CFLGrow's Soil, White Widow, CFL Stealth Growbox Journal - 2010

Looks more like out of range ph rather than over/under feeding imo., possibly even too high temps hitting the leaves.... just throwing some ideas out there, go over the basics and you will sort it out, they aint dead so your doing something right ;)

Hey Crazy Horse! I definitely appreciate the input, and a new name to chat with :)

The temperatures have actually been held between 72 and 78 for the past while. Definitely over a month, at least. The pH is a distinct possibility... I'm only using a pH liquid colour test... I thought I was doing well with it, though! Haha.

I usually aim for somewhere between 6 and 6.5... and that kind of a range I'm pretty sure I'm hitting. Do you think anything in between those two would cause damage?

The areas that I feel I'm weakest at is the feeding/deficiencies. Because I can't tell deficiencies, I err on the side of a lean nutrient mix. I only hit full dosage this past week... I also only use a two-part solution (veg and bloom).

As a result, I was expecting to bump into deficiencies at some point - whether due to underfeeding them nutes, or maybe just not getting certain compounds in their feed.

I'm leaning towards Cal/Mg... a lot of people supplement with it, but I haven't touched it. I've also seen some strong similarities between the Cal/Mg deficiencies and my plants.

Hey buddy I water cured a lot of my last harvest. Read the last few pages of Woodsman's journal, we talk about it lot there, and he did some himself. If you have anymore questions just ask me here and I'll try my best to help.

Hopefully you've had a chance to review it, it's only a few pages but some very good discussion.

I'm a big fan of water cures, especially if mold is in the equation.

Pros -

1- your cure is completely over in a week or so

2- if you have any mold or bud rot, or conditions are such that you're worried about mold, this will kill any existing mold and prevent any more. I would not smoke or try to cure badly rotted buds, but it works great for everything else.

3- imo this will remove more impurities than a normal cure. I can smoke for a week or more and my screen doesn't even need to be cleaned, normally cured smoke I'd have had to clean my whole pipe by then... there's almost no tar at all... when you see the nasty shit that gets leached out the first couple of days it will blow your mind, no way I want to smoke that stuff

4- probably best of all, your smoke seems stronger. This is because so much of the veg matter has been removed... it's not stronger but more concentrated

The biggest minus is more of a plus for me since I'm not a commercial grower and I'm in constant stealth mode... water cured buds have very little taste or smell... it's there but quite faint. So it can lessen bag appeal, and if you're one who places high importance on the taste and smell it is lessened considerably.

The other potential minus is that once your buds are cured and dried, they're very dry. There's no residual moisture left in the buds... they're dry through and through. You'll lose some weight but again you're not losing any of the good stuff... I try and work around this a bit by jarring them before they're completely dry.

So in summary I'll always water cure at least part of each harvest, especially while I perfect my 'normal' curing skills. It's almost impossible to screw up, the results are great and it's done in a week to 10 days.... contrast that to a normal cure which can take weeks to months, and if you screw up you can lose your entire crop to mold.

Hope that helps.

That's interesting! I had never thought about that possibility. I read through the other journal, but it took 75 pages of skimming :) Haha.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it... definitely going to try some of my weed water cured. Here's a random thought... and you can tell me whether you think it has value. If I were to add a non-chemical aromatic... say orange and lemon peels, or maybe some mint leaves... do you think the final product would pull in some of that taste? I'm assuming that you change the water several times during a cure... if I were to replace the 'flavours' each time, maybe it would finish with an aroma?

Secondly, I've been contemplating where to dry my buds. I had been thinking inside all this time, but then I realized that I have a lockable shed outside. Do subzero temperatures affect bud drying? I know that having it warm will speed the drying along... but I find it unlikely that mold would form if it's -10º (10 below freezing, for the Americans who use Fahrenheit). Even if it takes longer, could I dry my bud outdoors? Or would the freezing damage the bud?

I don't think freezing your buds would be a good idea at all. Worst case can you immediately trim them all so you just have buds and dry them in paper bags in a closet or drawer?

Remember, drying and curing is almost as important as growing. If you screw it up you can ruin all your hard work.

I'm long overdue for a photo update, so here are a few shots of the plants! I'll be getting a clone update soon (maybe today) as well, so stay tuned :)

As you can see, the widows are looking pretty straggly and thin. Any thoughts? For now I'm just telling myself they have a longer harvest time, so don't worry about it... but I'm not so sure.

IMG_13398.jpg

IMG_13406.jpg

IMG_13416.jpg

IMG_13437.jpg

IMG_13424.jpg

IMG_13448.jpg

IMG_13455.jpg

IMG_13466.jpg

IMG_13476.jpg

PS I don't know about the flavors either, but I don't see how it could hurt anything. I wouldn't use anything until the water started getting clear, you just want distilled water at first to leach out everything.

Hey BlueDog!

I suppose I'll inform you of the drama that has unfolded, and where things are now :) On new year's day, the landlord paid a surprise visit to the house. While the grow room was nicely locked, sealed up and hidden, a bong was left out... and thus began the inquisition. Haha. So he scheduled a full inspection of the premises for one week away... leaving me seven days to fully dismantle the grow room and find a new home for my plants.

My three master kush are coming along well... I've had friends estimate about 400 grams, which would blow my mind, as I have a 400W HPS over them. They're still happy and thriving. The white widow however, are a different story. They had hundreds of flowers forming, all without any weight. Each 'bud' was a batch of white hairs, and those buds never grew. They were in week 5 of flower when I had to decide what to do with them, and those flowers hadn't changed size/mass/density in the last three weeks.

Regardless of what was wrong with them, I realized that they weren't worth the hassle. I needed my plants taken care of, and that's not the time to be trying to coax a few grams out of plants. So the widows were cut down.

I now have 43 clones (18 master kush, 25 white widows) under MH, and 3 master kush under HPS. I'm expecting their harvest date to be around the third or fourth week of January.

Hey buddy I see why we haven't heard from you in a while.... I hate it when that happens lol. I don't even own a bong for just that reason, I'd forget it was just sitting there. At least it's harder to spot a pipe.

That's odd about your WW's, are they from Nirvana? Hope the clones are better and that you do get 400g's.... that would be quite the harvest. Good luck!

Well everyone, I'm sorry that I've neglected my journal this past couple of weeks... but since moving the grow elsewhere, I've had other priorities :)

We're now about three or four days away from harvest. I've been flushing for four days now. I'm continually revising my guesses as to how much I'll pull off the three plants... I've never harvested before, so my guesses are pretty random :p I'm leaning more towards half a pound at best, now.

But in other news, I have a little surprise for all of y'all. I made a grow calendar to document feed schedules, observations, etc. I figured it might help someone out on their first grow if they ran into similar issues, so I'll post it for your enjoyment :)

(Update: I have no idea how to post a *.doc file... and converting it to a jpeg and posting results in it being too fuzzy to read. Any suggestions?)

Alright! I know this update is well overdue... but the weed has been harvested, weighed, and smoked (emphasis on smoked! Haha. We've been living high for a couple weeks now :p)

The overall weight was just under half a pound, which was a tad disappointing... but still good for a first grow!

Secondly... I need to post pictures when I find a camera that can do macros.

To say this pot is unbelievable is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Haha. Absolutely covered in crystal, thick burgundy hairs, and an unbelievable smoke. I'll smoke the tiniest bit to get high, and I'll be happy as can be for quite a while. Peaceful, giddy, relaxed, content :)

Then there's the fact that I can smoke it from dawn 'til dusk, and never get a headache or 'weed hangover'. I love this stuff!

Oh - and for those who are still subscribed, I have two grows running concurrently in my new journal... a grow of 18 master kush and 25 white widows, all being flowered currently at my buddy's place.

I started a new one in my grow room, too - 5 master kush, 40 AK-47, and 15 ReCon (LA Confidential hybrid). So tune in over there!

I think this marks the end of my journal :) Thanks all for tuning in, helping out and encouraging me!

Back
Top Bottom