Choosing lights for a first time grower

Even if I grow open air with no tent? I’m hoping eventually with a tent I can use a dryer hood not being used anymore to just exhaust the heat and humidity outside and not have a filter.

You don't need extraction fan in an open area, but you need it in a tent, and you want something that moves +350m2 per hour.

You only need the filter if you care about smell.

You don't need extraction fan in an open area, but you need it in a tent, and you want something that moves +350m2 per hour.

You only need the filter if you care about smell.
Actually an air filter is important in a tent grow.
it filters the air,not just the smell so you're running with much cleaner air that can only be beneficial to your plants.

Actually an air filter is important in a tent grow.
it filters the air,not just the smell so you're running with much cleaner air that can only be beneficial to your plants.

The fan is blowing the air out of the tent, so it's the outbound air that's cleaned, not the inbound air.
You don't need to clean the air going in, if it's good enough for humans, it's good enough for plants.

However, you do need a piece of cloth or something over the intake so the fan doesn't get dirty on the inside ;)

I’m on my first grow and went with Viparspectra 600w Reflector series. I went with them over the good reviews it received and because they were affordable.

That being said, I purchased about 3 weeks ago a fully assembled/tested HLG 600H Quantum Board. Need the extra brightness for the 8 plants in my tent, and they should be here tomorrow
Do you have a link to some reviews? I was looking at two 300 watt reflector series instead of one 450w

Do you have a link to some reviews? I was looking at two 300 watt reflector series instead of one 450w

I just typed in Viparspectra 600W reviews and it would usually show up in a top 10 list on almost anything that I clicked on.

Stay away from vipar and such, it's no more efficient than HID, and as said before diodes will dim/burn out and they're hard to replace with new diodes.
Don't fall for the marketings scams and promises of matching this or that HID.
Sure they'll grow decent plants, but so will HID at a better price and with much higher reliability.

If you want to buy into LED, don't buy 10 year old tech...

Stay away from vipar and such, it's no more efficient than HID, and as said before diodes will dim/burn out and they're hard to replace with new diodes.
Don't fall for the marketings scams and promises of matching this or that HID.
Sure they'll grow decent plants, but so will HID at a better price and with much higher reliability.

If you want to buy into LED, don't buy 10 year old tech...
Led's run much cooler and viparspectra lights are rated at the top for mid priced lights.

LED is not a single entity, and vipars and other blurples have the same light/heat output as HID.

Not rated top for anything by anyone who
knows what they're talking about cuz then they'd be lying.

The cheap Epiled mono diodes are notoriously unreliable, and lose output or burn out fast.

I was struggling with LED options as well. I was stuck between the QB and Timber LED 3VL light. I ended up going with the Timber 3VL LED. I have been very impressed with the lights. I only have young plants at the moment but I still have not turned the power of the lights all the way up. My plants are responding very well to the LEDs. Dan is easy to work with and will answer your questions. The 3VL fits perfect in my 2x4 grow tent. I would recommend them. This is the link to the website: https://timbergrowlights.com

these are just from 3 review sites and there are a lot more reviews that I can list here.So here's the proof that Viparspectra is rated among the top ten lights on the market.

These are commercial content affiliate sites, these are not trustworthy sources, might as well be made by companies selling these lights, this is common online marketing practise.

The ''rating'' of a light is not something you can base on subjective experience..
It's all about science, and you can only base it on actual light output vs actual power input.

Led's DO run cooler and they use way less electricity then HID lights.

LED is still NOT a single entity!

There's a HUGE difference between the different brands, models, types, generations and binning groups.

A mono diode from the 70's is lightyears from a LM301b diode, so saying LED is one single thing is like saying that all bulbs are the same, or all cars are the same etc...

The low grade epistar diodes and low grade drivers used in Viparspectra lamps means that you get about the same light to heat ratio as HID, this is a fact, and you can see it by comparing PPFD readings and power draw.

Which LED runs cooler than which HID (and have the same light output) ?

Which LED uses way less electricity than which HID (and have the same light output) ?

One more thing about Viparspectra lights,they come with a three year warranty so if the diodes burn out or the entire light stops working they'll replace it.
One of the best warranties on the market.

What happens to your plants when you have to wait +3 weeks for a repair/replacement ?

QBs for the WIN!!!
These are commercial content affiliate sites, these are not trustworthy sources, might as well be made by companies selling these lights, this is common online marketing practise.

The ''rating'' of a light is not something you can base on subjective experience..
It's all about science, and you can only base it on actual light output vs actual power input.

LED is still NOT a single entity!

There's a HUGE difference between the different brands, models, types, generations and binning groups.

A mono diode from the 70's is lightyears from a LM301b diode, so saying LED is one single thing is like saying that all bulbs are the same, or all cars are the same etc...

The low grade epistar diodes and low grade drivers used in Viparspectra lamps means that you get about the same light to heat ratio as HID, this is a fact, and you can see it by comparing PPFD readings and power draw.

Which LED runs cooler than which HID (and have the same light output) ?

Which LED uses way less electricity than which HID (and have the same light output) ?

What happens to your plants when you have to wait +3 weeks for a repair/replacement ?

Have a back up light,DUH
Explain to me why quantum boards are better.

Have a back up light,DUH
Explain to me why quantum boards are better.

You're not answering the questions, explain your statements please, otherwise you're just spamming the forum with ads from a company.

So buy two lamps when you need one?
That's hardly a solution, it would be more obvious to buy a proper product in the first place and avoid the problem all together.

Are you seriously asking why a new high quality diode is better than a +10 year old low quality diode ???

You're not answering the questions, explain your statements please, otherwise you're just spamming the forum with ads from a company.

So buy two lamps when you need one?
That's hardly a solution, it would be more obvious to buy a proper product in the first place and avoid the problem all together.

Are you seriously asking why a new high quality diode is better than a +10 year old low quality diode ???

Why don't you just let people do what they want and can afford?
There is nothing wrong with growing with led panels.They still grow good plants.

Why don't you just let people do what they want and can afford?

Am I forcing anyone to not do what they want by posting simple well known facts?

If you can afford a Viparspectra you can afford HID, so get HID if you don't want to waste your money, very simple, and I said it many many times now, it's not like it's rocket surgery, it's a simple input vs. output equation.

Why don't you answer any questions?

Why don't you read the posts you post answers to?

Why do you answer posts about lighting technology when you don't know the basics?

Why don't you stay on track and discuss the subject?

Why do you post pictures of plants?

Why do you keep trying to promote Viparspectra in lighting threads?

Why don't you just let people do what they want, and stop pushing a single low grade LED brand?

There is nothing wrong with growing with led panels.They still grow good plants.

Again, like I said many times already..... Blurples will grow decent plants, but they won't outperform the same wattage HID, and much better LED lighting is easily available, so there's no point in investing in blurples.

There's something wrong with telling people they should invest their money in a product of low quality and low reliability when there's a cheaper and more reliable product that works just as well (if not better).
And there's something very wrong with qouting ads as facts, when new growers are trying to find their way through the grow light jungle they don't go to forums to get the same ads they got from the webshops and affiliate sites.

I answered all your questions, now it's your turn to answer some questions.

Am I forcing anyone to not do what they want by posting simple well known facts?

If you can afford a Viparspectra you can afford HID, so get HID if you don't want to waste your money, very simple, and I said it many many times now, it's not like it's rocket surgery, it's a simple input vs. output equation.

Why don't you answer any questions?

Why don't you read the posts you post answers to?

Why do you answer posts about lighting technology when you don't know the basics?

Why don't you stay on track and discuss the subject?

Why do you post pictures of plants?

Why do you keep trying to promote Viparspectra in lighting threads?

Why don't you just let people do what they want, and stop pushing a single low grade LED brand?

Again, like I said many times already..... Blurples will grow decent plants, but they won't outperform the same wattage HID, and much better LED lighting is easily available, so there's no point in investing in blurples.

There's something wrong with telling people they should invest their money in a product of low quality and low reliability when there's a cheaper and more reliable product that works just as well (if not better).
And there's something very wrong with qouting ads as facts, when new growers are trying to find their way through the grow light jungle they don't go to forums to get the same ads they got from the webshops and affiliate sites.

I answered all your questions, now it's your turn to answer some questions.

Nobody cares about your opinion so just settle down and let it go.
ok,it's time to get the last word in.
I won't be replying back so waste your time responding.

hey everyone. I'm new to the group and also new to growing my own plants. I've been trying to read up on lights but i still have no idea on what type of light i should invest in for a first timer. i was looking in to a 600 or 1000 was full spectrum led or something t5. I'm only planning to grow 2 or maybe 3 plants at a time looking to keep it fairly simple.
Hey Northernbud! I'm not new to growing but new to this forum. Welcome aboard! You ask a pretty smart question. Most newbie growers make zee mistake (if they've got money to blow) go out and get the biggest, most powerful light they can find, even if they're only planning on growing 2 plants to start, thinking their yields will be higher with more fatter, potent Buds. Bad move, so you're doing zee right thing. Reading up on lights BEFORE you lay down zee cash is smart too! Especially when you're reading and checking out YouTube videos on lighting. Zee problem with reading is that most light companies write a lot of BS on their lights that isn't even true. Your plan to keep things simple is zee smartest move to take. Reading gives you however, a good knowledge base from which you can use when you go shopping and talking to thriving growshop owners. They'll always steer you in zee right direction. Even though there are top quality powerful lights at low prices for sale on line, there are WAY MORE junk lights for sale that are garbage...and sold at rip off prices. I'd love to tell you what brands I use, but one of zee administors here told me that while we can talk about all brands we like and have proven themselves, we're NOT supposed to mention LIGHT brand names because they think anyone who does is spamming their own lights. I don't agree with this policy and I see other guys mentioning brand name lights but I don't wanna risk getting banned for spamming lights by mentioning lights I know are amazing cause I've used 'em but I'm new to this forum like you.

So let me ask you a question: Do you live in Canada? Zee reason I ask is that zee climate where you live, and zee inside area where you're planning to set up your grow is crucial to picking zee best type of light for your needs. I'm in BC but I've lived all over Canada working before I became a full time commercial grower. I've even had a successful grow one year in Inuvik! Most of zee time I was working up north where winter temps get down to -40C and stay there. I didn't start using LED's until I moved down to BC cause they burn way cooler and use (the good, expensive $700-$1000+ top quality ones) use half zee power. But up north that doesn't matter and you can get a great standard set of hot-burning 600watt Metal Halide or Ceramic Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium lamps including hood, ballasts for around $300 Canadian. But when you're using hot standard lights, you gotta make sure you can control your temperatures, ventilation and humidity levels so your area grow room stays at a stable 75-80C with humidity at around 50-60% while maintaining good venting.

And avoid grow tents and closets! These are zee worst things for newbies. Zee smaller your growing area, zee HARDER it is to control temps, humidity and venting --and to grow successfully for zee first time in a little tight area, you really gotta know what you're doing!

Hope this helps. I gotta go now, but if you wanna learn more just get back to me.

Northern Canada and in the basement with plans for a tent after awhile. I’m torn between led and hid. LED is cooler and uses less power. But with my budget I’m worried it will crap out and need warranty. Hid is the tried and true light that’s easy to fix if need be. But Im not sure how warm it actually gets and if it could burn my house down for some reason. And also how much power would one 600w light actually consume over led. Also I’ve now read some ballasts can’t run hps and mh bulbs? The kit I am looking at comes with both bulbs and uses a digital ballast. And from reading that some ballasts can use both bulbs and from the info provided by the company it sounds like it can run both bulbs which would be great for a newb

Back
Top Bottom