CBD Joy: A Community Garden Experience

PO-CBD.jpg

bud_contest1.jpg

Cannabidiol, or CBD as it's most commonly referred to, is the less-euphoric major cannabinoid found in cannabis. It's referred to as a "promiscuous " cannabinoid, a fancy way of saying it's a multi-tasker to the extreme, taking on multiple healing "assignments" simultaneously and impacting the system deeply at a cellular level. One of its greatest benefits is the way it reduces inflammation, and with it, pain.

The reduced euphoria of CBD, almost undectable to many, is more of the sense of wellbeing than the "high" produced by THC. This trait makes CBD easier to tolerate than THC, and that's made it a sought-after component to treat a number of conditions including chronic pain, cancer, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, PTSD, cardiovascular disease, anxiety, infections that resist antibiotics, MS, mental illness.....the list goes on and on.

According to Martin Lee at Project CBD "Extensive preclinical research and some clinical studies have shown that CBD has strong anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, anti-depressant, anti-psychotic, anti-tumoral, and neuroprotective qualities. Cannabidiol can change gene expression and remove beta amyloid plaque, the hallmark of Alzheimer's, from brain cells."

I've long been a proponent that every medicinal garden benefits from having at least one balanced ratio or CBD-dominant plant in constant rotation. The medicinal benefits seen from the use of these plants is often stunning. I felt it was time to begin a community thread where we could share the joy of growing our favorite CBD strains. The available choices in both photo and auto plants is growing at a powerful rate, and some of what we're turning out is breathtakingly beautiful, as evidenced by Norcaliwood's winning entry into the most recent NOTM contest of the Purple-Orange CBD by Dinafem.

I'd appreciate it if you could share with us the reasons you chose the strains you grow, and any information you can offer as to how you use it as medication and how effective you've found it at offering the relief you were seeking. In this way we can increase the value of what we're doing here. Mostly we're enjoying the pleasures of growing these beautiful plants that promise improved health and reduced pain, but almost every one of us marvels that we work so hard to grow a plant that doesn't get most of us high. :laughtwo:

Now we have an opportunity to share what makes them worth the real estate under the lights.

My community grow rules are simple, show them off anytime you feel inclined to. Ask anything. Engage each other in discussion on improving yield and potency. Let's find ways to grow the best CBD we can, and have a great time helping each other grow and use this valuable medicine more effectively.

But mostly, let's have fun with it. Take a lot of pretty pictures. :battingeyelashes: :love:

The door is open. Come in and share.

I suppose I can start with my own CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm. I was led to this strain by CajunCelt who recommended it for my daughter. Among her issues was a sensitivity to THC and sativas. This is an indica-dominant with a 1:2 THC:CBD ratio expected to yield 10% CBD and 5% THC. I grow mine in soil using Doc Bud's HighBrix Blend kit. I always have three going at once, one in flower, one vegging and a clone cutting coming up behind. They start in one gallon pots and get transplanted into seven-gallon finish pots. My current line-up, all growing under Timber Grow Lights COB DIY kits:

CBD Critical Cure 2.1.1 (Day 30) Just getting started. She got her first Brix foliar today with the rest of the crew.

IMG_63038.JPG

IMG_630410.JPG

CBD CC 2.2 (Day 51, Flip + 10) I mistakenly flipped her a month ahead of schedule after neglecting to reset the timer when I moved her into the tent. :straightface: Last night I discovered my mistake, so she'll finish up in about two months. I'll take a clone on Friday at day 14 of flower and force it back to veg. That keeps the flow going.

IMG_62819.JPG

CBD CC 2.1 (Day 73, Flip + 30) Another month or so to go. Next time I'll get some close-ups of the trichomes. :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMG_62427.JPG

IMG_624311.JPG

I turn these plants into infused oils at a ratio of 100 grams dry bud to 500 ml of olive oil, and I fill capsules for my daughter and myself, keeping a small amount aside for her to use with the vaporizer. The daughter's major concern was an anxiety disorder that essentially kept her locked inside her apartment. A steady regimine of four capsules a day with vaping for breakthrough pain or anxiety has helped her manage the anxiety for the first time in her almost 35 years. It's also managed chronic pain from an accident that she's dealt with for decades. Anxiety, depression, pain, and PTSD are all managed with this one plant. The daughter experiences only wellbeing as a euphoric effect.

I'm pretty healthy myself, but at 63 there are definite inflammation issues that arise and I'm being preventative, as well as looking for a formulation that will heal the scalp psoriasis I've lived with for two decades. I've used the CBD CC for breakthrough pain myself, with tremendous success. I take three capsules a day. I get no euphoric effect from the plant that I notice, but then my system usually has a fair amount of THC present.

I recently tried DrZiggy's Low and Slow drying technique - two weeks minimum in jars with screened lids in a frost-free refrigerator at 35% RH and 39 degrees Fahrenheit. I found this technique appears to retain most of the flavonoids and a higher percentage of the terpenes than standard drying techniques. Hanging to dry you lose more than 30% of the volitile monoterpenes in the first week. I have no lab tests to prove my theory, but I can say the buds I dried like this were the most potent and satisfying of one of my favorite regular strains, notably improved in ways that surprised me. I'm anticipating this method will potentiate the efficacy of the oils I make with the material dried low and slow. Canyon has a project underway, drying a harvest in this way and planning to have it tested with the terpene profile. Eventually we'll figure this one out.

Well, that's my installment for the week. Let's see yours. :cheesygrinsmiley: :green_heart:

Yay!! You made it earlier than expected, great job starting it off Sue! I will be back tomorrow to share some as well :) Have some things to get done around here before bed. Soo excited you made this thread, truly a great idea. Reps for you wonderful lady!

Front row and center for this one

Yaaaay!!! First one through the door JPinkman. :hug: :welcome: Make yourself cozy.

Yay!! You made it earlier than expected, great job starting it off Sue! I will be back tomorrow to share some as well :) Have some things to get done around here before bed. Soo excited you made this thread, truly a great idea. Reps for you wonderful lady!

Thank you Dick. :hug: I'm excited about this one myself. :laughtwo: I look forward to your share.

I found another soon to be long thread to read. I think I'll sit in and catch all the excitement as it develops. Can I have a spot on the floor over by the window?

Certainly, dear friend. You're more than welcome. The window has a nice view, doesn't it? :hug: :love:

I'll tag along after Sue with my own CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm. I was led to this strain by CajunCelt who recommended it to SweetSue for her daughter, who recommended it to me for my wife. ;)

This is an indica-dominant with a 1:2 THC:CBD ratio expected to yield 10% CBD and 5% THC. I grow mine in soil using Doc Bud's HighBrix Blend kit.
(same here)

I recently harvested the first plants in a perpetual grow with 10 strains started (up to 6 plants in flower.) I take my clones when a strain graduatues from the veg area into the flower area. After coming out of the clone bucket, they veg in one gallon pots and get transplanted into seven-gallon or ten-gallon fabric pots before graduating into the flower area. I always have one clone of the strain in the veg area. Frequently, the mother of the clone is also in the flower area.

This is my first time growing CBD Critical Cure, or any high CBD strain, and I look forward to turning some of it into a skin creme that I can use for footrubs on my wife's Planters fasciitis.

CBD Critical Cure in veg - transplanted to seven-gallon pot yesterday

20170430_114629-1.jpg

20170430_114635-1.jpg

I'm in! Sticking by the window, to watch and learn... I'm the noob in the tent!

My Mars-Hydro lights, should be here around May 5th. This past Saturday, hubby and I picked up the 6 bucket Hydro kit, and Hydroton clay pellets.

Still need lots of things, making a list...

I'm also stuck using the Lowell, MA dispensary until I get a grow finished. :::sigh::: Prices will keep me from baking, or making CCO, at $25 per 1.75 gm, for the MediHaze (Sativa/day)... Critical Mass $28, (Indica/nite).

I've looked thru Gorilla seeds to find either one, but no one seems to have MediHaze, and the Critical Mass, at 2:1 (CBD:THC). Gorilla only has 1:1. Seems some of the other seed banks also have Critical Mass, and they are also, different percentages (total %, and still 1:1). So I'm looking for at least 2:1 (CBD:THC) as well as Total % at least 18%. Some 1:1's I see test out at 12-14%. It's hard to find the higher ratios with high TAC. I still have time before I buy a few seeds, will be setting up!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, following journeys, gathering insight from experience! As soon as I have pix to share, stories to tell, a recipe to forward, I will!

Back to my grotto, just watching, and...
"It's pretty, look at the shiny!"
Dory

Great timing. I just put a CBD Crew CBD Critical Mass in a paper towel to germinate.:circle-of-love::peace:

Oh, I love the fragrance of the Critical Mass. I'm thinking I need to do a couple runs of it after my smallest Critical Cure clone is potted into the final pot. You're tempting me Dave.

I look forward to watching yours grow big and bad. Mine got huge. I had a bigger tent up then. :laughtwo: This gardening in smaller tents took some adjustment, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it. I know we grow medicine, and that part of it we take seriously, but the joy of growing them....... well, we need places like this to share the collective joy and fine-tune our methods.

I'm in! Sticking by the window, to watch and learn... I'm the noob in the tent!

My Mars-Hydro lights, should be here around May 5th. This past Saturday, hubby and I picked up the 6 bucket Hydro kit, and Hydroton clay pellets.

Still need lots of things, making a list...

I'm also stuck using the Lowell, MA dispensary until I get a grow finished. :::sigh::: Prices will keep me from baking, or making CCO, at $25 per 1.75 gm, for the MediHaze (Sativa/day)... Critical Mass $28, (Indica/nite).

I've looked thru Gorilla seeds to find either one, but no one seems to have MediHaze, and the Critical Mass, at 2:1 (CBD:THC). Gorilla only has 1:1. Seems some of the other seed banks also have Critical Mass, and they are also, different percentages (total %, and still 1:1). So I'm looking for at least 2:1 (CBD:THC) as well as Total % at least 18%. Some 1:1's I see test out at 12-14%. It's hard to find the higher ratios with high TAC. I still have time before I buy a few seeds, will be setting up!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, following journeys, gathering insight from experience! As soon as I have pix to share, stories to tell, a recipe to forward, I will!

Back to my grotto, just watching, and...
"It's pretty, look at the shiny!"
Dory

Dory, CBD Critical Mass is a 1:1, CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm is closer to a 2:1 CBD:THC. Gorilla Seeds carries the Critical Cure, and they're a sponsor.

I'll tag along after Sue with my own CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm. I was led to this strain by CajunCelt who recommended it to SweetSue for her daughter, who recommended it to me for my wife. ;)

(same here)

I recently harvested the first plants in a perpetual grow with 10 strains started (up to 6 plants in flower.) I take my clones when a strain graduatues from the veg area into the flower area. After coming out of the clone bucket, they veg in one gallon pots and get transplanted into seven-gallon or ten-gallon fabric pots before graduating into the flower area. I always have one clone of the strain in the veg area. Frequently, the mother of the clone is also in the flower area.

This is my first time growing CBD Critical Cure, or any high CBD strain, and I look forward to turning some of it into a skin creme that I can use for footrubs on my wife's Planters fasciitis.

CBD Critical Cure in veg - transplanted to seven-gallon pot yesterday

20170430_114629-1.jpg

20170430_114635-1.jpg

Look at her taking off!! :yahoo: I'm growing so fond of this strain. When you get to making the pain cream, you might want to add more THC to the formulation. It's the THC in the topicals that hits the immediate pain. The CBD works more over time. It's the combination of the major components that potentiates the THC and extends the window of relief.

I'd like a seat another noob sponge ready to absorb all I'm able. No CBD stains growing at the moment, but that's soon to change.

My CBD experience is pretty limited. Ive tried small amounts of all CBD strains, as well as small amounts of 1:1. For my day to day chronic pain, I get a little relief from pure CBD but see better results as you mix in a little THC. That being said, in the limited amounts Ive been able to afford, were talking a "take the edge off" type of relief. Not even close to pain free. Now that I'm growing, the plan is to saturate myself with the CBDs and go from there.

For my first grow, I was given some Freedom Dream (8-12% CBD, 0% THC) from Dana Larson as part of Overgrow Canada. These have been good "learner seeds". They were free bred in an open field, not selectively bred in a controlled environment. As such there have been several different phenotypes (hope this is the right use of the word) as well as some mutations. I started with 10 seeds, 9 germinated, and I kept the heathiest 3. 1 of these is sarting to show mutations. Im hoping to get 1 good female as a mother. They're in ProMix HP with EWC and Bat Guano. Im using BioCanna organic fertiliser.

420-magazine-mobile498165131.jpg

The center 3 are the Freedom Dream.

420-magazine-mobile915041701.jpg

Mutation.

420-magazine-mobile1702571585.jpg

Heathiest of the 3, taken today

Feel free to check out my journal for more details, and thank you to everyone posting here. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Thank you J. What a wonderful score for you. Pure CBD in a plant. OMG, I'd love to get some of that. The advantage that would bring to someone mixing oils for cancer treatment, not to mention everything else. Lucky you, and may that healthy one turn out to be a female without mutations. They are beautiful. I'm pulling for the viable mother.

Back
Top Bottom