CBD/THC Seeds & Phenotypes

NewToTHC

All:

Wondering when sourcing seed strains that are high in CBD and low in THC the odds of a producing plant with a high CBD level is perhaps hit and miss. As I understand it a seed will take the characteristics of the previous generations parents. So if one had a sample of say 10 seeds then a certain percentage will produce a plant high in CBD, another percentage high in THC and the rest somewhere in the middle. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the phenotype component in breeding, but doesn't it kind of make growing a particular strain from seed a crap shoot unless perhaps the previous generations in the breeding were consistent through many generations?. I suppose my concern also would apply to THC as well, and really only a clone from a tested plant guarantees a stated THC/CBD ratio?.

I suppose my concern also would apply to THC as well, and really only a clone from a tested plant guarantees a stated THC/CBD ratio?.

Other variables can affect that though even with a clone, grow conditions/when you harvest/etc... to a point along with what part of the plant it came from can also make those numbers somewhat different. But yeah if the Strain is stable it more of a once in a blue moon you get a kickback to something else, if not a stable strain then more of a crapshoot.

That is encouraging. So in reality putting aside growing conditions and the occasional seed oddity seeds sourced from a reputable breeder should deliver.

Stable is the key word. The fact that breeders do not stabilize their THC strains any more. I don't see them stabilizing other stuff.

The key is them making a good F-1 hybrid. For that they need a great CBD strain to start with. Then how stable the strain they intend to breed with needs to be considered. Not all breeders are going to have those genetics to work with. That is not going to keep them from making seeds anyway.

I think more than any other type of weed. CBD strains should really be bought only from reputable breeders. That fact that it is meant to be medicine justifies any price you need to pay to buy the right stuff.

I think more than any other type of weed. CBD strains should really be bought only from reputable breeders. That fact that it is meant to be medicine justifies any price you need to pay to buy the right stuff.

With my limited time in the hobby and growing I am really starting to appreciate that the number one rule for a successful grow is quality genetics. Bought a 3 pack of Granddaddy purple seeds last year from a puppy...sorry seed mill. Not one of the plants had anything in common with each other.

From what I have heard Granddaddy Purple is like that. Thing is with the real stuff each plant is special in its own way. Lots of Erckle genetics in G.P. they don't always grow very fast.

There are lots of unstable F-1 hybrids out there. In lots of case's this doesn't matter. If you are looking for a certain thing like CBD. Stable becomes much more of a issue.

I really don't know how hard it is to breed a CBD strain. For years plants that were low in THC were a failed project. Pretty sure even I can breed low THC pot LMAO. I have bred enough to know that plants seldom do what I expect them too. Finding the right CBD/THC mix and having a strain do it consistently sounds a lot more difficult. I could be wrong as there are almost as many CBD strains now as high THC strains.

Mostly this effects new growers. Which there are tons of nowadays. People who need CBD probably have a mother they clone regularly. With new growers trying to find a plant that will help them medically. Might find the search for the right plant harder.

When pot was just for fun. A shitty strain here and there was no big deal. As a med, a shitty strain is 4 months lost and no meds!

Back
Top Bottom