Changing light schedule

TDM

420 Member
Hello all, I'm currently growing in a 4x4 tent, I'm close to being 3 weeks in and the Temps in the tent have been around low 80's for the highs during the day, night time low to mid 70's. Some of the days it gets in the mid to upper 80's. The plants have so far been doing very well but I'm starting to notice a little heat stress in the leaves, and I'm expecting the high day Temps to remain as they have been for another month atleast. I'd like to change my light schedual so they are on at night and off in the day, to help keep the lights on Temps a little cooler, Right now they come on at 5 am and off at 11 pm, I'd like to change it to on at 8 pm and off at 2 pm. How should I go about the change, would a instant change in the schedual be ok without stressing the plants or should I do it gradual? Thanks.

Hello all, I'm currently growing in a 4x4 tent, I'm close to being 3 weeks in and the Temps in the tent have been around low 80's for the highs during the day, night time low to mid 70's. Some of the days it gets in the mid to upper 80's. The plants have so far been doing very well but I'm starting to notice a little heat stress in the leaves, and I'm expecting the high day Temps to remain as they have been for another month atleast. I'd like to change my light schedual so they are on at night and off in the day, to help keep the lights on Temps a little cooler, Right now they come on at 5 am and off at 11 pm, I'd like to change it to on at 8 pm and off at 2 pm. How should I go about the change, would a instant change in the schedual be ok without stressing the plants or should I do it gradual? Thanks.
before you do all this....do you have fans in the tent?

I had to do the same thing.
I started turning them on and hour late and let them run an extra hour.
It will take a little while doing it this way but your girls shouldn't get stressed out and hermie.
Mine start at 2p.m. and go until 8am.
Just go slow and a
I will work out.
Did I hear you say that you have a intake and an exhaust fan?
Nothing counts unless you have fresh air going in and got air coming out.
Air flow is key for a good growing environment.
Good luck and welcome.

WICK :morenutes:

Im not sure if it would hurt them. It may take them a few days to adjust to it. Even if you take an hour each day and move it to your new schedule. Let some other growers chime in too.

what's up Mr Peckwood, did you enter the contest?

I had to do the same thing.
I started turning them on and hour late and let them run an extra hour.
It will take a little while doing it this way but your girls shouldn't get stressed out and hermie.
Mine start at 2p.m. and go until 8am.
Just go slow and a
I will work out.
Did I hear you say that you have a intake and an exhaust fan?
Nothing counts unless you have fresh air going in and got air coming out.
Air flow is key for a good growing environment.
Good luck and welcome.

WICK :morenutes:

I have an appropriate sized to the tent exhaust fan with carbon filter that I get negative pressure on the tent (sides being sucked in) no intake fan though, just what it naturally sucks in. I do have a good amount of air coming out of the exhaust though so I expect that there is a good amount of air exchange going on. An intake fan may benefit over all but it's the room temp that needs to change so an intake fan wouldn't do too much for the Temps.

My biggest problem is location, the tent is in my bedroom and my room gets warm during the day. The best solution would be to add an ac but I already run a window ac in my living room and I keep my bedroom closed off so my dog can't mess with the tent, he loves that organic fert smell :) and i wouldnt trust him not to rip it apart to get inside when im at work. a separate ac would be too much on the electric bill. The daytime Temps outdoors are generally mid to upper 80's so that doesn't help.

You mentioned hermie, can a plant stressed in veg still become a hermi?

I'll do as you said, and try it gradually.

Thank you.

Cool, but you'll still need a 6" or whatever inline fan to push clean air in during "light's out" time so the don't hermie.
passive air from vents are okay to be open when the light's are on but you still need intake air flow when lights are out and cents should be closed so they don't hermie.

I went to the hardware store and picked up the same size vent as in my central hearing system used and ran the exhaust system down though and down into the heater vent.
you can do this in the summer when the heater is off. I'm the winter run the exhaust out your door of your room to keep the heat in your room down.
let me know if you have any questions.
good luck. :thumb:

Would it help if you had your door open during the day? If so, maybe pick up a baby gate from a thrift store. That would keep the pup out of your room, and also allow air to move around. Add a fan to swish it around a bit, and maybe that helps too.

Thanks for all the replys and advice, I should have mentioned they are photos and are still vegging. Spending some time trying to figure out how to better the environment I've decided I'll just move my ac into my bedroom since I feel a greater importance on the girls than keeping cool, plus I'll sleep a lot better having a cooler bedroom. I'm getting close to beginning my scrog and I'll need to add additional lighting so there's pretty much no other choice without buying another ac unit which is not in my budget right now.

Thanks for all the replys and advice, I should have mentioned they are photos and are still vegging. Spending some time trying to figure out how to better the environment I've decided I'll just move my ac into my bedroom since I feel a greater importance on the girls than keeping cool, plus I'll sleep a lot better having a cooler bedroom. I'm getting close to beginning my scrog and I'll need to add additional lighting so there's pretty much no other choice without buying another ac unit which is not in my budget right now.

Good idea !

But you will still need a online fan and plumbing to push fresh air into your tent during the light's out time.
You maybe could get away with using one online fan it you put it on the intake duct and just use duct out the top without a fan.
This idea would keep the light out of the tent during the light's out time while moving air flow and staying within your budget.
I grow on a extremely limited budget too and it took me over a year to afford my set up. I understand.

Back
Top Bottom