CEA changes when switching to LED

HighWaterMark

I have well dialed-in Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA), or a sealed room.

I'm Crossing the Rubicon and switching to LED lighting (Lush Lighting to be specific). Are there any changes I should make to my environment?

I run on augmented CO2 so no minutia is too insignificant.

I've gotten both answers. (1) Adjust To upward to accommodate increased CO2. (2) Decrease CO2ppm to coordinate w temperature demands of a naturally para-equatorial plant. The issue being that if you have a handful of photons from a top-shelf LED panel, you potentially are driving more photosynthesis because their sum PPFD is more specific to the needs of the plant (versus the oft compared 100W HID system). That is, with LED more o' them photons fall into the area under the PPFD curve.

Then, if it's hotter, you need to water it more and your humidity will go up, et cetera, et cetera.

So, would you go with (1) or (2) and if you go with (1), what's your solution for tightening up the day/night temperature difference to prevent progressive increased intranodal distancing, not to mention resolving new concepts on decreasing RH through the plant's life cycle?

Your controlled environment is completely programmable isn't it? With A/C and dehumidifiers possibly attached to some master controller?

What do you mean by: Adjust To upward to accommodate increased CO2

You're the one choosing to decrease or increase the CO2 so I'm a bit confused. I've found the temperatures in an all LED room are much different then an HID room. HID puts off a different, more intense heat while LED is more of an ambient heat so I didn't notice watering more etc

In my experience, you will see a slight decrease in the amount of water and nutrients used. Temperatures during lights on will be 4-7 degrees cooler with the LEDs (depending on space) and the difference between lights on and off should be relatively small. You may not see as much coloring of your leaves and stems, but you will have more bud coloration. You can increase your ppm of CO2 by as much as 150ppm per degree in temp increase because there is a high photosynthetic rate. RH will be high because RH increases as the temperature decreases. Absolute humidity on the other hand should not change. If it is a controlled room you can adjust the RH and Temp as needed to keep the range you want.

Back
Top Bottom