Chlorine, Chloramine and Organics

Hey 420, I’ve been growing in inert media with non-organic nutes I’m looking to switch something up for the next grow. I have some clones in solo cups of Promix organic potting mix and I think I’m going to try out an organic run.

Ive read a bit about this and looked up my city water report and I see chlorine but no chloramine so I don’t think chloramine is a concern but not positive, those reports aren’t easy to read. Do I need to dechlorinate my water for organic microbes sake? If so is letting it sit for 24hrs sufficient? Aerobic Acid? Fish tank conditioner?

Here’s a thread I found interesting.

Chlorine, Chloramine and Plants - Everything You Need to Know - Garden Myths

You are going to need more than that soil to do an organic run, there just aren't enough minerals pre-loaded in there. Look into supersoils and also into Geoflora Nutrients for some popular methods of gaining an organic grow with regular potting soils. I have seen chlorine kill the organic feeding soil in water only supersoil grows, and if you are brewing your own microbes you want to stay away from chlorinated water, but with many organic methods these days that regularly bring in fresh microbes, the tap water chlorine doesn't seem to upset them.

You are going to need more than that soil to do an organic run, there just aren't enough minerals pre-loaded in there. Look into supersoils and also into Geoflora Nutrients for some popular methods of gaining an organic grow with regular potting soils. I have seen chlorine kill the organic feeding soil in water only supersoil grows, and if you are brewing your own microbes you want to stay away from chlorinated water, but with many organic methods these days that regularly bring in fresh microbes, the tap water chlorine doesn't seem to upset them.

Hi Em, Yeah I don’t have time, or the weather to do my own super soil till spring so I am going to buy a pre made and mix with a fox farm type organic soil, the Promix was just what I could easily find at the hardware store at the time to get the clones rooted. Have been eyeballing the Gaia Green 4-4-4 as well for a boost. Not sure about compost teas yet.

So probably don’t need to stress about the chlorine too much but doesn’t hurt to off gas it?

you just cant beat r.o.(distilled ) water plus it allows you to move to hydroponics down the road if you wish , they are easy to install and require no hydro , the big A has them for 200 bucks .

Yes you have to have a decent water supply.

City water is in my world (Philly) the WORST not only for plants but also for people. Think Flint, MI - yeah all older cities have those same problems and the water companies adjust the water on a daily hourly basis as needed to keep you from getting sick.

Only thing that worked for me with city water was RO filter.

I'm on a well now and its even worse since our water supply is on a Dolomite limestone deposit. So the water is SUPER high in Ca and Mg and VERY alkaline.

BUT that ca mg aint gonna kill me and its actually beneficial but not so much in a soil in a container. The city water is just plain poisonous to plants in containers.

I can use my well water in outdoor gardens no problem but not in a container.

There's a tool called a TDS meter cost 10 bucks or so. Measures the PPMs of your water. When you measure something like 250ppms from your city water and then ask yourself what exactly are those 250ppms made of??

RO filter tco's that. RO Buddie from the zon best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Personally I have no issue with my city water and neither do my plants in a soilless bottled nute diet. Our water treatment and testing is pretty solid. Maybe one day but no RO system upgrade in my immediate future

Back
Top Bottom