Caveat Emptor, Buyer Beware, Hydro Grow LED!

jeb55

To all potential LED light buyers, I am offering this information to keep you from the nightmare that I have entered!

I came to 420 Mag in May to learn information about growing and LED lights. This is truly a wonderful site with all of the growing information that anyone would need. Thank you all for all of your knowledge! I am on my first grow and all of you Grow Masters would be proud of how I have used your information, I am very, very pleased with what you have taught me!!

However, LED information seems to be a little harder to glean, more so in May, than currently. As such, I had to digest what I could and take my best shot. I had searched the web before I came to 420 Mag and found a lot of lights to choose from, but only considered one; ProSource UFO’s. I got a quote from ProSource and then presented them with two ProSource discount coupons that I found on web sites where ProSource was advertising. They refused to honor the coupons, so I refused to buy the lights. By this time I had found 420 Mag and began to digest the information from the LED sponsors.

It came down to two lights, Mike at GrowLEDHydro, and Cammie at Hydro Grow LED. My best choice was Mike at GrowLEDHydro so I contacted him and we put together a package that would work for my needs; unfortunately, he then explained that the lights were out of stock and it would be about three weeks before they would arrive. Here’s a lesson; don’t be impatient!! When you have digested all of the information and have come up with the best choice, be patient, you made the best choice for a reason! I, on the other hand, was impatient and a fool and settled for second best! The three weeks wait for Mike would have meant nothing compared to the horrors that I have experienced with Cammie at Hydro Grow LED.

I am growing in two 4x4 tents, one for veg and one for bloom. Because I didn’t know much about growing, Cammie tried to oversell me on lights and wanted me to buy eight lights for about $6,000.00. I passed on her suggestion for eight lights, but then took her suggestion that two 126w lights would do for the veg tent. I purchased two 345w lights for the bloom tent and two 126w lights for the veg tent.

The 126w lights were not the answer which was apparent quickly. I contacted Cammie and asked if I could upgrade to two 205w lights. She agreed, but she said that the 126w returns were now used and she would have to deduct $100.00 per light from my credit towards the two 205w lights. Bottom line is, I purchased two 345w’s and two 205’s for $3550,00.
When I asked for an address to ship the 126w lights to, she said that she was moving and would not be able to give me an address for a few days and to not ship the lights. It took two weeks for her to send an address, (and my crop was suffering) I asked on June 15, she sent it June 29. I shipped the lights to her the next day, June 30 and she got them July 6. The new lights (205w) arrived on July 19 (and my crop is still suffering). One of the new lights was defective! I e-mailed Cammie and she e-mailed me back on the 26th. 14 days later, my replacement light was shipped from China (and my crop is still suffering). The light arrived August 12 (and my poor crop is still suffering).

By this time I had already told Cammie that her customer service was the worst that I had experienced in my life and that I was very sorry that we had done business together and that I would have returned the lights to her were it not for her 25% restocking fee! She said that she was sorry that I felt that way and that maybe only 1 in 300 of her customers had any complaints. Some of the excuses that she gave for so much delay time were: I had to move and could not take care of business, my family came to visit and I had to go to Disneyland for a few days and could not take care of business, someone at the factory in China died and I could not take care of business! I think that you get the picture!

I lost a few plants in this process and had some very sick ones that it has taken a long time to nurse back to health. Not wanting to be in this position again (and since Builder let the cat out of the bag about LED power sources), I e-mailed Cammie and told her that I wanted to purchase additional power sources for my lights at my cost and nothing to do with any warranty issue. She e-mailed me back and made no mention of power sources, but, said that she had not received the defective light that I had sent back to her through UPS and was going to file a complaint. She e-mailed me again and said that UPS had lost the light in shipment and that they would only reimburse her for $100.00 because I had failed to insure her package. She said that I was a thief and had stolen a light from her. She demanded that I pay her $600.00 within 48 hours or she would call the local Sheriff and file a complaint for theft and I would be arrested for growing marijuana.

I e-mailed her back and told her that I was sorry that her light had been lost by UPS and that I had followed her return instructions in accordance with her web site policies and that her issues were with UPS and not me. I also explained that I did discuss insuring the package with the UPS clerk, but the light was defective and there was no way to place a value on it. She e-mailed me back and restated that I was a thief and that the Sheriff would indeed be visiting me and I would be going to jail for growing marijuana and that I should have thought about watching my back before I screwed her out of a light! She also told me to never contact her company again for any reason.

I went to the UPS office where I had shipped the package from, when I explained to the clerk why I was there, her mouth fell wide open for a moment and she said “Oh my god, you’re the poor man that’s having to deal with that crazy woman”. The clerk told me that the Sheriff’s Department had indeed contacted them about the complaint. The clerk told the Sheriff that there were no improprieties, only business as usual, that they had lost a package and the complaint was just sour grapes from an unhappy customer. The Sheriff never did contact me because I have an MMJ card and am completely legal (so I assume).

Since then, one of my 345w lights has lost a power source and two of my light engines are not working. I e-mailed Cammie yesterday to make a warranty claim (her web site says the lights have a three year warranty). She e-mailed me back today and told me that I am a thief and when I pay her $600.00, then we can talk about power sources.

So there you have it, right from the horse’s mouth.

When making a purchase, you are buying more than just the product, you are buying a warranty, you are buying customer service, and you are buying the security of knowing that the person that you are buying from is honest and will be there in the future to service their product and your needs! None of that is offered at Hydro Grow LED, or through Cammie McKenzie. SO AGAIN, BUYER BEWARE!!!

Because Cammie has defrauded me, I am seeking full recourse through PayPal and my credit card company. I hope to make her reimburse my account and return her poorly made junk to her. I’ll keep you informed.

In the mean time, if any LED vendors or enthusiasts know where I can purchase a power source for these lights, I would greatly appreciate having that info.

Be well, be safe!
JB

I see that the name of the company was automatically removed from my post. I assume that would be for legal purposes or perhaps the name of the company was so bad it’s to prevent any possible advertizing. Either way, that’s okay. I think that most know the name of the company, if not you can figure it out by the light wattages.

I e-mailed the Web Master of this site to complain; he apologized that I had trouble with Cammie and explained that she had been banned from this site and her banner taken down, apparently, about the time that I was buying lights from her. I never saw any posts at that time that would have made me aware that she was trouble. Maybe there were some and I just missed them. It would have been nice if I had been forewarned about her. That’s why I’m making these posts now. A few days ago I read a thread here where someone was about to buy lights from Cammie, that would be a big mistake! If you are going to buy LED lights, you should keep this thread in mind when making your decision who to buy from!

Greenest wishes,
JB

That's a horrific story my friend, I would be beyond livid knowing I had been worked over like that. With such a poor product and customer service I can't see a business like that staying afloat very long.

Live and learn I guess...and thanks for the warning!

this would be one of the more F'ed up stories ive read about this person and her business practices. hope someone knows about an alternative power supply for you. good luck with your unfortunate situation.

Hi Poker Shark, I’m not sure how long that she has been in business selling these lights, but as far as I am concerned it has been way too long! I know that everyone worries about legal ramifications, but a person like this should not get a free pass. When these kinds of situations arise, we all should be very vocal to spread the news that there is an unscrupulous thief among us so that our brothers and sisters don’t get burned also! I suspect that in the past she has probably used these same tactics (I’ll call the police on you for growing pot) and intimidated others into not pursuing a valid claim against her. That won’t happen with me, threats like that tend to motivate me and drive me to action.

Hi Stickythumbs, it sounds like you have heard of her through the misfortune of others who have posted stories about her. I did a lot of research surfing these kinds of sites before I purchased lights, but I saw no horror stories about her and her company. I did see a few posts where she was a bit snotty and argued with a few growers over competition grow results. Had I seen some of those posts, I would not have purchased from her.

I did get an e-mail from someone that has offered to help me out with the power sources. With any luck, they will have what I need and I can at least finish my grow.

Thanks,
JB

An update for anyone who might be interested. I was visited by the local Sheriff’s Department at 10:00 this am. They came to my house because Cammie at HydroGrow LED called them and told them that I was running an illegal marijuana growing operation and had stolen an LED light from her! The officer was nice and never questioned me about my growing because I am a legal grower. He did ask questions about the light and asked me to give him a copy of all of the e-mails between Cammie and myself and had me write a statement of the facts.

I tell you folks, this is a truly dangerous person! She makes her living on web sites dedicated to the legalization of marijuana, and yet, when she gets angry, she will use anti-marijuana laws to intimidate and to attempt to extort her customers! She is very two faced and more than willing to bite the hand that feeds her!!

Do we really want people like her operating among us? If you buy lights from her and your grow is not 100% legal, you risk going to jail!! BUYER BEWARE!! I can’t stress that enough! If you know anyone that is considering buying LED lights, you should let them know about this thread. If you are anywhere on the internet and someone mentions buying LED lights, you should link them to this thread. If you are having lunch at work and someone mentions buying LED lights, you should steer them to this thread.

I am sure that this situation is not unique to me. I am sure that others have had many problems with her. I have been told so privately in e-mails and she was in fact, banned from this site. I do intend to pursue her through all possible legal means and make her refund my light purchase and take her junk back.

The best way to win a war is to know your enemy. If anyone has had problems with this person, I would sure like to know about it and hear your story.

Stay tuned!

did you file a report with the cops on camie when they visited? let LEO work for US, its what we pay them to do.

Gosh, I wonder if this is the same person I read about on another site that went by the handle LEDgirl or something like that. She had a banner on that site and had administrative control over the post of others. It tore the site up and the complaints were daily. Someone would complain about her and their post removed and sometimes they were banned. The guy that owns the other site really did sell out if you ask me.

Hi SnowBender,
I didn't actually file a complaint at this time, but I did include all of the information that I could including the laws that I think that she is guilty of breaking. I am waiting for the county attorney to non-process her complaint and then I will file a formal complaint against her independently on it's own merit. I have seen situations where counter filing against a bad complaint can cause both filings to be non-processed.

Hi G-Dog,
You may be right, at one time she may have used the name LEDgirl, but I'm not 100% sure. Others may know for sure though, maybe they will help us out!

Beware and Be Safe!

Another quick update. I attempted to file a claim against Cammie today with the BBB; what an experience. I spent almost 2 hours on-line and on the telephone with the states of Ca and Wa today, and in the end I was not able to file a complaint because the on-line system failed. A rep is sending me a complaint form through snail mail and I will have to file it the old fashioned way.

I did find out a bit of information though. At this time, Cammie can not be found in the Ca BBB system, she is however in the Wa BBB system, but I have not been able to view the complaints that she has against her yet. Wa is where the complaint forms will come from. Using the contact information on her web site doesn’t do much for you. She has no street address, her business location is in Palmdale Ca, and her telephone number is in Napa Ca. She is operating under at least two names; Hydro Grow LED and Hydro-grow LLC. People who operate this way do tend to be hard to track!

More to come!

Gosh, I wonder if this is the same person I read about on another site that went by the handle LEDgirl or something like that. She had a banner on that site and had administrative control over the post of others. It tore the site up and the complaints were daily. Someone would complain about her and their post removed and sometimes they were banned. The guy that owns the other site really did sell out if you ask me.

Yup one and the same. As one on the cusp of making a major LED purchase , I thank you for sharing your horrific experience.

hey troubled ones, this is a good reason for 420 mag, to root out losers and praise winners. especially for the little people like myself, who don't have all the knowledge or cash to cover thieves and /or lairs. even if they are neither, not everyone has the best product. i bought my led after research only to find out i didn't research enough, but luckily my supplier may not have the best product, they seem even now honest, a truly admirable quality especially on a faceless internet. my hats off for jeb55 any others who are fearless and revealing. power to communication. all the best, sky high

To all potential LED light buyers, I am offering this information to keep you from the nightmare that I have entered!

I came to 420 Mag in May to learn information about growing and LED lights. This is truly a wonderful site with all of the growing information that anyone would need. Thank you all for all of your knowledge! I am on my first grow and all of you Grow Masters would be proud of how I have used your information, I am very, very pleased with what you have taught me!!

However, LED information seems to be a little harder to glean, more so in May, than currently. As such, I had to digest what I could and take my best shot. I had searched the web before I came to 420 Mag and found a lot of lights to choose from, but only considered one; ProSource UFO's. I got a quote from ProSource and then presented them with two ProSource discount coupons that I found on web sites where ProSource was advertising. They refused to honor the coupons, so I refused to buy the lights. By this time I had found 420 Mag and began to digest the information from the LED sponsors.

It came down to two lights, Mike at GrowLEDHydro, and Cammie at ------------. My best choice was Mike at GrowLEDHydro so I contacted him and we put together a package that would work for my needs; unfortunately, he then explained that the lights were out of stock and it would be about three weeks before they would arrive. Here's a lesson; don't be impatient!! When you have digested all of the information and have come up with the best choice, be patient, you made the best choice for a reason! I, on the other hand, was impatient and a fool and settled for second best! The three weeks wait for Mike would have meant nothing compared to the horrors that I have experienced with Cammie at ------------.

I am growing in two 4x4 tents, one for veg and one for bloom. Because I didn't know much about growing, Cammie tried to oversell me on lights and wanted me to buy eight lights for about $6,000.00. I passed on her suggestion for eight lights, but then took her suggestion that two 126w lights would do for the veg tent. I purchased two 345w lights for the bloom tent and two 126w lights for the veg tent.

The 126w lights were not the answer which was apparent quickly. I contacted Cammie and asked if I could upgrade to two 205w lights. She agreed, but she said that the 126w returns were now used and she would have to deduct $100.00 per light from my credit towards the two 205w lights. Bottom line is, I purchased two 345w's and two 205's for $3550,00.
When I asked for an address to ship the 126w lights to, she said that she was moving and would not be able to give me an address for a few days and to not ship the lights. It took two weeks for her to send an address, (and my crop was suffering) I asked on June 15, she sent it June 29. I shipped the lights to her the next day, June 30 and she got them July 6. The new lights (205w) arrived on July 19 (and my crop is still suffering). One of the new lights was defective! I e-mailed Cammie and she e-mailed me back on the 26th. 14 days later, my replacement light was shipped from China (and my crop is still suffering). The light arrived August 12 (and my poor crop is still suffering).

By this time I had already told Cammie that her customer service was the worst that I had experienced in my life and that I was very sorry that we had done business together and that I would have returned the lights to her were it not for her 25% restocking fee! She said that she was sorry that I felt that way and that maybe only 1 in 300 of her customers had any complaints. Some of the excuses that she gave for so much delay time were: I had to move and could not take care of business, my family came to visit and I had to go to Disneyland for a few days and could not take care of business, someone at the factory in China died and I could not take care of business! I think that you get the picture!

I lost a few plants in this process and had some very sick ones that it has taken a long time to nurse back to health. Not wanting to be in this position again (and since Builder let the cat out of the bag about LED power sources), I e-mailed Cammie and told her that I wanted to purchase additional power sources for my lights at my cost and nothing to do with any warranty issue. She e-mailed me back and made no mention of power sources, but, said that she had not received the defective light that I had sent back to her through UPS and was going to file a complaint. She e-mailed me again and said that UPS had lost the light in shipment and that they would only reimburse her for $100.00 because I had failed to insure her package. She said that I was a thief and had stolen a light from her. She demanded that I pay her $600.00 within 48 hours or she would call the local Sheriff and file a complaint for theft and I would be arrested for growing marijuana.

I e-mailed her back and told her that I was sorry that her light had been lost by UPS and that I had followed her return instructions in accordance with her web site policies and that her issues were with UPS and not me. I also explained that I did discuss insuring the package with the UPS clerk, but the light was defective and there was no way to place a value on it. She e-mailed me back and restated that I was a thief and that the Sheriff would indeed be visiting me and I would be going to jail for growing marijuana and that I should have thought about watching my back before I screwed her out of a light! She also told me to never contact her company again for any reason.

I went to the UPS office where I had shipped the package from, when I explained to the clerk why I was there, her mouth fell wide open for a moment and she said "Oh my god, you're the poor man that's having to deal with that crazy woman". The clerk told me that the Sheriff's Department had indeed contacted them about the complaint. The clerk told the Sheriff that there were no improprieties, only business as usual, that they had lost a package and the complaint was just sour grapes from an unhappy customer. The Sheriff never did contact me because I have an MMJ card and am completely legal (so I assume).

Since then, one of my 345w lights has lost a power source and two of my light engines are not working. I e-mailed Cammie yesterday to make a warranty claim (her web site says the lights have a three year warranty). She e-mailed me back today and told me that I am a thief and when I pay her $600.00, then we can talk about power sources.

So there you have it, right from the horse's mouth.

When making a purchase, you are buying more than just the product, you are buying a warranty, you are buying customer service, and you are buying the security of knowing that the person that you are buying from is honest and will be there in the future to service their product and your needs! None of that is offered at ------------, or through Cammie McKinse. SO AGAIN, BUYER BEWARE!!!

Because Cammie has defrauded me, I am seeking full recourse through PayPal and my credit card company. I hope to make her reimburse my account and return her poorly made junk to her. I'll keep you informed.

In the mean time, if any LED vendors or enthusiasts know where I can purchase a power source for these lights, I would greatly appreciate having that info.

Be well, be safe!
JB

Thanks for the heads up.Sorry to hear about the bad units.How long have you had the units?By law you have 90 days to return any purchased Item if defective for a full refund.We are protected by consumor rights.And if she is going crazy well then that is called hurasment and not only illigal but unprofesional as well.May I ask if you still have your reciept for the ups shipment?UPS has tracking with every shipment.I feel you and it sucks to get riped off I know you spent a lot of money.My self I spent a long time doing research and every one said leds wer crap.This is why I originaly subsribed to the forum.I took a chance and only went with a company that had at least 90 day garontee.The only 2 I found were hydroponics hut and mikes.I went with HH with 2 90 watts but quickly returned them for the 250 watt.I only had to pay shipping to return and the difference in cost.I didnt even pay the full amount as I got a good deal on ebay for the 90 watt.HH lights were more affordable was the only reason they work pretty good so far.But any way I would realy get all the facts and proof pictures reciepts tracking all of that on paper and then recontact the person you purchased the lights from and record everything then turn it in to comsumor reports and ebay.Beeing riped off with this much money involved I would even get leagal assistance AT HER EXPENSE IF YOU HAVE ALL THE EVIDENCE.If you do she problubly will give you complete refund before it goes that far.Sounds like she is getting a lot of returns and is in the hole.:peacetwo:

She is operating under at least two names; Hydro Grow LED and Hydro-grow LLC. People who operate this way do tend to be hard to track!

The LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation/Company.
They are set up to help keep the main company free of legal disputes.
Film productions always have an LLC that their working through.
That way if a stuntman gets hurt on set, he can't go suing Steven Spielberg for everything he owns.
The LLC would pay out a smaller amount to protect Spielberg's business practices.

So in other words, you're dead on about how hard it's going to be to track her down and deal with her.

That's awful man, I feel for you. I'm looking to purchase a new led and I was wondering if any of you guys had heard anything about Gotham hydro LEDs, I've seen couple grows that seemed to do well, but they are much cheaper than others of similar power. I just have always thought things too good to be true are, and even though I've seen a grow or two, I'd like some more reinforcement before I spend $250 on another led. Thanks

What is at stake here is not as much a product defect and poor customer service, she outed the OP to the police as a grower because he complained about the product. That is way below the belt and any weed site that would allow her banner is not one of us.

That's awful man, I feel for you. I'm looking to purchase a new led and I was wondering if any of you guys had heard anything about Gotham hydro LEDs, I've seen couple grows that seemed to do well, but they are much cheaper than others of similar power. I just have always thought things too good to be true are, and even though I've seen a grow or two, I'd like some more reinforcement before I spend $250 on another led. Thanks

You should talk to Mike at Welcome to Grow LED Hydro - LED Grow Lights - Hydroponics - Plant Lighting. Look in Irish Boys thread he listed a used 300w unit on Ebay also

Back
Top Bottom