Choosing lights for a first time grower

nothernbud

hey everyone. I'm new to the group and also new to growing my own plants. I've been trying to read up on lights but i still have no idea on what type of light i should invest in for a first timer. i was looking in to a 600 or 1000 was full spectrum led or something t5. I'm only planning to grow 2 or maybe 3 plants at a time looking to keep it fairly simple.

thanks guys!

In my sig is 2 you tune videos that are must watch for lighting.

I dont know what the definition of a newb light is. I know what I started on and it was too small. I started at 250W HPS...insufficient.

The real issue is you want in the HID type bulb a 600w min to get tasty buds. But...that is the min so you have to do good. The more light the easier it is.

So you can start at 600W and do fantastic for sure. Less is just for leaning.

Now the problem is that covers a decent area. Ussually newbs want like a 2ft area to grow 1 plant. No good light really for that. Outside of some LEDs.

Ouch LEDs cost a lot for decent quality unless you go 2 gens old top of the line.

So ...if you can find an early top notch LED out there for like 200 bucks then you will be happy.

Otherwise...get a 600W. You can get a cheapo heavy loud hot magnetic ballast to start with...probably get one used cheap at a grow store.

Only use expensive top of the line bulbs

Good luck...watch the videos. Get a small tight hood.

I use open Air DE HID HPS in bloom and cheapo LEDs for early veg.

Please look at our Sponsors. They have lights to fit every space and pocket and are all reliable businesses.

Without their support, 420 Magazine and all of us would not be here. Please support our mission by supporting them.

:Namaste:

Sponsors that pay to keep a forum's expenses paid is all well and fine up to a point
That point is when the sponsors claim supersedes known logic or common sense
I agree with the notion of supporting sponsors with merit. I do not for those that do not
Paying a fee for legitimacy serves no one, and stifling the free exchange of information is a bad idea
People have a habit of getting to the truth regardless of barriers put up against them ;)

I concur with the QBs, love mine, all I use

Budget is probably the biggest question here, then space

Best and most important purchase is a light. I started with a 600w HPS for flower, and a 4 bulb T5, which grew into a 8 bulb T5 for veg, all three just sit collecting dust now

Spend wisely and smart if you plan on continuing this hobby, you will be happy you did

And be sure and get Cannabis nutes, not home Depot veggie nutes

All right, you don't need much space or light for that, but it's a good rule of thumb to double the output, so aim for growing 2oz. per month ;)

Do you plan on growing in an open area or in a tent/closet?

Is that budget just for light, or also for tent, extraction etc. ?
I plan to start growing in a open area to begin with then I’ll purchase a tent. And yes my that’s my budget for a light. What is extraction?

Extraction fan for air exchange, also carbon filter might be necessary is smell is an issue.

In an open area you can get away with a circulation fan and a cracked window or door, but make sure it's light proof when lights are off during flowering.

For a small home operation I highly recommend two small tents/closets ~2x2 each, one for flower and one for veg/mother/clones.
A perpetual Sea of Green run with 16 clones in 3L pots in a 2x2 can produce ~60-400g every 8-12 weeks, depending on strain, lighting and skill. Using a 135w QB kit should be able to net you the 4 oz. every 2 months with mainstream high yield strains and beginner skill level, in a few grows you'll get the hang of it and be able to increase yield and quality a lot.

I'd say get a QB 135w kit for starters if you want to work towards a small setup, or get a 600w HPS if you want to grow in a 3x3 - 4x4 tent. Don't buy blurple LEDs.

It's really up to how much space and power you want to dedicate, and how you want to grow which you of course have no idea about yet :)

Extraction fan for air exchange, also carbon filter might be necessary is smell is an issue.

In an open area you can get away with a circulation fan and a cracked window or door, but make sure it's light proof when lights are off during flowering.

For a small home operation I highly recommend two small tents/closets ~2x2 each, one for flower and one for veg/mother/clones.
A perpetual Sea of Green run with 16 clones in 3L pots in a 2x2 can produce ~60-400g every 8-12 weeks, depending on strain, lighting and skill. Using a 135w QB kit should be able to net you the 4 oz. every 2 months with mainstream high yield strains and beginner skill level, in a few grows you'll get the hang of it and be able to increase yield and quality a lot.

I'd say get a QB 135w kit for starters if you want to work towards a small setup, or get a 600w HPS if you want to grow in a 3x3 - 4x4 tent. Don't buy blurple LEDs.

It's really up to how much space and power you want to dedicate, and how you want to grow which you of course have no idea about yet :)
Thanks for the helpful info. What’s wrong with the full spectrum blurple led lights? Do the hps lights get very warm as I’m concerned with the possibility of a fire. I also read they should say csa on them

Blurples are no more efficient than HID, but the diodes will burn out and changing them is a certified PITA, changing bulbs is no problem at all.
A VERY cheap working second hand blurple is fine for veg if you can stand the noise from the fans, new fluorescent tubes are cheap and soundless.
Blurples are not ''future proof'', the other choices are.

HID does get warm, just make sure nothing touches the bulb, you can get air cooled hoods for HID, often necesarry when growing in tents.
HID is cheap up front and a good choice if you want to get growing on a bit larger scale without breaking your start-up budget.

The high efficiency white LEDs have ~50% higher efficacy than HID and blurple, and it's definitely the best choice for a small operation regardless of the up front cost.

This is what I was looking at so I could add some kind of fan when I get a tent.
A2BCD604-533D-478E-84B8-1D16F7BBD210.png

That would be a fine way to go, don't know the brand so can't say anything about that.

You need a 150mm (6'') extraction fan for that with good airflow, especially if you want to pull the air through a carbon filter within the tent.
Even if I grow open air with no tent? I’m hoping eventually with a tent I can use a dryer hood not being used anymore to just exhaust the heat and humidity outside and not have a filter.

About a ounce. And $250 cad. I was looking at a mars hydro 480w reflector series or a 1000w oene led from Amazon. But with so many choices it’s hard to decided in my budget to make the right choice the first time.
Check out these lights.

VIPARSPECTRA PAR600 600W 12-Band LED Grow Light

they are awesome.

I’m on my first grow and went with Viparspectra 600w Reflector series. I went with them over the good reviews it received and because they were affordable.

That being said, I purchased about 3 weeks ago a fully assembled/tested HLG 600H Quantum Board. Need the extra brightness for the 8 plants in my tent, and they should be here tomorrow

I’m on my first grow and went with Viparspectra 600w Reflector series. I went with them over the good reviews it received and because they were affordable.

That being said, I purchased about 3 weeks ago a fully assembled/tested HLG 600H Quantum Board. Need the extra brightness for the 8 plants in my tent, and they should be here tomorrow
I like them because of the par value.
The par value on these is high for a mid priced light and the penetration is much better then most lights in this price range

Back
Top Bottom