Chemical Pest Control

bruno12345

Good day.
Anyone here does Chemical Pest Control?
I mean, by using synthetic insecticides?

I know there are commercial growers that use imidacloprid, because of its systemic action (absorbed by roots and distributed through the entire plants).
I never did this treatment but i do use chemical pesticides.

How i do:
Product: Bifenthrin, dilution rates by label.

I spray the walls and floors of the grow tent (without plants). And i Spray the walls, around doors, windows, and even the floor of the grow room (the place where the tent is located).

Pros:
Bifenthrin acts for around 90 days, maybe more, killing insects in 10 to 50 minutes.
Treating the grow room, is treating the entrances of insects into your tent.
Durable action, means less work, and more efficiency than neem oil.
"Safe" if used according to label, using protective gear and restricting pets and other people from entering the treated places until the solution has dried on the applied places.

Cons:
Synthetic pyrethroid, cant be sprayed on flowers.

Question:
I did sprayed my plants leaves, before flowering, because of spider mites.
Science knows that bifenthrin is not plant absorbed.
I do not use fan leaves for nothing.

Could bifenthrin applications on leaves, a day before flipping to flower, be a good approach, since it could last through the entire flowering period, and it is not plant absorbed?
Feel free to comment your chemical pesticide strategy.

Good practices when doing this:
Bud and sugar leaves Washing.
Do not apply in roots (plants without mycorrizhae could suffer yield losses).
Do not apply in flowers.

(i do know of neem oil, and i use it when the problem is easily solved by neem).

Neem oil is made from crushed Neem seeds but also neem seed meal is pungent pest repellent and great soil additive / top dress but it’s a fert all by itself with NPK of 6-1-2

Diatomaceous earth is natural & kills by sharp microscopic edges cutting into pests exoskeleton but not effective when wet so it must be reapplied often - bad stuff for lungs so wear a mask but no social distancing required ha! Sulfur dust is micronized & wettable can be foliar sprayed or dusted on soil labeled as a preventative for spider mites & pm use masks here too if dusting. Spinosad is an isolate from sugar cane production, pyrethrin is from crushed chrysanthemums, Safers soap is like potassium salts of fatty acids, Oil dormant spray has a base of mineral oil, there are biological controls like our sponsor SNS made from natural sources extracted from rosemary, clove, cinnamon, lemon grass, garlic, peppermint etc etc all of this stuff is using nature to fight nature so most here use one or more of the above and typically avoid synthetics.

lots of bud washing around here, I bud soak everything 5 minutes per bucket using the standard 3 bucket system. Always spray leaf undersides first

See Nunyabiz‘ pest control regime in post #4 video Nunyabiz crew after a crap ton of pests issues since last was the Great Fungus Gnat & Spider Mite Orgy of 2020 in my garden, now I’m starting up same predator colonies in 30 gallon fabric bags of LOS soil

Great alternatives. Thanks for the reply.
My First grow i did MicroEncapsulated Lambda Cyalothrin in the grow tent and grow Room in two applications and was pretty surprised by the results.

A Lot of dead Insects in the grow floor, without even having too spray any of the plants.
Ive gone through the entire flowering period without having to do a single application of anything.

I believe synthetic pesticides could have a great result improving IPM.

A bad thing is for those who use beneficial Insects, as those would be killed too.

For those who like more natural approaches for plant treating, i do believe that at least space treatment with synthetic pesticides could do a Lot into pest killing and prevention.
Grow tent walls with a Insect killer that lasts for 60 to 100 days has me seduced hahahahahaha

I have no idea what you just said, ha, ha! Now that sounds like some advanced level shite there!!!

Honestly I don’t know much about ipm but was forced to play along as I’m sure you were as well. I‘m a new grower but from spring 2020 up until recently my grows all fell victim to spider mites and fungus gnats and one possible round of root aphids. It’s been a crap fest over here, I hang a No Pest Strip 2 and that helps but I hate using it, I seal it in a bag about an hour before garden time and purge the air with fans before working on the grow.

I saw that same video of Nunyas last year and started working in that direction. I’ve got smart pots of LOS with cover crop and nematodes, predator mites, worms and next will be rove beetles but I want something working the foliage too so maybe ladybugs. I utterly detest the scent of Neem spray and Neem seed meal isn’t great either but I put that in soil too. Anyway, there’s numerous paths to get there - I just want mine as chem free as possible. If I can get ladybug colony started then I will gladly re-bag the No Pest Strip 2 and save it for an emergency outbreak or whatevs.

I have no idea what you just said, ha, ha! Now that sounds like some advanced level shite there!!!

Honestly I don’t know much about ipm but was forced to play along as I’m sure you were as well. I‘m a new grower but from spring 2020 up until recently my grows all fell victim to spider mites and fungus gnats and one possible round of root aphids. It’s been a crap fest over here, I hang a No Pest Strip 2 and that helps but I hate using it, I seal it in a bag about an hour before garden time and purge the air with fans before working on the grow.

I saw that same video of Nunyas last year and started working in that direction. I’ve got smart pots of LOS with cover crop and nematodes, predator mites, worms and next will be rove beetles but I want something working the foliage too so maybe ladybugs. I utterly detest the scent of Neem spray and Neem seed meal isn’t great either but I put that in soil too. Anyway, there’s numerous paths to get there - I just want mine as chem free as possible. If I can get ladybug colony started then I will gladly re-bag the No Pest Strip 2 and save it for an emergency outbreak or whatevs.
Just saw here, no pest strip is a NO NO.
Diclorvos is an organophosphate, and its effects can be felt in humans, its very toxic and cancer related.
The volatility can impregnate on leaves and buds.
DDVP as is called here in Brazil, affects Acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme that regulates the neurologic system of insects and HUMANS too. Im really amazed how people sell this thing as a home care insect killer, this is really on the edge of the not safe side.

Gnats have never bothered me, sticky yellow traps, and in last cases a light bifenthrin coat on the soil surface can easily kill them (guess im lucky too for not having an heavy infestation yet).

Well microencapsulation is basically an insecticide molecule thats wrapped in a microscopic plastic capsule.
The capsule makes the insecticide endures more in the ambient, being slowly degraded by radiation, humidity, friction, etc... Basically an insecticide that lasts a little bit longer.

Lambda Cyhalothrin is an pyrethroid (similar as bifenthrin), a synthetic derivative of natural pyrethrins. They usually are a LOT safer than organophosphates. Lambda itselfs has a great activitiy against arachnids and alot other insects, lasting 90 to 120 days on walls.

Glad you found your way through this natural side. If you ever slide to the insecticide side again, come and talk to me and i can give you some hints into more safer and very effective ways of using synthetic pesticides.

Peace Brother!

Thanks for the detailed info. I agree the NPS is bad stuff and a known carcinogen. I am just getting the predators established and 2 weeks ago I took the NPS down and bagged it. Two days later I misted the plant and a squadron of gnats flew out of the foliage so I rehung it. The gnats don’t bother me but I don’t want them to get a foothold in my soil. I use sticky traps to monitor the numbers of new visitors but ideally I’d love to get to pest free & chemical free, that’s the goal anyway.

Hey thanks for that - same here if I can be of assistance then hit me up!

Back
Top Bottom