CFLs and Fluorescents - Dirty Energy

atlashomeric

Alright, now I now this may have been discussed already somewhere on this site, but I can't find it, and it's worth mentioning again if it is. CFL bulbs and Fluorescent lighting in general is now speculated to cause specific problems in human and possibly plant species. With the majority of the study being on humans, and since we're all human... right. This phenomenon is known as Dirty Energy. Researchers have found that Fluorescent and Compact Fluorescent lighting could very well be responsible for the flare-ups of some major diseases and health issues i.e. Diabetes, Crohn's disease, migraines, etc. The science behind it makes good sense, the rF emitted by these lights is not jiving with human, and recently studied, certain plants' resident frequencies. Here's an article giving a little more breakdown on the subject.

Dirty Energy | Making Sense of CFL
“Our goal should be to create a world with abundant, clean and cheap energy for all. This is an objective that reconciles progress and planet. It’s a challenge that can bring rich and poor countries together in a common goal. If we are to address climate change, we must turn to humanity’s familiar benefactor, technological innovation, and apply it to developing better clean energy.” - Alex Trembath

Consider the hidden benefits of LED lighting over the traditional incandescent, fluorescent and HID lighting methods.

In an era of “green”, energy efficient and environmentally friendly lighting, the LED lights such as LED Bike Lights, LED Flashlights, LED Headlamps, LED room/flood lights and Off Road LED Lights are far superior in obvious ways. LED light advantages include greater efficiency (approximately 1/5th the power consumed compared to a comparable incandescent bulb of same light output) improved LED life of up to 50,000 hours, little to no radiated heat and they will light in any temperature (fluorescents “flutter” with a low light output in cold temperatures).

LED lighting also has a definite advantage on the environmental impact scale. There is no glass to break and no mercury to pollute the environment, such as contained in fluorescent and CFL bulbs.

The hidden benefit of the LED is the “clean” light it gives off compared to traditional lighting. Recent and ongoing studies have proven that the CFL bulb emits a “dirty” light output consisting of high levels of UV and RF frequencies. This “dirty” light output is shown to cause skin disorders on sensitive skin patients, migraine headaches, sleeping problems, etc., increasing in patient numbers as more and more CFLs are sold due to government restrictions on incandescent light bulbs. CFL “dirty” output levels are 90 times higher (450-500) than in LEDs (5-10) and 22 times higher than in incandescents (20-25).

A level of “50” is considered a safe level.

So before you rush out to buy a basket full of “energy saving” light bulb replacements in hope of cutting electricity costs, consider the downside to CFL and other Fluorescent lighting sources – health issues resulting from harmful RF waves. Deciphering which lights are truly causing a negative health impact needs to be tested using specific equipment, not including Lumen Testing measurements, but actual RF levels.

These kinds of improvements in lighting can be used for a plethora of health related applications including hospital and wellness center implementation. But the real benefits will be seen in residential applications, and energy costs can be reduced even more by switching to LEDs

Source: Dirty Energy | Making Sense of CFL

Take a look, do some research into the subject, and form your own opinion. But the way I see it is, this site and almost all of it's members are proponents of using M.M. to treat a lot of the issues that fluorescent type lighting might be propagating. Especially since a good majority of us seem to use this type of lighting for specific growth stages of our plants–-inherently exposing our bodies to it.

I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this subject. Especially someone who is educated in the subject of lighting, physiology, botany, etc.

All the best,

A

Re: CFLs and Fluorescents | Dirty Energy

how far away should you keep a 20W CFL tube light away from a 3 week old seedling ? my plant looks like its getting bushier but it isnt growing in height at all . its probily 3 inches and i keep the light about 2 inches above it so it can hopefully strech for light . i water only when the soil is dry and keep the light on for 24 hrs until im ready to switch to the 12/12 cycle . plant looks nice and green and when i rub my finger against the stem it smells really dank . any advice on what i should do to make it grow a little taller ? or will it grow eventually ? i posted a few pictures below so some feedback would be nice

get-attachment_1_.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

:tokin:

i'm too dumb to show you mine but its bushier yet at about 5 nodes and 1 inch from the bottom node to the top one. its my first grow and i'm experimenting, with miracle grow and organic bone meal 7-7-0. i'm running 4-23w(100w) 2700k and 4-45w(200w) 4100k bulbs for a total of 92w(400w) 2700k and 180w(800w) 4100 under a reflective hood with the lights 6 inches from the top of my plants. after i the 5th node started to grow, i got alot of under growth at the nodes starting to develop so i raised my lights another 3 inches hoping for some reach on top. after doing some more research i found some info that suggests i should be using 6500k to target a lower peak light spectrum. anyone with some experience in this area??? or how about a how to upload a picture or a link where to find out? i'm dumb on computers.

Do you honestly think that an LED supplier is the correct or creditable source for this type of information???

It's as bad as when LED first come out one of the LED manufactures claimed that HID caused cancer... Did a HUGE write up on it, but oddly enough the pages I have bookmarked are "Page Not Found"...

Ummmmm, if it was such great information, why is the page no longer available, and I searched their whole site thinking that maybe it was moved... Nope, just taken off and most likely due to threats of being sued for the misleading slander..

So for you to link to a LED supplier's site and claim it's creditable source of said information is (IMHO) almost laughable....

Then in their post on February 22, 2012

Ya, that sounds like a professional company which I want to place my faith in the information which they supply to be honest and creditable..... IMHO sounds like a bunch of 20yr olds running the place..

LEDs make great Christmas lights, but not Grow Lights....

Totally...

The problem with CFLs can be quickly neutralized by wearing a hat made of aluminum foil (on your head, naturally) 24 hours a day. It worked in "Signs", right?

Back
Top Bottom