CFL Light Tutorial

I just want to make sure i am understanding this correctly. The wattage your going by to determine what you need for square footage is what the actual wattage is not the "compared to" wattage correct? So my 300-watt CFL's have a actual wattage of 68watts, so only really good for about 1.5sq ft. Correct? Thanks

Actual wattage is the watts the CFL puts out, the other wattage is in comparison to a incondesant light bulb....105 watts are actual, 400 watts are in comparison to a incondesant light bulb....or 105watt/400watt....ok?
:thumb:

Actual wattage is the watts the CFL puts out, the other wattage is in comparison to a incondesant light bulb....105 watts are actual, 400 watts are in comparison to a incondesant light bulb....or 105watt/400watt....ok?
:thumb:

That is not correct. Things that make wattage, put out wattage, are things like generators. Things like lights Use wattage.

CFLs use less wattage but make more lumen. So when they show that comparison they are illustrating the efficiency of the CFL as compared to incandescent.

If you use a 26 watt CFL you are making at much light as a 100 Incandescent. More people get hung up on this and it is really simple.

When you buy something that uses power (Light, heater, blow dryer) you buying something that uses watts. If you buy a generator or solar panel you are buying something that makes watts.

That is not correct. Things that make wattage, put out wattage, are things like generators. Things like lights Use wattage.

CFLs use less wattage but make more lumen. So when they show that comparison they are illustrating the efficiency of the CFL as compared to incandescent.

If you use a 26 watt CFL you are making at much light as a 100 Incandescent. More people get hung up on this and it is really simple.

When you buy something that uses power (Light, heater, blow dryer) you buying something that uses watts. If you buy a generator or solar panel you are buying something that makes watts.

That's right, it's really all about lumens, and CFLs are using watts, not putting out watts, your right....

My CFLs right side of closet
P2210028.JPG

My Re-grow
P2210019.JPG

P2210011.JPG
P2210020.JPG
P2210001.JPG
P2180013.JPG
P2180007.JPG

Burning +1290CFLs w/ +90,000 lumens for 4 plants.....getting ur it done :tokin:

300wcfl.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I got 14 of these only 42w online for 2.43 each. I have all of them in a 2'x2'x4' box in one fixture.

11-16-2010_026.jpg

Hey Rossislaughin where did you did the 42w online for $2.50.. THANX

Good Stuff Freshmoney.

I have used a homemade fixture similar to your's in the past. However, I think you get better use of a CFL by dangling them between plants instead of making a fixture like that. The light radiates from the bulb in pretty much all directions. Half of your light is going into the reflector and then trying to get back through the bulb itself. A lot of bouncing back and forth and light is lost. Not a terrible thing, but for me using CFLs it is all about getting every single lumen to work for you.

G-dog Just to clarify thats not my setup dont wanna take credit for someones work......i am going cfl's but haven't built anything yet.

I was referring to the 42w bulbs Rossislaughin was getting for $2.50 a piece......
I need that DEAL....

I have used a homemade fixture similar to your's in the past. However, I think you get better use of a CFL by dangling them between plants instead of making a fixture like that.

Really, so itd be better if using CFLs to just let em dangle, good to know. Im planning to use a 2' long 4 bulb T5 fixture now for my top light with either a CFL splitter on either side wall, or a 2 bulb T8 fixture on either side for supplemental lighting.

G-dog Just to clarify thats not my setup dont wanna take credit for someones work......i am going cfl's but haven't built anything yet.

I was referring to the 42w bulbs Rossislaughin was getting for $2.50 a piece......
I need that DEAL....

Ya def. need to find that!!! haha what would the 42W put out, like 150. My 19 are equivalent to 75W... Dont see much bigger in residential electrical lol.

This is a valuable thread and has not had any activity lately. I needed to bump it to get it visible. It would be nice if it were a sticky or something.

Hello all - have been reading this thread and am grateful for all the valued information in it. Being a tinkerer, all the styles of hangers/fixtures are a real bonus. There is one design though that seems to be missing, and that is the parabola. Without trying to sound like a sexual intellectual (f**kin know-it-all), the parabola is the easiest to make and the most efficient way of concentrating/aiming light from a source. (It does have its drawbacks: very involved for more than two bulbs per fixture). But for side lighting, I don't think it can be beat.

Edit: my apologies, I should have said that this was for CFL's. And that what I found was that the parabolic trough was preferred over the dish.

i've read that cfl's with the spectrum of 3300k can be used for the entire grow instead of switching between to different bulbs for vegging and flowering, i have proof in my grows, check'em out..

I have a book that says the best reflective material is
1, mylar
2, flat white
3, glossy white
4, tin foil (but not with HID lights but low wattage CFLs are OK)
5, mirrors, but they are not safe

not that any book is always right!

elasomeric (sp) roofing paint works great its 93% reflective if i remember it almost beats mylar and you dont have to worrie about reflective burns... its also mildew and mold resistant and wipes down easly.
got mine at lowes.

also i posted these along time ago on my grow and now theres a place for them..... these are light graphs showing the different light spectrums presented by the different types of Cfls

first here is true daylight
outdoor_daylight.jpg

Warm/Bright White CFL
warm_white_deluxe.jpg

here is Daylight Spec CFL
daylight.jpg

and the ALL IMPORTAINT COOL WHITE
cool_white_deluxe.jpg

i had one for MH and HPS but i cant seem to find them onb the site anymore...ill have to search my puter.

great link tulip lots of good info here

I can’t measure spectrum nor can I calculate it from the information at hand. Each of my bulbs are rated for Color Temperature.
I have plenty of testimonials, many on this site, on low red color temperatures being better for flower and high blue better for veg. The absorbed spectrum is central to the ad pitch for LED lights.
action%2520spectrum%2520en.jpg
This shows that plants absorb the red and blue light and not so much the green. I can’t measure the absorption or the spectrum of the light.

lol what do you know i just posted what you wernt able to measure lol

The Theory is that red is better for flower and blue better for veg.

However, in nature, and certainly according to where you are located, you get a mixed spectrum of light every single day.

In the summer months the sun is above you more and that produces the blue. In the fall and winter the sun is more at an angle and it produces more of the red. But all year long during noon the sun is producing blue and in the evenings and morning it is producing more reds.

I have grown with single spectrum MH, HPS and Florescent and mixed spectrum. I have not noticed any difference so I am not caught up in the hype. If you want to change for the seasons go ahead, but I think the difference is not even noticeable if anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom