Charlotte's Web Medical Cannabis Soon To Be Widely Available To Colorado Children

The General

It's a strain of cannabis thousands are waiting to buy for their children, in hopes it will heal them. Those producing "Charlotte's Web" say the wait will soon be over for nearly a thousand Coloradans. Some children battling epilepsy have seen a drastic turnaround and reduction of seizures after using Charlotte's Web, an oil made from marijuana plants very low in THC and high in a chemical called cannabidiol, or CBD.

7NEWS got an exclusive tour of the new facility in eastern Colorado where the five brothers who pioneered the medicine have recently expanded their growing operation. Because Charlotte's Web is less than .03 percent THC, they're now able to classify the plants with the state as hemp instead of medical marijuana and grow at a much larger scale. It also opens up the possibility of exporting Charlotte's Web.

"This will be the future of Charlotte's Web," said Jared Stanley. "Same plant, same quality control, same medicine." Stanley and his brothers haven't been able to grow their plants quickly enough. "Our national and international wait list climbs by 100, 200 every day," he said. "It's currently around 7,000 to 8,000." There are currently about 1,000 Coloradans on that list and Stanley said the new facility should get Charlotte's Web to those families by the fall. The hope is that growing the medicine as hemp will eventually take care of the entire waiting list.

7NEWS checked in with the medicine's first patient and namesake, Charlotte Figi, a 7-year-old from Black Forest whose mother says she was close to death due to Dravet Syndrome, a devastating form of pediatric epilepsy. "We had reached the end of the line for medical options," said Paige Figi. "The quality of life was none. I mean, we were at the point that we were hoping she would die peacefully in her sleep because it was so much suffering. She wasn't there. Charlotte wasn't there anymore."

Figi's husband had heard about the healing qualities of cannabidiol, and though Figi says she doubted it would work, she found the Stanley brothers, who were already experimenting with it. Figi said at that time, more than two years ago, Charlotte couldn't walk, talk or eat, and was having about 1,200 seizures a month. She said after taking a few drops of Charlotte's Web every day, her daughter saw astounding improvement. Today, she said Charlotte is down to four or fewer nocturnal seizures a month, and can walk, play and speak.

"It's been amazing to hear her talking and interacting with me," Figi said. "I can't even put into words what that means to me." There have been many more success stories and about 250 families who've re-located to Colorado from other states, just so their kids can have access to the medicine. Amy Brooks-Kayal, the chief of Pediatric Neurology at Children's Hospital Colorado, said Charlotte's Web comes up in conversations every day at her clinic, but she has big concerns about the lack of research.

"You really need good studies to understand what the risks associated might be-- either short-term risks in term of effects on liver or blood count, and longer term risks in terms of memory and learning, which we know marijuana products can affect," said Brooks-Kayal. And she said there's another big issue, not mentioned in most media reports. She said of the 60 child patients at her hospital to try the medicine, only about a fourth have seen improvement. "We've seen many children that haven't had any effect from Charlotte's Web or any other marijuana derivatives on their seizures. And some children have seen a worsening effect, severe enough to require them to be hospitalized," she said.

Stanley acknowledges the treatment doesn't work for everyone, but said those numbers are misleading because hospitals are more likely to see patients who don't have success. "Is there more to know? Absolutely. Are a group of brothers growing it in a field going to figure it all out? No, but a community around that will," Stanley said. "Is it OK to know that there's something we don't quite understand about why this is working? I hope that's OK." He said he believes he and his brothers have only scratched the surface of what marijuana can do to treat sickness, and showed 7News new strains they've started breeding.

"The results came back astounding," he said. The long-term research on medical marijuana doctors and neurologists want to see doesn't exist primarily because marijuana has long been illegal at the federal level. But last week, Colorado legislators approved a bill that will provide up to $10 million to study the health impacts of medical cannabis. That money comes from fees and will eventually provide unprecedented research. Parents and supporters of Charlotte's Web have created a non-profit called Realm of Caring to work with families. Click here for more information.

charlotte_figi31.png

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Thedenverchannel.com
Author: Lindsay Watts
Contact: 7NEWS Denver | Contact our team or submit news tips | The Denver Channel | KMGH-TV
Website: Charlotte?s Web medical cannabis soon to be widely available to Colorado children - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

"But last week, Colorado legislators approved a bill that will provide up to $10 million to study the health impacts of medical cannabis."

I guess that's a good thing, but what about all the cannabis research that the u.s. "federal" government has already done over the past nearly 50 years, paid for with our tax dollars. They've been at it since the late 1960's that we know of for sure, and who knows how long the government has actually been studying and stifling the medical properties of cannabis. It was already an established medicine for many years before being made illegal in 1937. These stinking crooks already have patents on cannabinoids. Just WTF do they know?

All too frequently news comes out that the u.s. government knew of and kept secret for years a particular benefit cannabis provides for the treatment and CURE of many diseases, conditions and other ailments.

Seems that a handful of FOIA requests are in order to find out just what our corrupted u.s. government actually knows about cannabis and it's medical potential. That information belongs to the American public and we deserve to have it. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting with the facility in Mississippi. "Government runs nation's only legal pot garden" Government runs nation's only legal pot garden - CNN.com Here's an excerpt from that page.

"We are in the Coy W. Waller Laboratory Complex on the campus of the University of Mississippi, getting a look at the only legal marijuana farm and production facility in the United States. This is the government's "cannabis drug repository."

This is the government's stash.

Since 1968, the National Institute on Drug Abuse has contracted with the university lab to grow, harvest and process marijuana and to ship it to licensed facilities across the country for research purposes. The lab also collects samples of marijuana seized by police to determine its potency and to document national drug trends."

Colorado may not need to piss away that $10 million to find out something that is documented in some hidden government archives and should be available to everyone already.

Sorry for the rant but I've had enough of their lies and deception. How about you?

EDIT: I got to thinking about it and putting up a link to cnn may be counterproductive since they are so full of bullshit and propaganda, but after 4 other ixquick links it's the first link I went to that had any indepth info about the facility in Mississippi. I took the other "facts" printed in the story with a grain of salt, so to speak.

Got rid of cable about 5 years ago and stopped watching tv (the idiot box) all together a couple years ago, except for the local news to get the weather report and local info. Get my world news from the internet and since doing internet research since 2005, I know how bad those cable news networks have gotten. Just thought I'd point this out for yas.

From what I have read about research on MMJ is that the feds would only fund studies about the BAD things pot could do.It seemed that NO federal studies have been done on MMJ for any positive affects... Please tell me if I'm wrong.... I am happy that Colorado is spending big $$ on studies for positive things about weed...Its about time.....As I have said before seizures are ugly,and anything that will stop or even lower them is worth MILLIONS !!! This is only going to get better..God Bless the Stanley brothers and there efforts.Its nice to read some good news for a change !! Red

Woo-Hoo! This is fabulous news! I sure hope this speeds up the process for getting this medicine out of Colorado by leaps and bounds. I am on that waiting list and time is of the essence for so many. I'm with Red, God Bless the Stanley brothers and bravo to Colorado for continuing to push the envelope to the benefit of us all.

Back
Top Bottom