CFL lighting clarification help.

mrmeadows

Hey everyone!

So recently I have just started my first indoor grow. I decided to let her grow in a closet area i have made. So i started with 1 measly light: CFL 2700k 1760Lumens 26w.. i was doing proper cycles with that one bulb and she ended up looking like this: after a week! the cfl was about an inch away from the seedling. unfortunately im pretty sure im not getting the light i need. as of this morning i checked and the plant appears wilted and just plain sad.... i jumped up, put another one of the same lights and then a fan to blow around in the closet, hopefully i will see her perk right up! ..... If someone could give some explanation , or point me to a forum post which has the answer thatd be awesome and greatly appreciated!

what CFL should i really be using for my seedling ( 1.5 weeks old ), and the rest of veg? what Kelvin, what lumens, and what wattage? This is a budget grow, so whatever decent cheap lights will work, i will use!

heres my grow:
UjyM1qB.jpg
Soon it will all be put into a convenient grow cabinet or 30-50 gallon storage box with built in fans etc.

thanks guys and gals!

no worries, the same thing happened to me this morning with my widow. she was doing great all week, looking just like a text book pic. then this morning, this:
IMG_097625.jpg

I did the same thing you did. Hit up 420 folks. you could actually follow the string of messages. seedling went limp. i had my seedling to far away from the light. i was also watering with super thrive to potent. This is what happened.
IMG_098218.jpg

So far so good. i see what i need to do tom marrow. Folks know what they talking bout on here, but then again some don't. Use your best judgement.
Teerowdy

Man what a pain! So, i went out on a Home Depot run and picked up the following.

- (4) 5000k 23w bulbs..

- I found a CFL port with 120v plugs on the side... so i have a little three in one CFL setup. the bottom light on the setup is like 1 inch away from the top of the plant.

- 30 gallon plastic bin. ( lined the bin with aluminum foil ) and placed the light through the top.. put some foil in cup so light reflects underneath the plant.

Setup:
nlnzwT0.jpg

Distance from seedling:
WcGesCR.jpg

Poor wilted baby:
gAZ0pER.jpg

You're much too close. that wilting issue looks like heat issues, getting too hot. To find the right level, hold your exposed wrist under the light. where it gets too uncomfortable? You want to back off to just beyond that distance, or you'll winnd up having cooked potpofa sprouts. Might work for a sandwich, but not for growing.

You're much too close. that wilting issue looks like heat issues, getting too hot. To find the right level, hold your exposed wrist under the light. where it gets too uncomfortable? You want to back off to just beyond that distance, or you'll winnd up having cooked potpofa sprouts. Might work for a sandwich, but not for growing.

Haha... sandwiches. Ok so I moved the light back about an inch or 2, everyones telling me to have it 1-2 inches from the seedling, but maybe ill give it a try with the farther distance, lets see how she responds.....and also it started wilting before the new lights.. i only had (1) 26W 2700K crap bulb and it was thriving fine.... then slowly started wilting, thats when i decided to go out and get three new bulbs. maybe I'm overwatering or something. soils a bit damp. thanks for all input ! :)

I've sen them started on 1 smaller light. Right now, you want to give them light but not cook. Some say 1-2 inches, some say 6 inches. But the only one that seems to be consistant for recommendations is to check with your hand. But, given some have callouses and not as heat sensitive, it's better it use the inner arm or insude of the wrist, since whatever you feel for a few seconds of checking is what that plant is going to feel 24-7. And be sure to keep a close eye on it, so you can back the light off as it sprouts up high.

Man what a pain! So, i went out on a Home Depot run and picked up the following.

- (4) 5000k 23w bulbs..

- I found a CFL port with 120v plugs on the side... so i have a little three in one CFL setup. the bottom light on the setup is like 1 inch away from the top of the plant.

- 30 gallon plastic bin. ( lined the bin with aluminum foil ) and placed the light through the top.. put some foil in cup so light reflects underneath the plant.

Are the getting fresh air? Do you know the temperature in your grow box? Make sure water drains from your cups so the roots can get oxygen, let the soil dry out between waterings. And I do not think you need the bin unless that is your grow box.

Back
Top Bottom