been ingested by my dog, and realized he got real quiet and dopey. He couldn't walk let alone stand and I was scared crazy. I was sure he was going to OD. I got him on the couch and he laid there and fell asleep. I stayed with him the whole time and thank god nothing bad came from it. It doesn't take much for a small dog to OD on weed. Carefull how you administer it and how you store it. I learned my lesson and still water up when thinking about how close I was to losing my buddy.

I should note, I am talking about ingestion, and each dog may be different. My dog loves the smell of the weed and loves to hang around me when I smoke. He does not like the smell of the bud and I would assume it had to do with his one time experience. Lab's are smart and tend to do wrong things only once.

I would have thought that eating a bud wouldn't do much, unless the bud was decarbed. Is it possible that the doggys are reacting poorly to the THC-A or maybe one of the other 400 compounds found in cannabis? Very interesting.

Only time I"ve ever dosed a dog was my Great Dane. He was 13, couldn't hold his shit in, and could no longer walk. It was time to take him to be sent on to the next life. While we were at home waiting for my wife to come get us, I couldn't bare to see him in pain, so I got him high. He just went to sleep, and slept the entire car ride to the vet. That was last year.

I would have thought that eating a bud wouldn't do much, unless the bud was decarbed. Is it possible that the doggys are reacting poorly to the THC-A or maybe one of the other 400 compounds found in cannabis? Very interesting.

Only time I"ve ever dosed a dog was my Great Dane. He was 13, couldn't hold his shit in, and could no longer walk. It was time to take him to be sent on to the next life. While we were at home waiting for my wife to come get us, I couldn't bear to see him in pain, so I got him high. He just went to sleep, and slept the entire car ride to the vet. That was last year.
I'm sorry for the loss of your GD! Huge and adorable they are. All I know is I make sure that with any dog, friend's or mine, the stuff is up and out of the way now.

I'm sorry for the loss of your GD! Huge and adorable they are. All I know is I make sure that with any dog, friend's or mine, the stuff is up and out of the way now.

Totally agree. We keep it under lock and key. Kids and dogs. Mine and others!

The GD was a brindle, and he was 185lbs. So we were happy that he lived as long as he did being that big. They usually make it till 10 or there about 13 was a good life. We had another GD at the same time, still do. We wound up getting another one to keep him company, so two blue danes for now. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get a smaller dog now... The bigs ones seem to have a grip on me. Big old dummies they are.

My dog just recently got into some weed o had used to make canna Butter. It was just a lump in the garbage but she must have smelled the butter and ate it.

At the vet, once we realized what had happened I was warned that if she went into seizures during the night then she would likely die.

Maybe you didnt find cases online. That doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

~Magnus
I can't find one example of a fatal overdose to a dog on the net.

Back
Top Bottom