CFL - Bag Seed - Soil - First Grow

PositiveGrape

Started a bagseed seeding outdoors. Neighbors got nosey and now i'm running a CFL set up

3 x 26w 1750 lumins 2500K
1 x 19w 1200 lumins 2700k

(yes i know i need a higher kelvin for the veg cycle, but these are all i have for the mean time.
All lights within 1-3 inches from the plant itself.
The grow closet is around 75F all day and night
The humidity is moderately low, so i have a few wet towels in there for moister, but the plant itself doesn't feel dry what so ever.

I germinated in a shot glass on May 10. I kept it outside on the back porch for 4 weeks, thru growth of 4-5 nodes. The neighbors got nosey, so i decided to take it inside for a CFL grow.

Today 6.28.14 i transplanted her from a small .25 gallon to a 3 gallon filled up with ocean forest and rainbow mic grow 5-5-2. I topped her after bringing her in doors on the 24th of June. I'm gonna include pics that i started until current.
20140626_105935.jpg
20140626_110002.jpg
20140626_144243.jpg
20140626_144318.jpg
20140627_121100.jpg
20140628_165633.jpg
20140628_165543.jpg
20140628_165532.jpg
20140628_165519.jpg
20140628_165608.jpg
20140628_165557.jpg

Please any advise or comments is so welcomed. I've grown in the past but never solo. This is my first crack at it.

UPDATE:
SOO to any newbie that is reading this. DON'T PUT NUTRIENTS INTO YOUR SOIL. EVEN IF YOU READ IT'S OK... hahahahaha
so on 6.30 i re potted the girl into a new 3 gal, with no nutes. just FF ocean forest. Gave her a good soaking, and ph'd the water and the soil to so the runoff was around 6.0-6.5. I waited entirely to long to get a PH kit, so i advise any newby reading this, to get ONE ASAP if you haven't. it WILL save you a ton of headache and it's not worth the going cheap and getting it later. This is imperative to your success.. over the last 3 days, i believe i've went thru Light burn, slight nute burn, and some other nute deficiencies cause the PH was off. At this point i think i'm in a good spot to let her thrive.

I'm going to post some just an every now and again update here, until others start to show interest. i have a few threads going on for disease and deficiency and ph control if you want to search. Anys, the other threads, posters---are amazing.. the wealth of knowledge here, that is shared, is incredible.. you guys kick ass..
Untill the next update..
20140630_202357.jpg
20140630_202349.jpg
20140630_122438.jpg
20140629_130946.jpg

UPDATE FOR TODAY> 7.1.14
20140701_115815.jpg
20140701_115758.jpg
20140701_115657.jpg
20140701_115446.jpg
20140701_115415.jpg

THESE are all the new top. so anyone wanna chime in here.. did i TOP correctly??? gosh i hope soooo.. hahahaha
20140701_115430.jpg
20140701_115356.jpg

these are of general growth.. it's much greener.. so i feel like the repotting last night was the best thing to do..

NOW for the QUESTIONS>>
Should i defoliate her bottom leaves, cause they are crusty and brown.. on the bottom node, they took a beating thru the bad PH and over nute. you can see from the bottom pic, how yucky they are.. they do have new growth sprouting, so should i pluck it, or just leave it and wait for the new growth to come in..

Now if i do pluck it Also i'm wanting to clone this plant ASAP to see what it is.. again it's a BAG SEED. so how soon can i do this.. i figure, clone, wait a week and straight to 12-12 for flower.. with-in a few weeks i should know the sex.. right?? lol

Now i understand if i should clone unhealthy leaves.. makes sense.. any help here tho is greatly appreciated..

Thats all i can think of now.. i'll keep thinking.. you guys again, kick ass.. thank you..

Subscribed. I am glad you corrected your mistake with placing dry nutrients in your soil and transplanted to fresh soil. You missed the correct place to top your plant. If you look at your photograph you can see 2 small branches forming beneath the mass of leaves in the centre, you want to remove the mass of leaves at the very top and leave the 2 small branches to grow to become new tops.

Here are some youtube videos on Topping cannabis

[video=youtube;btX3l44flps]
[/video]

[video=youtube;qq97gHZfmY8]
[/video]

[video=youtube;GeDFQXGkQX4]
[/video]

[video=youtube;chMcJE8n8QU]
[/video]

[video=youtube;LkyuOHGcBxY]
[/video]

uh-oh.. thank you for subscribbing as i was just about to update the journal.. maybe you can help me out...first off here is a current pic my little girl...
20140703_132524.jpg
20140702_201022.jpg
20140702_201014.jpg
20140702_200945.jpg
20140702_200926.jpg

those are all of the FIM.
now seeing current pic, does it look like i need to redo it still?
thank you again for subbing. i need all the help i can get..

now on to my next question KingJohn is the grow space itself..
I'm building this into a floor to ceiling built in closet.
20140703_132549.jpg

you see the top i'm gonna use for veg, and the bottom cabinet that is dark right now for flowering..

now my question is the this.. on the exhaust i'm gonna use a ora 5 gal bucket to de-odorize the air. my plan was to use one system to exhaust both cabinets.
20140703_133202.jpg
20140702_174409.jpg

i was going to use a 8in 400 cfm fan with 1 6" exhaust out of each cabinet. my question is, to create the negitive pressure to keep light and odor in, on the intake vents, how big or small should they be. my thoughts were this:

2 x 6" out = 12" of exhaust so for the intake do 1 x 3" intake per cabinet for a total of 6" of intake

now with those calculations, am i going to have enough negative pressure?

thanks again for all your help.. you guys are rock stars..

It does appear that you need to redo your FIM on your plant. Ideally you want your air intakes to be 1.5 the surface area of your exhaust size to allow enough airflow to your grow area without restrictions. Creating negative pressure in your grow area is about drawing pressurized exhaust air with an inline fan instead of using a pressurized intake to create positive pressure in your grow area. I would use at least 8" inlets for your grow spaces. Be aware that if you are drawing in the Ona gel scent into your grow area your buds will absorb the flavor as well. What nutrients are you feeding your plant and how many millilitres per gallon? Your plant appears to be ready for higher doses of nitrogen.

You may want to look at how my Seed Cabinet in my KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal to see how I have my equipment set up.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

hmmmm now i just had me a smoke.. so bare with me..
regarding the FIM, i think i'm just gonna leave it.. theres so much going on.. i think there might be 2 or maybe 3 main stems growing.. i don't know tho.. heres a shot:
20140703_145807.jpg
20140703_145847.jpg
20140703_150020.jpg

i don't know whats going on up there.. but i like it.. i just love that beautiful green growing..

now to the nutes.. last weekend (when i re-poted after potting her in soil and EJ Rainbow mix 5-5-2) i believe on Saturday night was the last time i watered her. At that time, i tried to over water her alittle, do a slight flush because of the nutes in the soil and all that.. i figured i'd let her roots stretch alittle for water before i did it. there are still moist spots on the top so i'm thinking a few more days. Now all i have is the EJ rainbow mix. i was going to ask when i should start using it when i water. i was honestly gonna wait a watering then use. should i maybe do a 1/4 dose in the water i feed her next. my plan for WATERING only saturdayish... you say she wants some nitrogen so i guess the rainbow would be good. the lower leaves are so yellow, cause she started out doors, and not enough sun.. since i've set her under 130w of CFL's shes been a good girl.. so do you think i should wait till saturday, and do a 1/4 dose.. or maybe do more? whats your thoughts?

now to the grow cab..
let me ask you this.. to great the pressure i need, if i have a total of 8 inches of exhaust (2 ports 4 inches each) on a 400 cfm inline fan, (my entire grow area is 33 cubic feet) how much total intake space do i need. by the previous post your saying 12 total inches? i just want to make sure i'm understanding that correctly.. you know, measure twice and cut once.. lol

also i would love to not have to use the ora bucket. i mean i thought about instead of ora doing a carbon bucket.. they say it has the same effect, but honestly i dont' think i have the money for the carbon. i'm self employed, so this a low cost build. lol that's why i'm constructing this as i go.. also i live in a densely populated area, basically i could piss out my window and hit my neighbors house.. and while i know they are always up to no good, i just can't take the chance of anyone sniffin around.. as my state is probably not as cool as yours... :) so the inline fan to ora bucket is what the budget is telling me.. i will get it as far away from the grow area intake as possible. as i might be able to get the exhaust into the attic. i'm still further investigating that idea.. so right now it's a ora bucket in the same room, but far away from the grow area..

thanks again for all your help guys. this is incredible.. i wish i could have each one of you over for a toke to relish in the goodness you've helped me create.. you guys really are rock stars..

20140704_153954-1.jpg
20140704_153942.jpg
20140704_153942-1.jpg
20140704_153954.jpg
Ok quick update. I redid the top. Much better. Like it actually looks like what I see on the forum. Lol. Now the new growth I pinched off I resliced at 45 degree and submerged 25% of clipping in rootech gel then right into correctly ph'd ff ocean forest. I cut a water bottle. For the humidity tent and put them in a high warm part of my cab with no direct light.. I only have pics of the new top I'll post pics of the hopeful clones later.

now to the nutes.. last weekend (when i re-poted after potting her in soil and EJ Rainbow mix 5-5-2) i believe on Saturday night was the last time i watered her. At that time, i tried to over water her alittle, do a slight flush because of the nutes in the soil and all that.. i figured i'd let her roots stretch alittle for water before i did it. there are still moist spots on the top so i'm thinking a few more days. Now all i have is the EJ rainbow mix. i was going to ask when i should start using it when i water. i was honestly gonna wait a watering then use. should i maybe do a 1/4 dose in the water i feed her next. my plan for WATERING only saturdayish... you say she wants some nitrogen so i guess the rainbow would be good. the lower leaves are so yellow, cause she started out doors, and not enough sun.. since i've set her under 130w of CFL's shes been a good girl.. so do you think i should wait till saturday, and do a 1/4 dose.. or maybe do more? whats your thoughts?

now to the grow cab..
let me ask you this.. to great the pressure i need, if i have a total of 8 inches of exhaust (2 ports 4 inches each) on a 400 cfm inline fan, (my entire grow area is 33 cubic feet) how much total intake space do i need. by the previous post your saying 12 total inches? i just want to make sure i'm understanding that correctly.. you know, measure twice and cut once.. lol

I would start with a 1/4 strength dose of your nutrients and see how your plant reacts to the strength of the nutrients.

Here is a guide on nutrients and how to use them that may help you

Nutes: What To Use & How To Use Them Tutorial

Here is the homepage for your Hydro Organics Earth Juice Rainbow Mix

https://www.hydrofarm.com

If you are using 2x 4" exhaust connected to your inline fan I would use 2x 6" air intake ports so that you do not restrict airflow in your grow areas.

Most people find that FoxFarm Ocean Forest has too many nutrients for seedlings and rooting cuttings, you may want to either use a peat moss based medium or FoxFarm Happy Frog soil as a milder grow medium for rooting cuttings.

I use peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae for my plants. I would mix your soiless mixture in a ratio of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite and 20% vermiculite. If you can get Pro-Mix HP you would only need to add vermiculite and mycorrhizae. Vermiculite acts as a catalyst between nutrients and the plants roots as well as retaining moisture.

PRO-MIX HP Mycorrhizae - High porosity peat-based growing medium

UPDATE:
So this morning, the top is looking good, butttt these leaves are all so deformed.. can anyone help me here.. Is this normal when you screw up a FIM/TOP at first? or is it something eating my little girl? pictured you'll see the new top, which is coming in nicely, and then some pics of the deformed leaves.. it appears that nothing is growing in correctly.. lol
20140705_132559.jpg
20140705_132558.jpg

these are of the new top... not to bad...
20140705_132535.jpg
20140705_132515.jpg
20140705_132448.jpg

look at how these leaves look.. so strange.. is this bad? should i be worried, and if so is there anything i can do?
thanks again guys.. your all rock stars..

What are your temperature and humidity levels? What are you adjusting the pH of your nutrients to? What is the pH of your runoff water?

TEMP with lights on 79ish.. small computer fan for circulation. Humididty is low, thats why i have a cup with water under a light with a papertowel in it. to help with the humidity.

The PH run off last saturday when i tested it was 6.5ish (i'm using color and drops) but i have a 4 way for the soil now. it says 7.0 for the ph soil level. so when i feed today i was gonna ph the water to get the soil down to 6.0-6.5. i haven't watered since last saturday. i'll take a pic of the 4 way results.

I would flush your pot with at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as pot size or until your runoff is pH 6.5. You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering. If your humidity remains too low your plants will still have an evaporation problem. I would purchase a cool mist humidifier and place it in the area where your air intake is.

hmmm what i really need to get is a temp/humidity gauge. lol so i really know whats going on in there.. i really appreaciate all your help. i'm gonna feed her in a couple hours , so hopefully i can get that ph down.. she's lookin great really.. when i opened her up this morning it was the first time she had a smell.. it was amazing.. like i got hit in the face by a skunk.. yum.. :circle-of-love:

ok so i got a temp/humidity gauge. temp is 81 which is fine but humidity, i knew it was low, but crap.. we're running around 35-40%. i've got a cup with water and a paper towel in it under the lights.. anything else you can recommend other then buying a humidifier.. i don't really have the cash for that right now.. i need to come up with some cheaper alternatives.. i do have a spray bottle, can i just keep misting the plants, like maybe 3 times a day? would that be ok?

also i watered/fed nuts today.. i fed ph adjusted 1/2 gallon clean thru her. then mixed up 1/3 nuts into another 1/2 gal and gave her that. the 4 way still says it's dry and not enough nutes. it also says the ph is 7.0 but i ph'd the runoff water and it was 6.0-6.5.. so i don't know who to believe.. any help here guys?

UPDATE:
Does she look normal. Color wise at least. i know the leaves are deformed.. haven't got a straight answer on on why or if it's bad..
also i got a gauge so i figured out it's 81 with lights on and 35% humidity.. i'm trying to add humidity into the air but it's not working real well. anyways heres the pics with the plant color, from the top, and the new correctly done top.
20140705_214844.jpg
20140705_173958.jpg
20140705_214926.jpg

any comments are very welcomed.. thanks guys..

ok so i got a temp/humidity gauge. temp is 81 which is fine but humidity, i knew it was low, but crap.. we're running around 35-40%. i've got a cup with water and a paper towel in it under the lights.. anything else you can recommend other then buying a humidifier.. i don't really have the cash for that right now.. i need to come up with some cheaper alternatives.. i do have a spray bottle, can i just keep misting the plants, like maybe 3 times a day? would that be ok?

also i watered/fed nuts today.. i fed ph adjusted 1/2 gallon clean thru her. then mixed up 1/3 nuts into another 1/2 gal and gave her that. the 4 way still says it's dry and not enough nutes. it also says the ph is 7.0 but i ph'd the runoff water and it was 6.0-6.5.. so i don't know who to believe.. any help here guys?

I would not suggest misting your plants to raise the humidity, water droplets can magnify the light and burn your leaves. I would trust your liquid pH test kit over the soil test meter. Heat stress, watering stress and pH stress can all deform leaves.

Back
Top Bottom