Soil or Hydro? hydro/ rdwc
What size pot? hydro, 8 gallon pots
Size of light? vegging under 600 w led with cobs. veg only about 3 ft high
Is it aircooled? just exhaust fan
Temp of Room/cab? mid 70's to low 80's
RH of Room/cab? mid 40's to mid 50's
PH of media or res? I let it float from 5.5-6.5 but currently at 6.4
Any Pests ? not yet!
Type and strength of ferts used? going to be using supernatural brand bloom nutrients at 1/4 strength and watermax at 2ml per gallon. I will be using the Humboldt county bloom booster later on.

materials:
4 pot rdwc system, 8 gallon buckets, but only using 2 for this grow
top of reservoir- 20 gallon
water chiller- 1/4 hp set at 66-69 f
Bluelab guardian monitor
6inch exhaust fan
Lights - (1) 600 w led on veg only for now, will be upgrading to the new spyder 2i when it gets released (hopefully soon). otherwise adding another cheap 600w equivalent later on.
Nutrients - supernatural bloom formula 11-8-18, Humboldt county sonic bloom 0-51-34, and watermax as a root zone optimizer
Strain- green crack
# of Plants: 2
ph- 6.3
ppm-190
system temp-66-69 f

Okay, so I've decided to create a grow journal in hopes to get some help along the way. this is my first time working with hydro and decided to just jump right into it with a full rdwc system. Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated as I am new to this, I have used soil a couple times before but can imagine this is a lot different. I've done a lot of reading but that only gets me so far. with that said, lets get to it.

To start from the beginning, I placed 2 seeds into a cup of water for about 14 hours and waited for them to sink. I then placed them into paper towel and waited about 2 days for the tap root to show. They were then planted tap root down into pre soaked rockwool cubes @ ph 6.7 and placed into a germination tray under 2 - 25 watt cfl lights. One of the two had a curvy tap root and I didn't want to break it off when I planted it so I planted it upright, if that makes sense... that one is about one day behind the other.

after they sprouted I took the lid off the tray and when the roots started to outgrow the cube, I transplanted them into 4 inch presoaked rockwool cubes. Still watering with regular tap water and placed under the cfl in the tray. after a couple days the roots started showing out the bottom of the cube, I let them grow long enough before placing them into the system.

I placed them into net pots with a raised 2 inch planting deck that I leveled off with hydroton and worked the roots through the net basket. after a few days the roots grew long enough to start touching the water. Once I placed them into the system I considered that day 1 of veg, so about 14 days seedling? not sure if that sounds right.
20180913_174543.jpg

20180913_175035.jpg
20180913_174722.jpg
20180913_174821.jpg
20180913_174912.jpg

Update.

They seem to be growing pretty slow... They were both showing signs of heat stress so I bumped my light up to 48 inches above canopy.

I'm thinking they are getting hungry for a little more nutes, not to sure though. I want to up the ppm to about 300-350 but Im not sure that's the right thing to do though. Currently they are sitting at 160-170 ppm, ph 6.3.

Temps are between 73-83 and r.h is between 43-57. Light is at 48 inches, there are 2 clip on fans and my 6 in exhaust is on circulating the air. Water temp is 66-69 and the level is is about 1/2 to 1 inch below the 2 inch planting deck. Roots look white and healthy so far?

I'm not sure why they seem like they are growing so slow.. Any help is welcomed and appreciated.

Nice set up. Green crack is going on my next seed order so I’m going to watch this if that’s ok. I started with dwc a couple of years ago and love it.

Good day Chappie, nice setup you have. I'm right at the finishing stage of my first RDWC grow and I'm sold on hydro grows now. Its the best grow I had. A CKS Crown Royale grow and the way it looks I will hit 150 grams of dried buds easily depsite the few screw ups I had.

I noticed with my grow the slow start up also. I didnt start counting as in veg until the roots hit the solution. Looking over my notes at the two week point I was at 620 PPM with a 1100 EC and PH 6.1. At the end of the third week I was at 1020 PPM and 2K EC. At this point I did a full flush. Drained it, refilled it with plain water and some Sledgehammer flushing solution, ran if for about an hour and a half and flushed it again at which point I went back with 3/4 strength nutes.

As I said, I am pretty much a novice with RDWC growing but thats what worked for me. Good luck with your grow and Im gonna pull up a chair and watch your girls grow :)

Welcome chopdoc.

Sounds like you have a successful grow. I can only hope to make it to harvest lol.

So if you say the roots touching the res is considered day 1 veg, I suppose I'm about day 7 give out take a couple days..

Today I I added 1/2 tsp bloom aqua per gallon and that raised the ppm to about 420 lol and I Ph to 6.0, also added watermax 2ml per gallon.

I am still struggling with high heat during the day and one of the 2 are showing more signs of heat stress. The second one is getting better and more resistant as she grows.

Hopefully they handle the nutrients well!

20180916_165455.jpg

20180916_165544.jpg

20180916_165949.jpg

Also attached is my weekly log.

With your temps Chappie, I wouldnt sweat it. There is a lot of variables there but the main one is how are you taking your readings. Heat rises so if your temp device is high in the tent it will read a higher temp than the level of the plant itself. But there is a few easy things you can do to help. My set up I have a six in fan sucking out from the top and a 4 inch fan blowing in from the bottom. I run my lights at night too. In the sunny south it works for me. Seldom do I see above 85 with the temp device even with the lights.

For 7 days or even 14 days your grow is looking good. If it was me I would already have topped her and started training. Your gonna see her growing fast now the roots are in your nutrient solution.

With your temps Chappie, I wouldnt sweat it. There is a lot of variables there but the main one is how are you taking your readings. Heat rises so if your temp device is high in the tent it will read a higher temp than the level of the plant itself. But there is a few easy things you can do to help. My set up I have a six in fan sucking out from the top and a 4 inch fan blowing in from the bottom. I run my lights at night too. In the sunny south it works for me. Seldom do I see above 85 with the temp device even with the lights.

For 7 days or even 14 days your grow is looking good. If it was me I would already have topped her and started training. Your gonna see her growing fast now the roots are in your nutrient solution.

I like the idea of having a fan blowing air into the bottom, I will most likely add a desktop fan to blow cool air in. Thanks chopdoc, im sure I will be topping within the next couple days. from what it looks like so far, they might be bushy girls.

Back later. Cbeers

I’m an exclusive dwc grower I’ll be looking in on this grow. And nice setup.
Thanks Ice! Glad to have you along for the grow. more knowledge is always welcomed, god knows i'm gonna need it hah

Put a mark about 1 inch below your net pot. That will be your max fill line for your solution/water.
Yeah, I definitely had the water level way to high... now they can breathe a little easier, and so can I haha

I hope you are right! Im not to sure, this will be my first scrog and im not sure how much of the screen I will have to fill out before I flip. Any recommendations?
You’ve got the same style scrog net as me which I think makes life easy as you can adjust the height. With my current grow I allowed my plants to stretch for the first 2 weeks then lowered the net down spreading the plant out.

Back
Top Bottom