Checking soil PH?

IGotGreen

I wanted to check my soil's ph level, and all I had available is the liquid ph test kit, with the plastic vial and the ph liquid indicator. So, I poured normal tap water {7.0 ph) into the soil, I then collected the drainage water {the water that leaks out the bottom} and tested it with the indicator. It showed that the water was at around 6.0. Is this an accurate method of testing the soils ph?

Yes, testing the run off is the best way.

You might want to invest in one of those cheap (~$20), pH pens. Better than the strips, but not as good as a more expensive meter.

A pH of 6 is kinda low. Do you have any powdered dolomite lime in that mix? Not only does it supply cal/mag, but also keeps the soil pH buffered to that sweet spot of 6.5-6.8

Having no lime in there will pretty much guarantee pH problems throughout the grow.

DD

Thank you for the reply,
I was originally planning on growing using Deep Water Culture, but that plan backfired.. So I use the ph up and down I bought for the res to adjust the water I water the plants with in hopes it will change the soil's PH. But I am going to use the lime method you described. Will just lime juice work? And wouldn't that lower the PH, since I believe it is acidic. I am going to do a little research after I post this so I will probably answer my questions before you respond.

Powdered Dolomite Lime is a finely ground Limestone, a rock.

There is no relation to lime juice or limes that grow on trees. Use those for a Gin and Tonic, not your MJ plants.

Not pellets or hydrated, but POWDERED DOLOMITE LIME can be found at Lowes or HD, either in the garden area or over by the bagged cement/concrete. A 40# bag cost ~$10.

DD

Back
Top Bottom