Chemdawg Aussie Backyard Grow

Blaze54

Hi all, I've got a Chemdawg seedling growing and just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

What Strain is it? CHEMDAWG
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? SATIVA DOMINANT AROUND 20% THC
How Many Plants? 1
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? VEGETATIVE
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 5 DAYS
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? 0 DAYS
Indoor or Outdoor? OUTDOOR
Soil or Hydro? SOIL
If Hydro, Reservoir size? -
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? -
If Hydro, what type of Medium? -
If Hydro, what type of Setup? -
If Soil... What is in your Mix? ORGANIC SOIL/ PERLITE (Unsure of what was in it/ best suited for growing flowers if that helps)
If Soil... What Size Pot? - SMALL
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? -
Is it Air Cooled? -
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? -
RH of Room/Cabinet? -
PH of Medium or Reservoir? -
Any Pests? NO
How Often are you Watering? TWICE TO THREE TIMES A DAY/ IF SUN IS OUT.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? NO FERTILIZERS USED
Size or Square Footage of Room? -

SOME INFO ON THE SEELING.

I've got a Chemdawg seedling that I planted on the 11/01/15, placed 3mm in pure Organic Soil and covered, it has sprouted and opened up to reveal the first set of leaves, the tips of the first leaves are slightly brown, today 15/01/15 I repotted the seedling into a smaller pot and mixed it with Perlite (As I heard Perlite is recommended for draining and provides the roots with oxygen). Is there anything that I should be doing to help my Chemdawg plant with stability?

Since removing Chemdawg to a more suitable sized pot it has begun to wilt (seedling was not removed in any way to damage the plant) No roots were broken and the plant was lifted out slowly.

The problem I am facing is, that I am very nervous to grow such a beautiful strain, I don't want to kill the plant, any help from experienced growers would be great.

Thank you to anyone that can give me advice, I could really use it! :)

Here is the Chemdawg seedling
A better quality picture will be uploaded as soon as I can)
P11400331.JPG

Hey mate,

Leaves going yellow or brown, starting from the tips, is a common problem that can have a few causes, you need to figure out which is more applicable to you.

I am not a soil grower normally but I know that typically most high quality organic soil mixes are too 'hot' (over fertilized) for seedlings. If you bought or mixed soil designed for fully mature flowering plants it may simply have too much nutrient in there for your seedling to deal with right now.

You can generally get soil mixes specifically for seedlings and then transplant to your final, highly fertilized soil. Alternatively you can start in rockwool or coco (neutral medium) and feed it only bottled nutrient.

Being in Straya and given it's insanely hot most parts right now it could very well be heat stress, ideally this plant is not above 23-27C, at about 30C certain functions start shutting down (like photosynthesis and other kinda important things). It might survive high heat periods but it won't grow very fast.

For this crucial early period I would try to find some way to keep it nice and cool, maybe partial shade or some air flow, anything that helps cool it down. Even bringing it inside and putting it under a standard CFL light would keep it alive through its first week or two. The general rule of thumb is that if you can't sit around all day at the same height as the plant comfortably then it probably can't either.

While heat stress and over-fertilization are the most likely causes you could also have pests, root diseases or pH imbalances that could also give you similar symptoms.

Hopefully some soil guys can give you better advice, I'm not sure if you should try flushing your soil mix and risk over-watering or just stick it out and see what happens, it's still early days and a very tough plant so I think it will recover just fine.

Good luck! :Namaste:

Cheers for the reply PirateBob, I do have some CFL lights they have a 12w 2700K Not to sure if that is suitable, seems a little low. I do however have 18w fluorescent tubes with 4000K bulb. Will this be suitable as well?

They will keep the plant alive well enough for week 1 and 2 of veg, you might not see the fastest growth (I'd say ~40W around the 4000k range would be ideal for the early seedling stage) but it will stop your plant from being cooked outside while just a sprout, once it's established a decent size it can go back outdoors to soak up the summer sun.

Thanks again for the advice mate, I've got it roughly 25cm away from the lights (18W 4000K) I mixed in Perlite to help oxygen flow in the soil.
Would it be recommended to get a product that helps with root growth?

A few quick tips;
Sounds like your soil is a little 'hot', i don't recommend using anything too fancy for seedlings, definitely don't use premium soil. Too much fertilizer in it. A seedling can go 2 weeks or more without any kind of food. I generally buy the basic soil without ferts, and i add them myself when needed. It allows greater control.
Perlite was a good addition, allows more air into the soil, plants love it. And it helps prevent over-watering problems.
If your leaf tips are brown, that is a sign of over fertilization.
I would change the soil out, just get some basic stuff, just not top soil or garden soil, it's full of bugs, just your basic, cheapo potting mix, preferably without any fertilizer in it.
Sounds like you may be new to growing. I've only been doing it a year, and I've learnt a lot. Some of the best advice i can give is, don't over-think it! Don't stress every little problem. These plants are weeds... Less is better than more when it comes to watering and fertilizing. Although these things do well in nature, if you want to give a good head-start, i would start indoors under a cfl, till she gets a bit stronger. An 18w cfl would be sufficient for a week or 2, however i would get one with a higher Kelvin rating. 6000k or more would be better, however your 4000k would do the job in a pinch...
I wouldn't worry about giving her anything at the moment, even for root growth. This is a fragile time, just leave her alone, she'll be fine, trust me.
I would also put that CFL closer than 25cm. The CFL's don't put off much heat or light, so you can keep em close.
Too far away, and she will stretch, and she might stretch so much that she bends over and snaps. I've had that happen.
I have about a 1 week old seedling at the moment, with a 23w flouro spotlight pointed at it, about 8cm away, and it is thriving. It was planted in a coir peat block, which is coconut fibre, which has not nutrients whatsoever.

Since it's cheap and easy to get down under I would reccomend rooting (or just growing in general) in a kelp mix from your local hardware store like Seasol. its organic and doesnt contain any nutrient so you cant really overdose it.

[video=youtube;Ntk2evt9L9Y]
[/video]

The video won't play Bob. But for anyone who is interested, just go to ewetube and search for seasol plant tonic. Looks pretty amazing. Cheers for that little tip bob.

Thanks for all the responses, unfortunately Chemdawg died several days after the posting of this journal.

However, I have a Jack Herer seed that is in Coir Block Seedling Germination, it's looking healthy and green; however the roots have started to grow up above the soil, the seedling has not opened yet to reveal the first true leaves.

It is forming a sort of U shaped stem, I've buried the root as much as I could under the coir block, I've read that this could be a problem with a shortage of oxygen in the coir block.

A friend of mine did advise me to place it under papertowel in a dark area for a day or two, is this a good idea to do?

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Thank you all for all the kind information.
Unfortunately Chemdawg didn't survive, all was going well, then she just started wilting and fell over. I'm unsure what happened to her, I've had other plants under the lights and they took off, slowly.
Obtaining a different strain of plant I placed it in damp paper towel in a dark, cool area, and within a day it was planted in soil and put under 40W 4000K lights. This was only for a short while until I upgraded lights.
After looking at many threads regarding LED lighting I went out and purchased a 225 LED Red and Blue lamp, Red: 165, Blue: 60. I've already seen fantastic progress, and I am very pleased with the way this seed has germinated and grown, she is starting to show her true leaves now.
Photos will be posted in the morning, it's 2:47AM here in Aus, bout' time I crawl into bed.

Back
Top Bottom