CFL vs LED? Hard Decisions

akaman

high community, it's been awhile since i've posted a question and i know there have been alot of Q and A's on this subject but after checking out different grows dealing with both type of lights, i'm still at a lost when it comes to which lights to get. when i checked out Namaste's grow with the led from GLH i was determined to save the money to get it because i was so impressed with it. THEN i checked out Matanuska Valley's grow with flourescents and i was blown away with the pics that were posted. i know some ppl will say it comes down to cost which is true also but i'm looking for the best grow i can get. if that means spending the dollars for the LED system, then so be it but if the flouros can do the job too (based on MV's grow's) i'm all in. so my question this time around is which do i go with? i don't want to end up with a bunch of different lights because of indecision( hps/mh, led, cfl's and flouros). i had already popped for the hps/mh conversion lights which i ended up not using because of electrical cost. i'd like this buy to be the last. so, and no disrepect meant to the rest of the community, if anyone who has checked out or followed either Namaste's or MV's grows please help in this dilemma. much respect for all responses regardless.:smokin:

Here's my opinion. Most guys run LED's or CFL's because of heat issues, not because of the cost of electricity. If you don't have heat issues, I would advise that you use the MH/HPS light that you ALREADY have without having to spend more money.

I just want to tell you that you won't save THAT much electricity at all. I'll give you my example. I run a 600W HPS right now. My total electricity cost per day (just for my 600 watter) was $1.53. What that means is that if I go about 11 weeks in flower, it will cost me a total of $117.81 (only to run my 600 watter). The actual power draw on the GLH 300 LED is just under 400 watts. If I were to run that light instead, I would only save about $40 for the entire flowering phase. And that's not much at all.

I would really make some calculations with your electric bill and figure out exactly how much you're paying to run each light and then make your decision based on that. :goodluck:

Thx for your opinion HempRocket, truly appreciated. Here's the problem, where I live the electricity is expensive and to top it off my home is all electric. Thats why I was never able to use the 400 watt conversion light I have. I bought it before I moved to this state. But give me your thoughts on flouros and cfl's because with the 400 i was going to definitely have heat issues too. Have you ever checked out Matanuska Valley's grow using flourescent lights? The man has awesome grow pics. Btw I wasn't going to go with the 300 watt led, more like the 180 version, space is small. Thx again bro:smokin:

Here's my take.
You have to do what is best for you.

Is your goal the best weed you can smoke?
Best how? Best high? smell? bud size? density? weight? edibles?

What are you looking for?

Now that we have that out of the way.

My opinion: a combinations of lights will give the best results.
Here's why, I do not think any 1 type of lighting system can produce the same spectrum as the sun.

Here's my opinion. Most guys run LED's or CFL's because of heat issues, not because of the cost of electricity. If you don't have heat issues, I would advise that you use the MH/HPS light that you ALREADY have without having to spend more money.

I just want to tell you that you won't save THAT much electricity at all. I'll give you my example. I run a 600W HPS right now. My total electricity cost per day (just for my 600 watter) was $1.53. What that means is that if I go about 11 weeks in flower, it will cost me a total of $117.81 (only to run my 600 watter). The actual power draw on the GLH 300 LED is just under 400 watts. If I were to run that light instead, I would only save about $40 for the entire flowering phase. And that's not much at all.

I would really make some calculations with your electric bill and figure out exactly how much you're paying to run each light and then make your decision based on that. :goodluck:

What do you pay per kilowatt hour in your area? I am planning on running a few light systems all at the same time, and I'm trying to keep the power consumption just as stealthy as the operation itself. At your calculations, my flowering chamber alone (300wHPS @ 12hrs) will be approximately $22.95/month. I want to keep a seedling chamber (46wCFl @ 24hrs), a cloning chamber (46wCFL + 50wLED @ 12hrs), and a veg chamber (96wT5 @ 18/6hrs) running simultaneously, but these dollar figures are a little dishearting. I may have to change my plans and go with one chamber at a time, putting clones into the flowering chamber.
Any feedback would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

Here's my take.
You have to do what is best for you.

Is your goal the best weed you can smoke?
Best how? Best high? smell? bud size? density? weight? edibles?

What are you looking for?

Now that we have that out of the way.

My opinion: a combinations of lights will give the best results.
Here's why, I do not think any 1 type of lighting system can produce the same spectrum as the sun.

Thx ChicagoJoe for the feedback, much respect, I wish that I could say all of the above but i don't have the experience( from reading different threads and journals) to grow the perfect bud nor do I have the space. I'm so limited with what I can do it's ridiculous. But I'm determined to grow regardless. And to answer your question tho I would have to say bud size and density. What type of light setup would you suggest to someone living on a budget with a very small space, converted entertainment cabinet( 21x50x16) to work with( other than mh/hps)? Also thinking about converting a chest dresser( 35x53x17) for a little more space. your input is appreciated. Thx again:smokin:

Big dense buds with CFLs = High watts you can't really get around it.

Big dense buds with LEDs = High initial cost, a little lower wattage?

You might want to think about other factors too, will I want to expand my grow in later years. Am I willing to pay to replace or repair my LED system if it breaks. Will LEDs get cheaper as they become an older growing technology.

You are kind of all over the place, in the first post you said you aren't really concerned with the cost but it your latest post you said you are on a budget. Your money is either going to be spent on a LED system or power for your CFLs. What is better for you in the long run?

I have both. I bought a couple of LED spotlight globes to try in a ceiling mounted technique over a table. I am happy with them,although the light is perhaps a bit 'stark'. I also have megaman CFL's installed in a few single ceiling mounted spotlights and they also work well. It probably comes down to how much light you need for a specific area.

Here's the thing, I haven't used LED's to grow yet and I will probably not use them for some time as I believe that they are waaaaay too expensive at the moment (at least the good quality one's). You said that you already have the MH/HPS kit and you...
ended up not using because of electrical cost.

If your only consideration is the electric bill, I'm just going to repeat myself....you won't save that much. With CFL's you will probably have to match the HPS watt for watt in order to get the same results. But hey go out and buy a light for $600 (LED) and get the same results as you would with your HPS (that you already own).

Big dense buds with CFLs = High watts you can't really get around it.

Big dense buds with LEDs = High initial cost, a little lower wattage?

You might want to think about other factors too, will I want to expand my grow in later years. Am I willing to pay to replace or repair my LED system if it breaks. Will LEDs get cheaper as they become an older growing technology.

You are kind of all over the place, in the first post you said you aren't really concerned with the cost but it your latest post you said you are on a budget. Your money is either going to be spent on a LED system or power for your CFLs. What is better for you in the long run?

Thx for input billmoe93, I know the good LED's are going to be expensive but I believe I will be saving some money in the long run not having to deal with cooling the cab. And any savings is still savings. I am on a budget thats why I said in the first post I would be saving up to buy the LED light not buy it outright. As far as replacing or repairing the LED, I would hope for a good warranty and I know of one dealer who has a good warranty. Also I have no intention of expanding my grow unless they outright legalize it. And will LED's get cheaper as they become an older technology? I'm sure they will and I'll be right there saving again to buy what I want. So the question really was which way to spend the money. I'm really leaning towards the future and right now it's LED. Thx again billmoe93, much appreciated. hope I answered your questions.:smokin:

I have both. I bought a couple of LED spotlight globes to try in a ceiling mounted technique over a table. I am happy with them,although the light is perhaps a bit 'stark'. I also have megaman CFL's installed in a few single ceiling mounted spotlights and they also work well. It probably comes down to how much light you need for a specific area.

High arraneagle, never saw those in action before, I would be grateful if you had some pics. Or if you ever do a journal, count me in.:smokin:

Here's the thing, I haven't used LED's to grow yet and I will probably not use them for some time as I believe that they are waaaaay too expensive at the moment (at least the good quality one's). You said that you already have the MH/HPS kit and you...

If your only consideration is the electric bill, I'm just going to repeat myself....you won't save that much. With CFL's you will probably have to match the HPS watt for watt in order to get the same results. But hey go out and buy a light for $600 (LED) and get the same results as you would with your HPS (that you already own).

Well at least I won't have to put out for cooling the box if I do go LED HempRocket:) thanx for your input bro, very enlightening and really appreciated:smokin: p.s. Hey were you trying to rub that last sentence in my face? lol

Well at least I won't have to put out for cooling the box if I do go LED HempRocket:) thanx for your input bro, very enlightening and really appreciated:smokin:

I've grown with CFL's before and I can tell you from my personal experience that once you start piling on the CFL's, they will put out heat like you wouldn't believe. You will still need to cool your grow room.

What do you pay per kilowatt hour in your area? I am planning on running a few light systems all at the same time, and I'm trying to keep the power consumption just as stealthy as the operation itself. At your calculations, my flowering chamber alone (300wHPS @ 12hrs) will be approximately $22.95/month. I want to keep a seedling chamber (46wCFl @ 24hrs), a cloning chamber (46wCFL + 50wLED @ 12hrs), and a veg chamber (96wT5 @ 18/6hrs) running simultaneously, but these dollar figures are a little dishearting. I may have to change my plans and go with one chamber at a time, putting clones into the flowering chamber.
Any feedback would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

High PotChimp, was just wondering was that question for me or for HempRocket?:hmmmm:

I've grown with CFL's before and I can tell you from my personal experience that once you start piling on the CFL's, they will put out heat like you wouldn't believe. You will still need to cool your grow room.

And that's why I've been leaning toward LED's, no real need to cool. They come with built in fans and if needed I could always add a small fan. Just seems a good way to go, if they can be afforded. And it's not like i'm trying to get the 300 watter or higher, the 180 would do me fine.

Nothing wrong with LED's go for it, just take your time to evaluate whats best fits your costs/needs.

They work fine.
Its the love, and the soil + ph, complete dark and in my case fuck all nutrients the plant has been growing for millions of years, with no problems..... Dont tamper with the DNA with chemicals...........

Nothing wrong with LED's go for it, just take your time to evaluate whats best fits your costs/needs.

They work fine.
Its the love, and the soil + ph, complete dark and in my case fuck all nutrients the plant has been growing for millions of years, with no problems..... Dont tamper with the DNA with chemicals...........

Thx for the response Wreathy,I've been researching the led market, there's quite a few companies selling them now, and I believe I've found a reliable company. I've also been following a few grows using this company's lights so I do know they work. Only thing I need to do is save the money up since the better led lights are costly because it's a new market. The love is definitely there, I grew under 150 watt hps once and knew from that moment this was what I was born to do. Much appreciated bro and thx again:party:

Back
Top Bottom