CFL - Soil - Bag Seed - Unas's Mini Box Grow - 2018

Unas369

420 Member
Hello, and welcome to my grow journal. I believe you will enjoy this one since you don't see too many "poor man's" grows here :). I mean, when is the last time you saw a CFL, bag seed grow? Obviously, all comments (critique, advice, thoughts) are more than welcome.

Setup:

Grow box: H 45 x W 32 x D 23 (inch), painted white (the height is irrelevant because I put bags and things under my plants as a way of manipulating the distance from the lights, so there is plenty of vertical space left unused)

Lights: 6 white and 4 red spectrum CFLs for now. They are all 20, 23 and 24 watts, so that's aprox 220+W. I'm planing on adding more and more red spectrum as the flowering progresses.

Medium: standard cheap potting soil for flowers mixed in with some crushed polystyrene for better drainage.

Pots: 3 gallon plastic buckets painted black to keep light from disturbing the roots

Ventilation: 1x 4.5inch pc fan for intake and 2x for out, plus one 3inch pc fan inside the box to help the air circulation

Temp: daytime temps vary from 80F to 90Fmax. Night time temps around 75-77F

Humidity: day 30-40% RH, night 40-50% RH

Ph: Looks like it tends to rise to some 7.5 and even more, so the only thing I can do is water them with 5.8-6.0ph tap water that I let sit in open bottles for 24 hours. I bring the ph down with lemon.

Watering schedule: When the top inch of soil is completely dry (every 8-9 days on average)

Ferts: Some cheap universal vegetative fertilizer (NPK 6-3-6)
Schedule: I fed them once with 1/4th the amount prescribed, when they were about 3 weeks old.

Plants are about a month old from seed and there were 5 of them until I took one male plant out yesterday. I will be making leaf tea and root topical cream from the male, so he's not just wasted.
I also just switched to 12/12 today so they are now officially in flowering stage. But check this out: one plant started flowering on its own after about 15 days of 18/6 and has not yet shown any intentions of stopping. She is now ahead of them all by some two weeks. The chance of it being autoflowering are very very slim. What do you think is going on here?
The rest of the girls have shown female preflowers in the last couple of days. I was so happy to get 4 out of 5, although im still not 100% on 2 of them, but they look like female preflowers to me - check the photos.

I hope I got all important info covered. And now, last but not least, the photos!

20180111_112904.jpg
20180104_145028.jpg
DSCF43891.JPG
DSCF4376.JPG
DSCF43721.JPG
DSCF4371.JPG
DSCF4369.JPG
DSCF43681.JPG
DSCF4367.JPG
DSCF4366.JPG
DSCF4325.JPG
DSCF4277.JPG

In case you are wondering, those other plants are: garlic, Lamb's Quarter (Chenopodium album) and two apple seedlings :) I also have one clone that I just put in the soil to see if it would root on its own with no special treatment. Other cups are there to hopefully bump up the humidity levels.

btw. this was supposed to be Skunk x Haze grow but the seeds were too old and just wouldn't germinate.

Looking forward to meeting you fellow greenthumbs and exchanging (mostly gaining :D) valuable info with y'all.

Welcome Unas. They do look good for a poor man's (woman's) grow. PW is most probably right about the autoflower. If there was light leakage more would have sexed. Good luck.

Thanks Pennywise

Welcome Unas. They do look good for a poor man's (woman's) grow. PW is most probably right about the autoflower. If there was light leakage more would have sexed. Good luck.

Thanks man. I thought light leakage can only interrupt flowering and not induce it?

Some of my plants seem to have some kind of mild deficiency. I'm thinking its either Mg, Fe, Cl, N or a combination, im not sure. It could be the high ph, but im sure the soil is pretty poor also. 2 days ago I experimented a little bit. I fed one with mineral water with just a little bit of nutes, the other one just got half a teaspoon of epsom salt and the remaining two (the flowering one on the right that is also 100% female) got a light dose of nutes. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days.

Here they are, just woke up.

20180112_110450222.jpg
20180112_110504222.jpg

All confirmed females. I was so lucky to get 4 females out of 5 plants :)

DSCF44271.JPG

Few extra photos:

DSCF44431.JPG
DSCF4436.JPG
20180114_123337.jpg

And I just added 3 warm white CFLs. Now there are 5 cool white and 7 warm white. Thats now about 250+ Watts of CFL powah! Its day 5 of 12/12 I think :D

btw. I was expecting more attention from you guys here tbh :( I will be needing your opinions on the deficiency and UV light because im thinking of adding one reptile light in there for more resin production. I have been reading a lot about UV lights but couldn't find a definitive answer. I need experienced greenthumbs and I know there's not a shortage of 'em here.

Don`t worry. We are watching and will jump in if required.
These plants will only go into full flowering if exposed to a 12 hr light cycle, unless they are autoflower. Some outdoor growers will expose their plants to a strong light flash during several nights in July to induce the flowering cycle. If left to their own ends they wouldn`t start to flower until the end of Aug so would not develop full flowers before winter.
A UV light source could help as long as it is not too close to the plants and not too intense. UV in addition to stimulating resin production will also more rapidly degrade THC than other spectra.
I`m not seeing any serious deficiencies in your plants. Don`t start throwing too many things at your plants to solve issues which may not exist. I find people obsess over a discoloured leaf, add everything they have in the grow room to the plants and end up totally screwing up the soil chemistry.

Thanks Dusted. That is some very interesting info about inducing flowering outdoors. What happens when a flowering plant indoors receives some weak light during the dark period? Will it screw with the flowering?

About my plants: I fed them 2 times VERY lightly so far. The second feeding was actually kind of an experiment. I gave 3 plants some very light nutes (2 with regular water and one with mineral water) and gave one plant epsom salt with no fertilizer. The one that got epsom salt was the one having the most yellow old leaves and after that feeding the yellowing on the other plants seems to have slowed down while she continued to drop bottom leaves. So I guess I can exclude Mg, at least as the main deficiency. They are probably mostly missing N and probably a little Calcium. Actually, they are probably missing a little bit of everything considering the quality of this soil. But I'm not gonna add anything anytime soon. Tomorrow I'll give em some water and lightly feed the one that didn't get fed last time. They are all slowly starting to flower so the next feeding will be with flowering nutes (in about 10 days) and it will also be very light.

More LST:

DSCF44911.JPG

DSCF44921.JPG
DSCF44992.JPG

And more bud worshiping :)

DSCF4474.JPG

I just can't resist posting more photos. I'm so proud of my girls! I hope they are not camera shy and don't mind the flashing :)

DSCF45351.JPG
DSCF45381.JPG
DSCF45073.JPG

Today, I decided to give them their first flowering meal (75% strength). Also some more LSTing for the plants that are still stretching. They are all going strong. I feel so much pride and joy! Knock on wood.

DSCF4615.JPG
DSCF4619222.jpg

Do you guys think I should slowly go for FULL red spectrum or should I leave a couple cool whites in there until the end?

Thanks man. I got 7 warm white and 5 cool white, so I guess I'll leave it like that.
The "early girl" is starting to smell sooooo good!!!
btw. I pruned one of the plants a little bit and I just took one branch that was underdeveloped and stuck it in a cup full of soil and put it under a humidity dome. No rooting hormone, same soil and no special treatment. Lets see what happens.

Thanks Dusted. That is some very interesting info about inducing flowering outdoors. What happens when a flowering plant indoors receives some weak light during the dark period? Will it screw with the flowering?

About my plants: I fed them 2 times VERY lightly so far. The second feeding was actually kind of an experiment. I gave 3 plants some very light nutes (2 with regular water and one with mineral water) and gave one plant epsom salt with no fertilizer. The one that got epsom salt was the one having the most yellow old leaves and after that feeding the yellowing on the other plants seems to have slowed down while she continued to drop bottom leaves. So I guess I can exclude Mg, at least as the main deficiency. They are probably mostly missing N and probably a little Calcium. Actually, they are probably missing a little bit of everything considering the quality of this soil. But I'm not gonna add anything anytime soon. Tomorrow I'll give em some water and lightly feed the one that didn't get fed last time. They are all slowly starting to flower so the next feeding will be with flowering nutes (in about 10 days) and it will also be very light.

More LST:

DSCF44911.JPG

DSCF44921.JPG
DSCF44992.JPG

And more bud worshiping :)

DSCF4474.JPG

Hey Unas, if flowering plants are exposed to light during the 12 hr darkness period they will get stressed out and can revert back into veg or more commonly turn into a hermie and throw pollen everywhere. It is crucial to ensure your grow is light proof, one pollen sack can ruin every plant. Your plants are looking nice so far!

This is the first time I am able to see the trichomes this good because today I finally acquired a good magnifier. Looks to me like 90% of them are clear, but I cant really tell, can you? I know its very early but I wanna get the hang of it. I guess I'll just keep watching and training my eye. And btw. I think I'm in love with that blood red pistil!

20180124_155300.jpg
20180124_155244.jpg
20180124_155112.jpg
20180124_155322.jpg

Update:

The girls are flowering nicely. Temperature is getting a little out of hand when I'm not there to open the window from time to time - it goes up to 32C (90F)! I hope its not that big of a deal, or is it?

There was a watering 3 days ago and this morning they got their first full strength feeding.

The unknown "early girl" is light years ahead of the others. It must be an autoflower I guess.

Some pics:

20180128_123139.jpg
20180128_232856.jpg
DSCF47182.JPG
DSCF4727222.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

All confirmed females. I was so lucky to get 4 females out of 5 plants :)

DSCF44271.JPG

Few extra photos:

DSCF44431.JPG
DSCF4436.JPG
20180114_123337.jpg

And I just added 3 warm white CFLs. Now there are 5 cool white and 7 warm white. Thats now about 250+ Watts of CFL powah! Its day 5 of 12/12 I think :D

btw. I was expecting more attention from you guys here tbh :( I will be needing your opinions on the deficiency and UV light because im thinking of adding one reptile light in there for more resin production. I have been reading a lot about UV lights but couldn't find a definitive answer. I need experienced greenthumbs and I know there's not a shortage of 'em here.

You're so lucky your bag seed were mostly females, I haven't been as lucky. Hoping to travel and get some fem seeds this summer. Until then, try try again!

Back
Top Bottom