CFL vs HPS Question

600w CFL = up to 40,000 lumens

400w HPS = up to 55,000 lumens

600w HPS = up to 95,000 lumens

they're in different leagues.

don't be fooled by being able to get the bulbs really close to the plants, because whilst they're close to one bud, they're a fair bit away from all of the others, which is why penetration is a absolutely key; I learned this from experience...

Hi I found a site with 2000watt cfl hoods and higher (I think maxes out at 4800). they have 2types one for the large elongated bulbs and another for the CFL familiar type. I need light And I too and shopping around and wondering what will be best for me a 600watt HPS or that mega lumen monster hood for under 250.USD - they have veg and bloom bulbs
I'm reading your calculations and based on the lumens the CFL is better yet the penetration factor is a concern.
Which now has me in a bind and uncertain which may be the best for me.
So current space is 5.5 x3 x5'H.
Potential new space is maybe 10x8x8
Lights on hand:
2 vert 4'T8s
low level MH and HPS 3 total to flood mid and lower branches
overhead light is the concern

also found LED stripping (6'+) lengths which I think could possibly be used to circle the area - and dump the on hand lights - reducing costs and not sacrifice lighting

Suggestions welcomed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

oh, if only such things were available here.

JFTHOI, I switched one of my racks to my MH for 10 days and growth slowed to a crawl. when I went back to my CFL's growth began, again. I'm not going to trash all MH bulbs, just mine.

when I got my electric bill a week ago, I almost fainted. I turned off my T-5's and only ran the A/C for about 6 hrs/day. the plants were fine. as of Monday, I've turned the A/C off entirely and the plants still look fine. in fact, these are the most pleasing looking plants I've had, though admittedly, they are short and far shorter than I expected.

I take weekly photos and tomorrow is photo day but I'll attach my photos from last Friday and you can comment.

er. apparently I can't do that on this reply. allow me to try again on another.

AB_test_001.JPG

complicated. I guess I've never posted a pic here.

thanks!

I may even upload tomorrow's for your viewing.

too.

pardon my English Ed background.

you're right. I should. and I will.

I've been working my way up through lesser forums before I unleash on superior forums like this. I don't want to come across as an idiot.

This thread is in Frequently asked Questions.

To make a journal go to Journals in progress and start a new thread there.

Make sure you read the first post here

Feel free to add friends and invite them to your journal.

Also add you journal to your signature.

And you are correct I missed a "o" in the word to in my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom