Charcoal filters - How good are they?

JimmyJames905

I recently tried to use my 12+ year old filter only to find the fan is fried and the charcoal is possibly depleted. (Update...purchased in 1994 and uses "scent crystals" not activated charcoal)
So on to eBay I went and purchased a 4" inline fan with 4"x20" charcoal canister.
The canister is filled with a mix of charcoal and coconut fibre.

My question is...how good are these modern filters?

My old one was 10x the size (5 feet tall) and used a 1/4 hp squirrel cage fan. It also cost close to $1000. The new one is significantly smaller and was only $150 so I'm wondering if this will be good enough for my 24"x48"veg tent?

420-magazine-mobile827266428.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1903449702.jpg

Just check the m3/h needed to pull as the fan my filter came with only pulled 220m3/h and my filter needed atleast 440m3/h to actually work so check the inline fan as I've had to replace 3 times first one fell apart in an hour and probs didn't even suck 100m3/h the second was the 220m3/h. Then finals my new one that pulls 550m3/h and works so good .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Charcoal filters. How good are they.

It's boasts 189 Cfm. That's cubic feet per minute. Translated to metric that comes out to 322.8 m3/h. For a tent that is 90 cubic feet. Which means this fan will recirculate all air in this tent every 30 seconds?

That doesn't sound right. Either my old 5 footer was extremely inefficient or this little thing is a) lying or b) very efficient.

420-magazine-mobile726184368.jpg

Looking at my old 5 foot filter I'm thinking it was an inefficient design. It's filled with polyester batting and old school "scent crystals". Pretty sure activated charcoal/coco will do a much better job.
420-magazine-mobile71298621.jpg

It' seems
A bit high for a 4inch but I could be wrong and mine were inline intake fans not inline extractor like yours above that one actually looks decent , and the carbon charcoal ones are good I believe mine is charcoal carbon mix it's a mini rhino 6 inch hobby filter and eliminates all smell reall well

Hooked up and running 15 minutes now. I can still smell weed.
0a0a68216c91300c4cddf2f01f38c46a.jpg

Great quality though. Heavy as hell.

No effect with sucking air in and blowing out filter. I'm reversing it so it sucks through the filter and exhausts out the port.

The "chinglish" instructions stating "Arrang filter in direction which is parallel to flow which is good." (Actual spelling/grammar) wasn't very clear.
Lol.

No effect with sucking air in and blowing out filter. I'm reversing it so it sucks through the filter and exhausts out the port.

The "chinglish" instructions stating "Arrang filter in direction which is parallel to flow which is good." (Actual spelling/grammar) wasn't very clear.
Lol.

Lol, you just had it a little backwards...it has to suck the smell into the can. That is why there is a filter outside of the shiny can to catch nasty shit in the air (keep it clean).

happy growing

The old one was backwards. It had a range hood to the giant bag filter. But I guess things have changed since the 19th century. Lol.

I run exact fan and filter you have in a 3x3.

I pull through filter and push out my old furnace exhaust.

I can't smell until I open the tent and I run on low/medium.

Do you run it 24/7 on low?
I've got a 2x4 I was gonna pop it in when these clones are ready. Maybe I'll put the Purple Kush plants in there for the finish.

Sweet. Just moved everything to the tent. Mounted the filter inside the tent to the wall with a sound cushion.
I'll be set up today!
Off to the Doctors. Hopefully they'll move me up to 20 plants.
I'm dying to do a 15 plant 10 week micro Grow in that little 2x4.

I'm curious how this fan/filter combo is working for you? I'm looking at buying one for my 3x3 tent. Figured it'd be best to get some real review instead of the garbage questions/reviews on Amazon. "how do you connect the filter to the fan??" "Will this filter work standing up" "what color is in inside of the fan and filter?" "Will this filter make me fart purple and my bud taste like rainbow sherbet? "

I'd like some input from an actual grower and not some 12 year old keyboard warrior.

Thanks .

Oh ya, and did they bump you up to 20 plants?? I hope they did!! I'm lucky enough where I live it's legal for anyone 21+ to grow 6. Well, 6 per adult in a household, up to 24 total if I'm correct. Which I may very well not be....

Oh ya, and did they bump you up to 20 plants?? I hope they did!! I'm lucky enough where I live it's legal for anyone 21+ to grow 6. Well, 6 per adult in a household, up to 24 total if I'm correct. Which I may very well not be....

Fan works great. Almost no smell. No smell at all outside where the fan is exhausted. I only put the filter part on 3 weeks ago when there was a very strong smell outside. Since then I'm very happy.
And yes they moved me up to 20 plants....my doctor says he can move me up to 30-50 by summer.

Back
Top Bottom