Check out my ebb & flo system

chriscox79

This is my first grow. I would like some comments............Member Galleries:allgood:

Hey chris, I had to delete your posts with the links to your pictures. All pictures must go through the gallery. See the link in my signature to a post explaining how to post pictures through the gallery.
Now about your set up. They look nifty but those 2 liter pepsi bottle ebb and flos are not made for cannabis. Cannabis needs a huge root system and those don't allow for it. The roots will clog the necks where they enter the pvc and ebb and flo won't happen so well. Plus the plants just won't have the room they need to grow a decent yield. Not to mention the lack of support for large plants such as cannabis. You would have to flower at about 4 inches and keep then under 12 inches just to have a healthy plant all the way through with any type of harvest. A 1 foot plant will be lucky to yield a half ounce. Maybe a ounce if everything is done perfectly.
I'm speaking from experience. My first indoor system was one of those 2 liter bottle set ups. I found the instructions free on the internet for free. Drove the wife crazy with me asking her to buy all these damn 2 liter bottles of soda pop. I got it set up real nice and everything and threw it away after the first 2 months. Once the plants developed any root system I developed problems.lol Plus I saw right off that my yield was going to be maybe a fourth of what my requirements were. I switched to bubblers (DWC) and then went to a drip then a drip/bubbler then NFT and then back to soil. lol Been soil since. Hydro is too labor intensive. I just throw some nutes in some water, toss it on the plants soil and do it again a couple days later or when needed. I check them at lights on for 5minutes to water as needed and then close them up till the next day. It don't get any easier than that.:cheesygrinsmiley: Hydro required testing and dehumidifiers and chillers and pumps and heaters and all sorts of mechanical things that could fail at any time and ruin it all. The only thing to worry about with soil are pests and a light failure. IMO the math added up to soil being easier and my 20 square foot room definitely meets all the needs of my girlfriend, myself and a few friends of my choosing.

Hey chris, I had to delete your posts with the links to your pictures. All pictures must go through the gallery. See the link in my signature to a post explaining how to post pictures through the gallery.
Now about your set up. They look nifty but those 2 liter pepsi bottle ebb and flos are not made for cannabis. Cannabis needs a huge root system and those don't allow for it. The roots will clog the necks where they enter the pvc and ebb and flo won't happen so well. Plus the plants just won't have the room they need to grow a decent yield. Not to mention the lack of support for large plants such as cannabis. You would have to flower at about 4 inches and keep then under 12 inches just to have a healthy plant all the way through with any type of harvest. A 1 foot plant will be lucky to yield a half ounce. Maybe a ounce if everything is done perfectly.
I'm speaking from experience. My first indoor system was one of those 2 liter bottle set ups. I found the instructions free on the internet for free. Drove the wife crazy with me asking her to buy all these damn 2 liter bottles of soda pop. I got it set up real nice and everything and threw it away after the first 2 months. Once the plants developed any root system I developed problems.lol Plus I saw right off that my yield was going to be maybe a fourth of what my requirements were. I switched to bubblers (DWC) and then went to a drip then a drip/bubbler then NFT and then back to soil. lol Been soil since. Hydro is too labor intensive. I just throw some nutes in some water, toss it on the plants soil and do it again a couple days later or when needed. I check them at lights on for 5minutes to water as needed and then close them up till the next day. It don't get any easier than that.:cheesygrinsmiley: Hydro required testing and dehumidifiers and chillers and pumps and heaters and all sorts of mechanical things that could fail at any time and ruin it all. The only thing to worry about with soil are pests and a light failure. IMO the math added up to soil being easier and my 20 square foot room definitely meets all the needs of my girlfriend, myself and a few friends of my choosing.

well I find they are doing just fine.(check my gallery) I am at my third week of flowering and the buds are just everywhere.
full
My plants are 3'-3½' tall.
full
And I have not had any prob's with my roots yet.
full
My 2 liter bottle has a 8" pipe comming out of it.:allgood:
full

Well I like the concept of what you're doing there, and they look great so far looking forward to more pics!

The setup is interesting, are you using the 8" pipe as reservoir? if not it seems like a waste of water, ergo if 8" is only a conduit think how many gals. it takes to fill the pipe before it even gets to roots.

which gave me an idea for my next setup, Thanx!

In the the immortal words set down in "Alice's Restaurant"; "what'd ya git"?

Different people have their own preference. Personally, I find hydro less labor intensive. Have never needed to use chillers or heaters or things of the sort. I just change the nutrient solution once a week and thats it. Set it and forget it! From the looks of it, your setup is kicking ass! Keep up the good work dude!

Back
Top Bottom