Celt’s Cavern Of Chaos

Not sure how ‘nautical’ it is in your particular spot, but where I live there are plenty of bilge pumps floating around. So to speak. I just dug three out of an old wrecked ship I was pillaging recently. They’re all under 1000 gph in size though. Also on my journal thread once when I was short, someone suggested grabbing an old washing machine pump. Easy to come by but they’re quite low volume.
Probably not telling you anything here that you don’t know already though. Yer welcome to have my ex’s heart to use in a cooling system.... If anyone could find it.

:smokin:

Hey Shed

Yes it is my intention to have those lines going outside to the cooler I am making. That’s why I was tearing the system down, to get it next to the window :rofl:

The thing is though, lines have to be large enough, with enough flow to keep them from freezing on days when it gets down around 0F and colder. Also, it needs to have enough cooling surface to be useful in the summer if I am growing indoors.

The cooling get a little complicated to work out 1-size-fits-all when the temperature here get into the mid 80s in the summer and can hit as low as -40F.

So once I work the plumbing out in my head, there will be an adjustable flow diverter to split flow between cooler and buckets enabling me to half-assed regulate temps in the winter and the cooler is going to be modular so I can increase surface area in the warmer weather :)

Not sure how ‘nautical’ it is in your particular spot, but where I live there are plenty of bilge pumps floating around. So to speak. I just dug three out of an old wrecked ship I was pillaging recently. They’re all under 1000 gph in size though. Also on my journal thread once when I was short, someone suggested grabbing an old washing machine pump. Easy to come by but they’re quite low volume.
Probably not telling you anything here that you don’t know already though. Yer welcome to have my ex’s heart to use in a cooling system.... If anyone could find it.

:smokin:
I actually considered both a washing machine pump and a dish washer pump, old ones here that need to go lol I even considered a bilge pump lol

They all struck me as being lower pressure (which is fine) but low flow as well and using jets for aeration needs one or the other.

Now I have the hot tub pump and scratching my head about it, it’s high pressure and high flow :rofl: the other end of the spectrum. I can deal with the pressure by jet sizing and number of jets (I hope, not sitting down doing a bunch of fluid mechanics calculations :rofl: )

I just hope that the flow is roughly the same as the submersible , otherwise I may have issues with the return flow meaning reworking that for the 3rd time :rofl: I guess Rome wasn’t built in a day or likely built right the first time around either ;)

Well, I can’t find any info on the wiring for this pump, I only know it is 2 speed and has 3 wires that don’t meet conventional colour coding for AC...I have red wire, a yellow wire and a white wire with a red stripe :( conventional AC circuitry uses red and black for hot wires and white for neutral in non-industrial 115v applications.

Checking with an ohm meter tells me nothing as all 3 wires create a loop with each other. So now trial and error has blown the first fuse :rofl: now off to the hardware store to get more fuses, seems I may need a few before I am done :rofl:

Afternoon @Mr. Sauga , I was off the same thinking but obviously not the manufacturers :rofl:

In this motor, red and yellow are the 2 hot lines and white with a red stripe is the neutral. Yellow is often used as a hot line in 3phase systems, along with blue and red, but I’ve not come across its use in single phase before, and neutral is always white in AC single phase but NOT with a red stripe :rofl:

I have it figured out now...red is L1 (hot) and white/red stripe is neutral. The yellow wire is a hot wire as well and when you put power through it, voltage goes to 230v but single phase, doubling the motor speed.

AC can be hard to wrap your head around once it goes beyond 115 single phase, it behaves much differently than direct current.

In a DC 3-wire system with 2 hot wires and one ground, your voltage remains the same but you can now draw 2x the current. AC in the same setup, voltage doubles and current draw either stays the same or is cut in half, depending on how it is wired.

Yellow is often used as a hot line in 3phase systems, along with blue and red, but I’ve not come across its use in single phase before, and neutral is always white in AC single phase but NOT with a red stripe :rofl:
We use rd, bk, and wh for three phase systems here. The white wire normally gets taped with blue at the ends. 220v single ph use either a bk and rd combination or two bk. Not often you see two reds with it. I've never seen a red/white stripe as a neutral though. It does get tricky as you said.

That’s more or less how this motor is setup...black as L1 and Neutral (white/red stripe in this case) to L2 for low speed. The yellow also goes to L2 and when powered, doubles the voltage and speed of the motor.

Most of AC, I can wrap my head around, but single phase 220 has always made me go WTF. Having two live wires at 120vac going to either pole, of say a heating element, and no neutral has always bothered me :rofl:

We tend to think of ”flow” as: Source => Load => Sink (ground in electricity)

Which works great until you get into single phase 220 and the differences between the 2 types of 3 phase. 3 phase Delta has no neutral and a different voltage than 3 phase Star, yet both have the same input voltages.

Afternoon all, well my package from the West Coast has finally arrived, 2 weeks later than Canada Post claims, 30 days rather than the 14 they claim. Thanks to their ineptitude and it spending 10 days sitting in Edmonton and another 10 days sitting in Montreal, all 4 of the plants are dead :(

After seeing how well they deliver, and a complete lack of recourse for me or the sender against a government corporation, any parcels I ship out from here on in are going to be insured and I will file claims against them for any damages due to their lack of delivering within the time frame they claim.

Back
Top Bottom