CFL Wiring

Drunon

Alright so, I'll be doing a stealth grow in a small cab 2'3'4'. I decided to use CFL's due to $$/electricity/heat. I'm going to growing SOG style so ill be using 32 * 23W CFL 2700k at 1800 Lumens. (I found 4 packs at menards for <$11) My question is whats the best way to wire all 32 lights up? I figured I could safely wire half into 1 wall socket. I was thinking that splicing wires would be dangerous. So then I was thinking using power strips would be safer. I know ive been told many times never to plug power strips into power strips. BUT if I stay within amperage of the socket output (16 lights = about 8Amps) would connecting power strips together still be dangerous?

Basically I wanted to use a power strip, then 1 more power strip on each outlet of the original, meaning 4 cfls to each original socket on the first strip. This would give me 4*4 sockets per wall socket without splicing wires.

So 420 members... is this the dumbest thing you've read on here in a while? Should I use less lights? Or am I right about just remaining within my safe output levels of current no matter how many power strips I use?

Thanks,
Drun

have you considered getting a T5HO 2x8 (2ft x 8 bulbs) setup instead? They put out 16,000 lumens, cost about $150, are already engineered and are low profile.

If you are dead set on doing it yourself, please read up on basic wiring skills. Electrical is the one area I don't give advice in (I am very competent with it, but don't want to be responsible for you killing yourself or burning down your house).

When it comes to any type of wiring that involves voltage over 12vdc, leave it to professionals, or advanced "hobbyists" IMHO.

Yea like usual, I didn't do enough research before posting haha... I had looked at lights at a local shop a while back, and the price tag was kind of shocking... but I just added up what it would cost for a DIY CFL lighting for 32 cfls... Its gonna be over $320 for all the adapters/lights/etc. So I'll prolly just buy some T5's now.... more professional and potentially cheaper, definitely easier...

Go figure...

Thanks,
Drun

I'll probably be making a trip back to the shop and just grab one of these and some bulbs... makes my day a lot more simple and cheaper too. I stated before that I'll pretty much always have my plants in flowering. Should I get some 6500k bulbs even though ill theoretically be in 12/12 all the time? like 2:6 or 1:7?

Drun

I've seen some people advocate going with two 2700k and six 6500k bulbs in them to round to the spectrum. My veg T5s are all 2700k. You could buy one with all 6500k and then buy two more 2700k (they're less than $10) and see if they like the added light, if not go all red.

If you go with couple of the 2700k, I'd go r-b-r-r-b-r.

It seems like the plants might benefit from a full spectrum. Now I am concerned with the amount of Lumens from a 2' fixture... I'll be getting maybe 40,000 Lumens on up to 40 plants that just doesn't seem like enough. I estimated that 420fied's 2*600W HPS were 72,000 Lumens each at around 100 Plants thats about 1500 Lumens per plant opposed to my 1000 Lumens per plant.

What do you think about that?

Drun

Lumen per sq ft is what you're looking for. You have a 2x3 footprint so 16,000/6sqft=2666 lumen per sqft. I've seen people recommend everywhere from 1500-10,000 per ft with 2500 as the basic consensus. How do you plan on squeezing 40 plants in there? If you are doing a SOG grow in 2 ltr bottles it would work.

Lumen per sq ft is what you're looking for. You have a 2x3 footprint so 16,000/6sqft=2666 lumen per sqft. I've seen people recommend everywhere from 1500-10,000 per ft with 2500 as the basic consensus. How do you plan on squeezing 40 plants in there? If you are doing a SOG grow in 2 ltr bottles it would work.

I know of a guy that had an ingenious plan that yeilded very well in a small box with CFLs. He put 27 20 ounce plastic bottles with clones. He basically made an assembly line. He got these 20 ounce drink holders from that back of 7-11. I cannot remember the exacts, but it was 27 20 ounce bottles that fit in the rack. 3 bottles deep times 9 long. I believe he put 3 new clones in as he took 3 finished plants out like every week or something like that. I need to find his thread. The plants where nothing but a single cola. The box was just big enough to accommodate the 27 clones. He used CFLs and even powered them from a battery (He lived in a cabin in the hills of Washington). It was a very good plan. He had pictures of everything and stood up to all the disbelievers. His numbers per month were amazing. I need to find that thread.

Ok Got a little impatient, I think I might go with the CFL's after all.

IMG_002522.JPG

The picture does not do the actual light justice (ipod camera lol) thats 4800 Lumens.

IMG_002618.JPG

These four lights are only pulling 1.3Amps. 97 Watts for 4800 Lumens.

I could safely hook up 40 of these without surpassing 15Amps for <1000W. Not that I would, the heat would be a little high. But I think I will go with the Power-strip/CFL combination. Oh I found 4 23W 2700k for 7.99 at the HD. 2$ a piece! Much cheaper than I originally thought.

I guess the end result would be something like this: 32 23W CFL's plus adapters = $128. about 51,200 Lumens for 700 Watts. Not horribly far from a lower end HPS. Obviously I'd have to do more tests especially for heat with more bulbs.

Drun

Alright so, I'll be doing a stealth grow in a small cab 2'3'4'. I decided to use CFL's due to $$/electricity/heat. I'm going to growing SOG style so ill be using 32 * 23W CFL

That's 736 watts! More heat and electricity than a 600-watt Lumatek ballast and good bulb which might produce 92,000 lumen. And you can stick the ballast outside of the grow.

But you'll be cheaper on the initial expense, I guess. A 600-watt Lumatek is going for around $154 (and you'd still have to purchase a bulb). Looks like 400s are about $120, but the best combination I see for them only look to produce 60,000 lumen and most are in the 50,000-55,000 range. Save a bit on electricity over 736 watts of CFLs and the cooling, though.

I'm watching with interest just the same. Thinking about building a small CFL setup for my brother for Christmas.

I'm watching with interest just the same. Thinking about building a small CFL setup for my brother for Christmas.

I realize its not the most efficient but I think it will be cheaper and I have always had trouble saving smaller amount of money lol. So being able to buy a few packs of lights here and there should be in my favor. Once I get a grow or two under my belt I will def. be looking to upgrade my set up for more professional lighting.

Drun

Back
Top Bottom