Cheap Soil That Gets The Job Done?

sfsgosu

Hey hows everyone doin? Plan on doing an outdoor grow this summer (first grow ever so im excited :D )

I was wondering what the most basic and cheap soil or mix is? Could I just use those cheap bags of regular potting soil from the hardware store? I realize that theres a reason people spend extra money on the really good soils n stuff but this is my first grow so i just wanna go as simple as possible because i dont have too much money for this. I guess what im asking is, what is the cheapest soil for out door growing thatll get the job done?

And I apologize if this question has been asked or answered before, i tried searching for it and didnt really find what i was looking for.

Thanks.

Probably the Black Gold line would be the best from a hardware store. They've changed to some time release pellets in it now but it still works pretty well.

and that would work? maybe not as well as something expensive but it would still be alright for the plants from seed to harvest? and what about something even cheaper, like scotts potting soil?

like this one?
1663804790656.png

Thats the one. I dont know I mean I have found that any soil works some works better. I know the hp well. I ve been growing comercially for 18 years and can say honestly everyone i know who grows soil uses the hp. Im sure the bx would work I dont know how well it drains however.

Hey hows everyone doin? Plan on doing an outdoor grow this summer (first grow ever so im excited :D )

I was wondering what the most basic and cheap soil or mix is? Could I just use those cheap bags of regular potting soil from the hardware store? I realize that theres a reason people spend extra money on the really good soils n stuff but this is my first grow so i just wanna go as simple as possible because i dont have too much money for this. I guess what im asking is, what is the cheapest soil for out door growing thatll get the job done?

And I apologize if this question has been asked or answered before, i tried searching for it and didnt really find what i was looking for.

Thanks.

An alternative...

Most areas have both government and private composting operations. It's far from organic, but the cost is right, about $7/cubic yard (27cf). Virtually every landscaper in my county and a majority of weed growers use either the county compost facility or the sole private operator products for in-ground planting, the difference being the county using sewage in its compost.

If you're planting in decent natural soil it won't require much amending. If you have a clay based soil prepare to shell out some bucks to fill your 3'x3'x3' holes (27cf) using bagged soil substitutes.

A bale of Pro-mix provides 7-8cf when unpacked and expanded. At ~$35/bale, with perlite, you'll have well over $100/hole in initial costs before necessary nutrients. That, like the even more expensive Fox Farms soil substitutes, is fine for boutique growers with a few plants or growing in pots as nurseries do (a ten-gallon pot is only 1.3cf), but tough on the wallet for an in-ground grow of any size in marginal native soil.

Using bulk compost at ~$7cy, 30% perlite (~$18/4cf) and 20% decomposed manure (~$15/yd) will do the job and save you a lot of going in money.

An alternative...

Most areas have both government and private composting operations. It's far from organic, but the cost is right, about $7/cubic yard (27cf). Virtually every landscaper in my county and a majority of weed growers use either the county compost facility or the sole private operator products for in-ground planting, the difference being the county using sewage in its compost.

If you're planting in decent natural soil it won't require much amending. If you have a clay based soil prepare to shell out some bucks to fill your 3'x3'x3' holes (27cf) using bagged soil substitutes.

A bale of Pro-mix provides 7-8cf when unpacked and expanded. At ~$35/bale, with perlite, you'll have well over $100/hole in initial costs before necessary nutrients. That, like the even more expensive Fox Farms soil substitutes, is fine for boutique growers with a few plants or growing in pots as nurseries do (a ten-gallon pot is only 1.3cf), but tough on the wallet for an in-ground grow of any size in marginal native soil.

Using bulk compost at ~$7cy, 30% perlite (~$18/4cf) and 20% decomposed manure (~$15/yd) will do the job and save you a lot of going in money.

woa. never heard anything like that before haha. im most likely going to be using grow pots or something (not sure i wanna tear up my grass) but i wanna use pretty big ones because i hear the bigger the pot the bigger the plant. but either way youve got me really curious now lol. how do you go about getting soil (or compost, whatever youd call it) from these places?

woa. never heard anything like that before haha. im most likely going to be using grow pots or something (not sure i wanna tear up my grass) but i wanna use pretty big ones because i hear the bigger the pot the bigger the plant. but either way youve got me really curious now lol. how do you go about getting soil (or compost, whatever youd call it) from these places?

Pick-up truck. Same as the cow manure.

oh i meant like, how do you find these places youre talking about? cuz ive never heard of anything like that around here

The private entity is listed in 'Compost' in the telephone book yellow pages. The county facility in the government section pages.

Easiest way is to ask a landscaper where to buy bulk compost.

Back
Top Bottom