Chop at 7 weeks 'cause of Bananas? Please advise! (pics)

LatteBroker

Crap, was checking out my Kandy Kush x Skunk #1 at day 47, and noticed about 4-5 bananas on the top of the main cola. Then I found the occasional banana on a few other buds. Rushed for tweezers and carefully plucked them all, combing over the plant like a baboon grooming its mate looking for others. Plucked all the ones I could find.

Really not sure where these bananas came from, there are no light leaks, temp and humidity are steady at 76 and 50%, and I baby the fuck out of them.

So do I chop this girl? This is my first grow, so I'm new to this hermie in late flower thing. Apparently this strain flowers in 8-9 weeks, so I'm at least a week early on it if I were to chop now. My 100x loupe should be arriving on Monday, so I can check out the trichomes, but it's at about 70% red hairs right now, if that means anything. This bud looks dank as fuck.

I don't really want any female seeds, I have a ton of seeds from that recent Attitude promo. I'd rather have a bunch of dank seedless bud. Also, I have another 2 plants in the same room, both 7 weeks into flower, neither of them are showing any bananas.

Advice please? Here are a few pics of my girl, sorry for the sideways photos, annoying I know.

Thank you! I've learned everything from you guys (and gals).

EDIT: After more research, it looks like people are letting their Kandy Kush x Skunk #1 plants go for ~65 days give or take, so based on this I'm about 2 weeks early. However, I've also got a Royal Queen Special Kush #1 that's supposed to be a 7-8 week strain, and this thing looks like it's going to go another 2-3 weeks easy, so kind of doubting the accuracy of the seeds banks flowering times.

photo-4.jpeg

photo-5.jpeg

photo-6.jpeg

Oh, also I just remembered that there was a power outage due to storms yesterday - the power was only out for 20-30 minutes, but it was right in the middle of lights on. Then, 6 hours later I notice the bananas - could the plant really have produced the bananas in such a short amount of time?

i don t think the light change would hermi them that quick..

if its a good stable strain, they should be able to take that a couple times before going hermie, not to mention.. 6 hours is pretty damn quick to develop balls, produce pollen, then open up.

dont chop it up. if its this late in flower, chances are, the seeds wont even have time to develop by the time you chop.

pluck off as much bananas and balls as you can, and let her finish. you came too far to scrap it now :p

@nibec - thanks for the answer. I don't see any balls, just bananas, and since this is my first grow I basically stare at my plants for hours everyday just watching them, so I think I would have seen the bananas before now. The bananas hadn't opened up, but they were looking pretty ripe and dark yellow. Regardless, appreciate the help, I think I'll just continue plucking them when I see them, and at least just try to make it to 8 weeks.

You speaking from experience?

yeah, when i first started growing, all i used was hermie seeds i either found in bags, or from a few buddies who had small closet grows going, who would occasionally get a hermie.

i use quality genetics now, but, the knowledge still remains.

honestly, even if this were week 4 for flower, as long as you only have a few plants, its better to just pluck the balls than chop it, casue even if there are some stray seeds here and there, you're still going to have some great bud.

in the end if your not happy with it, just make a biiiiig batch of honey oil, or make some butter :) No sense in wasting your time/effort.

i know what you mean by staring at her for hours a day haha. i still do that. although i admit it makes it seem like a lot longer lol.

besides... if you only see a few nanners here and there, chances are, even if they had long enough to fully develop the seeds... i cant imagine the pollen made it very far, and you probably will have mostly seed free bud.

ps, some frosty lookin bud you got there! congrats!

If its all mut bagseed you can let it go, but if you got other plants in there, different genes, I would pop that hermie becuase the seeds you get are all tainted as far as the real growers are concerned.

Also half matured seed packets make the smoke woody and taint the overall quality.

I had a bag seed plant that hermied on me last grow. I plucked the nanas and let her go. At harvest she had seeds but I just scooped them up and saved them. The smoke was still good and the yield wasn't bad either. So I agree with Nibec, let her finish.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

@nibec - thanks for that, I had no idea what to expect when they started to bud, but I've been blown away by how frosty they are. They love the 600w digilux, although I don't have anything to compare it to...but you get the point. This is an awesome hobby.

@FrankFoster & @Queen - appreciate the advice...I have 2 other plants, one is a bagseed which I don't really care about, the other is a nice fat Special Kush...cheap seed but this thing is a beast. I think I'm going to give them one more week, since I'm pretty sure that the nanners didn't show up until last night, and then pull them all. That way the Special Kush will be at 8 weeks, and the Kandy Kush x Skunk will at least be at 8 of the 8-9 recommended. Unless I start to see a bunch more bananas, in which case I'll just yank it all.

Sorry, I was thinking they were bag seed. Just reread your OP, I don't think the color of the hairs matter much, at least that what I was told. I would wait til that loupe comes to check out the trichs before chopping but that's just me.

dont harvest early just becasue a few more banana's show up. the seeds wont have time to develop anyways, you might get a few immature green ones, and if i may suggest...

eat them :p they're tasty. try to pull them out of the bud before smoking , if they are even there.

@nibec - good to know, thanks for the opinion. This shit looks so ripe, but it's only at week 7 of 9, and I can't really imagine how dank it's going to look in 10 days. I feel like the buds are fattening up by the day, but again it's sometimes hard to tell when you spend so much time looking at them.

@Queen - I've heard the same thing re: hairs not being a good indicator, just seen one or two people say that they were. However, many more that say they're not, so I'll go with the majority. Btw, I've read a ton of grow journals on here, and I think I read your first one. It sounded like something of a clusterfuck at first, but you've really found a groove. Well done!

@nibec - good to know, thanks for the opinion. This shit looks so ripe, but it's only at week 7 of 9, and I can't really imagine how dank it's going to look in 10 days. I feel like the buds are fattening up by the day, but again it's sometimes hard to tell when you spend so much time looking at them.

@queen - I've heard the same thing re: hairs not being a good indicator, just seen one or two people say that they were. However, many more that say they're not, so I'll go with the majority. Btw, I've read a ton of grow journals on here, and I think I read your first one. It sounded like something of a clusterfuck at first, but you've really found a groove. Well done!

It prolly was my first one because I didn't have a clue and was trying to follow everybody's lead or how they were doing their journals. But I have found my own groove now but I will work on giving better information on my next one. Thanks!:cheer::cheer::cheer:

@queen - I've heard the same thing re: hairs not being a good indicator, just seen one or two people say that they were. However, many more that say they're not, so I'll go with the majority. Btw, I've read a ton of grow journals on here, and I think I read your first one. It sounded like something of a clusterfuck at first, but you've really found a groove. Well done!

I'm just wondering how it turned out and did u leave it an extra week? I'm just into week 8 and not sure wether to leave it longer on not! I've found seeds in the buds which I don't want to spread and ruin the buds :(
Cheers woz

Would love a final update on this post when ya get a chance. Let us know how the final product turned out, any seeds, flavor, etc. Domo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I got 5 plants week 6 0f flower in nft one is showing bananas ithink I'll cut it down but is there any way to flush out nutriant after chopping thanks

Back
Top Bottom