Chlorine and Chloromine

I'd just be repeating what's on the amazon page :)
Duh! I just realised you put a link in your post. Gotcha. Probably worth a whirl. Just to note: when you put chlorine and ammonia together it makes chloramine, so there isn't likely to be any free chlorine or ammonia in the water. The water companies inject chlorine and ammonia into the water supply knowing that they will react to make chloramine. The reason they do this, instead of just free chlorine, is because chloramine is more persistent and will be antibacterial for much longer. The only downer to that is, when we growers want purer water we have to deal with it.

I think you might have it confused with Silver Thiosulfate (STS) which can be used to make pollen on female plants.

:passitleft:

You Sir are correct. My apologies. I'd beg ignorance but I actually knew that one just fumble fvcked it up in a hurry and high I'm sure. Thanks for the correction @DrDoob :Namaste:

EDIT: oh I see now the Silver Thiosulfate is made with the Sodium stuff.

:thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake:...huh? Now I'm questioning myself. :rofl::rofl: I'm stoned... again, and ain't gonna go back and figure it out. If you're reading this in 2020 or later, just figure it out. We're having a party in 2019 and don't know which way is up. :goof::goof::headbanger::headbanger:

Anyone have any experience with this? Too good to be true? Seems levels above other filters (cost too) but to actually remove chloromine? Keeps Cal and mag also. Problem is it's been out for quite some time and figure at least some of the forums would mention it if it indeed removed nearly 100% of chloramine. My first grow in general and using FF's OF/HF/Nutes and some perlite so trying to not start off by killing living organisms before even germinating a single seed

AquaGear
1666045831520.png

May just end up going Brita and Vitamin C but still haven't found specific info regarding organic growing and vit-c being used either

Just a quick point.
Make sure it isn't sodium thiosulfate. This is toxic and is the main ingredient in aquarium dechlorinators.
I think API uses it. I'd have to check the msds.
These dechlorinators usually say that they are for ornamental fish. This means not for Aquaponics or fish farming or anything edible.
Vitamin C is your friend here. I think it is a 50 mg tablet will dose a 5 gallon bucket. This is what greenhouses, aquaponics, hydroponics and water treatment plants use. It is safe and your plants can use the vitamin C. They don't need the extra sodium regardless.
Vitamin C will break the ammonia bonds of chloramines and detoxify the chlorine.
Vitamin C is also cheaper.

Happy growing.
Can a 500mg tablet of vitamin C + zinc overdose your plant if I am using a half a five gallon pail? I am so scared to water today now @Emilya because I just read you said it will fix a bathtub full.

This has been a great read for someone that is switching to Coco and that doesn't want to buy 5 gallons of RO at a time. I also really don't have the space for an RO setup at the house. Are water is treated with Chloramine and I'd love to just have a filter to remove it or some form of treatment. Vitamin C or Campden tabs would be an easy fix to my problem!

Back
Top Bottom