Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Yeah but I bet you paid more than $50 an oz which is what we paid.

LOL..yep, I remember those days... where you get a zone for $50 and after picking out the seeds and stems it would be like a 1/2 oz. lol... sure did the trick thought back then :)

Yeah but I bet you paid more than $50 an oz which is what we paid.

Oh man, we have a metric system, so ounces don't exist here :)

Basically, in EU countries price of commercial indoor/outdoor schwag is around €9-10 ($12). But this stuff will always be cut early, wet and lacking potency. If we translate it to US system, an 8ball would cost around €35 ($42), so an OZ would cost approximately $336. Getting something really good if you do not live in more liberal countries like Holland or Spain is extremely difficult, and in Italy a gram of HQ weed costs around €15-18... and that's why everybody smokes low grade Moroccan hash of potency around 5-8% THC going for around €6-8 a gram. Go figure!

When I lived in Paris it was the same thing, hash was dirt cheap and buds, if they were available at all, were outrageous. A quick trip to Amsterdam could remedy that but customs was pretty strict, I remember they had drug-sniffing dogs on the return train trip back to Paris. Athough we had no problems bringing edibles back with us, I wouldn't recommend trying to smuggle buds/hash though.

Yeah, man. That's why private grows are really booming here :) But mafia won't take it easy, and we're gonna have to wait a looong time till we see any regulation of cannabis market!

I think once the US fully legalizes cannabis and hemp, and the rest of the world sees that we haven't self-imploded from doing so, Europe should see the light and realize that there really isn't anything to fear from cannabis legalization and if done right there is a lot to gain, tax revenue increases, yet another lobby to contribute money to government officials, etc. The criminal side may protest but as always they will find some other way to fund their organizations, after all there are several other schedule 1 narcotics that they can still make money on.

I have some beans of this stuff but the problem is nothing is labeled and also probably over 10 years old at this point. They are from xmas buds in the southwest, us in the early 2000s for 65$ a zip.

Since its that time of year again, I wanted to revive this thread, and since there are so many new members since I originally wrote this, maybe we can get some insight on that elusive Christmas Bud strain. :)

Also, if anyone has come across some really Pine tasting strains, feel free to recommend them as I miss that pine tree taste of the 90's. I haven't tasted a good piney bud in a long time and the last strain that was even somewhat close I had was tahoe og, but not that taste like chewing on pine needles.

I have seen a couple strains listed as Piney, but haven't come across any to verify. Some of the recommended strains people have suggested are: Pine tar kush, freezeland, purple pineberry and pine cone, but I haven't tried any of these. Freezeland looks very very similar to what I remember Christmas Buds looking like but I doubt its exactly the same.

Anyone have a clue about the origin or genetics involved with Christmas buds? or how about very Pine tasting strains?

How about the MSS? Massachusetts Super Skunk? I grew up in MA and around '94 we started getting some serious bud that was super bright green with red/orange hairs, smelled like a pine tree fucked around in my mint garden and was out of control sticky and stinky. It lasted a few years and then disappeared. Only came around in the winter and was gone by March/April every year and it only lasted 2-3 years if I remember correctly.

Now, on to the story of the elusive MSS...

I know a couple people who used to be growing out up here and I know a couple who have taken over the reigns from those old folks...Chem and Res (Rez) both operated out of my area back then and the story I got (I don't now either of these guys personally but I got this from someone I trust who knows both guys personally...) was that while growing out the Chem phenos in the warehouse, the also were running a shitload of Sensi Seeds Super Skunk as a cash crop. One of these SSkunk females was crazy mint and pine smelling (more than anything they ever smelled) and they cloned the shit out of it and BX'd it with another SSkunk out of the garden. I have also heard that it was BX'd to the Chem and the result was the MSS...either way, that's the story I have from up in the NE...

I have had a "dream project" for a couple years...we are going to collect and grow out Sensi's Super Skunk and try to find that pine tree mint pheno...hello Christmas Bud!

I was just thinking about this weed! I was living in Nebraska at the time, would have been in the 90's to early 2000.

Every winter typically close to December this green would come around that everyone called christmas tree bud. I remember it being very light, everyone would be excited to get it because it would look like more than it was. Some people said it was called christmas tree bud because it was like getting a present at christmas, an 8th that looked like a quarter.

Anyway at some point someone told me or I decided I have no clue, that it was actually northern lights. Interestingly NL has a piney taste so maybe there is a connection there. Hope this has some value in the search, if one continues.

Very nostalgic about "christmas tree bud" and its cool to see that I'm not the only one that remembers it.

Well I'm still at it.. trying to find that mystery "Christmas Bud" and still no luck as to what it is... but I have a few strains I have yet to try, that are all claimed to be piney, and also a few leads on alleged "christmas buds" lol.

I've posted this same question in 4 other forums, and a bunch of cannabis groups on social media, tons of people from all over remember Christmas Buds, and almost all of them share the exact same story. (came around christmas, very sticky, very pine smelling, tastes like pine trees, bright green with bright red hairs) so I know that whatever this strain was, was not some renamed bud.. it was definitely all from the same source and strain... too many people have the exact same memory of it to have it be a coincidence. Nobody knows what it was though... or maybe they do and don't wanna share the secret sauce..

Strains claimed to taste very piney: (ones I haven't tried yet)

pinewarp,
purple pineberry,
freezeland,
pine og,
christmas og (said to be pine og renamed),
pine tar kush,
medi-kush....

I do plan on eventually ordering seeds for all of the above, if available... or at least trying some buds if they ever pop up in my area...

Some other pine flavored strains that are commonly mentioned, but I've had them and they aren't Christmas bud:
Trainwreck
Northern Lights
Super Silver Haze
Og Kush (tried 100's of them) tahoe og was piney, but not Christmas Buds..
Headband: was pretty piney, but more of a mint/menthol pine, and Christmas buds were just strait pine!
A lot of people say skunk, but personally I've never had a skunk taste piney.. usually its skunky..lol

I also came across a mention of a strain called Gainsville Green on another forum, and some people were saying that "gainsville green" was just a local term for good bud, sort of like "kind", "dank", "fire" etc... but others were saying it also was a strain, that was the original christmas buds. There is a source for the seeds I found, and the description does seem to match, but the photos they showed were nothing like I remember seeing... so maybe its a phenotype of it? maybe in the future I will try to get some of the beans... well see.

Then I found another story that was featured in 2013 in an online cannabis magazine, that told a story of a guy that came across a strain called "Christmas Kush" that only came around the winter holidays, and he found it was amazing for his pain. His supplier knew how it helped him greatly for his pain saved extra for him, and then decided to go get seeds for this guy with the pain. He got 6 seeds which was supposedly from the same genetics of the Christmas Kush. 2 were males and 1 of the remaining 4 stood out, which he kept and named it "medi kush" which later it supposedly won 2 cups or something. There was no mention of pine flavor or smell though, and even though the story was posted in 2013, the actual story took place in 2006, which is about 10 years after the time period I came across Christmas Buds....and after about 1996 I never saw Christmas buds around my area again... also the photos that are posted along with the story do not look anything like the christmas buds I remember so I don't think they are the same.

I also came across another mention that the christmas buds on a forum and a post said that the source of Christmas buds was southern Ohio.. but no strain or anything else was mentioned.

Well the search continues.. and hopefully I will find that Pine flavored dank that has been gone for over 20 years... its the only strain that sticks out to me so much that I can still almost taste it and visualize it just thinking about it.

Well I'm still at it.. trying to find that mystery "Christmas Bud" and still no luck as to what it is... but I have a few strains I have yet to try, that are all claimed to be piney, and also a few leads on alleged "christmas buds" lol.

I've posted this same question in 4 other forums, and a bunch of cannabis groups on social media, tons of people from all over remember Christmas Buds, and almost all of them share the exact same story. (came around christmas, very sticky, very pine smelling, tastes like pine trees, bright green with bright red hairs) so I know that whatever this strain was, was not some renamed bud.. it was definitely all from the same source and strain... too many people have the exact same memory of it to have it be a coincidence. Nobody knows what it was though... or maybe they do and don't wanna share the secret sauce..

Strains claimed to taste very piney: (ones I haven't tried yet)

pinewarp,
purple pineberry,
freezeland,
pine og,
christmas og (said to be pine og renamed),
pine tar kush,
medi-kush....

I do plan on eventually ordering seeds for all of the above, if available... or at least trying some buds if they ever pop up in my area...

Some other pine flavored strains that are commonly mentioned, but I've had them and they aren't Christmas bud:
Trainwreck
Northern Lights
Super Silver Haze
Og Kush (tried 100's of them) tahoe og was piney, but not Christmas Buds..
Headband: was pretty piney, but more of a mint/menthol pine, and Christmas buds were just strait pine!
A lot of people say skunk, but personally I've never had a skunk taste piney.. usually its skunky..lol

I also came across a mention of a strain called Gainsville Green on another forum, and some people were saying that "gainsville green" was just a local term for good bud, sort of like "kind", "dank", "fire" etc... but others were saying it also was a strain, that was the original christmas buds. There is a source for the seeds I found, and the description does seem to match, but the photos they showed were nothing like I remember seeing... so maybe its a phenotype of it? maybe in the future I will try to get some of the beans... well see.

Then I found another story that was featured in 2013 in an online cannabis magazine, that told a story of a guy that came across a strain called "Christmas Kush" that only came around the winter holidays, and he found it was amazing for his pain. His supplier knew how it helped him greatly for his pain saved extra for him, and then decided to go get seeds for this guy with the pain. He got 6 seeds which was supposedly from the same genetics of the Christmas Kush. 2 were males and 1 of the remaining 4 stood out, which he kept and named it "medi kush" which later it supposedly won 2 cups or something. There was no mention of pine flavor or smell though, and even though the story was posted in 2013, the actual story took place in 2006, which is about 10 years after the time period I came across Christmas Buds....and after about 1996 I never saw Christmas buds around my area again... also the photos that are posted along with the story do not look anything like the christmas buds I remember so I don't think they are the same.

I also came across another mention that the christmas buds on a forum and a post said that the source of Christmas buds was southern Ohio.. but no strain or anything else was mentioned.

Well the search continues.. and hopefully I will find that Pine flavored dank that has been gone for over 20 years... its the only strain that sticks out to me so much that I can still almost taste it and visualize it just thinking about it.

.thoughts...

I recall Christmas bud well. Very piney. From the northeast, not Ohio. Great shit.

I ran Trainwreck, Arcata cut. Not piney, and I hated it lol

NL can be piney, but you'd want to run a couple dozen to select from & imo it's probably not what you're looking for.

Hazes tend to lean towards "fresh leather" smell, no real pine terps.

Real 707 Headband is Sour Diesel x OG Kush/Sour Diesel (BX) It tastes like sour diesel w/a hint of OGK.

Friesland, aka M39 (same thing) originated with the (Dutch) SSSC. Ran it, It's not piney at all.

Gainesville Green refers to, basically, old school indoor Weed from G'ville FL area. Was great, but not piney.

None of the OG Kushes, are piney, imo.

I ran the MSS (mass super skunk) cut. Not piney. Skunky, but not roadkill, kind of sweet. Meh.

Pine Tar Kush, IF you can find original Tom Hill stock, is very pine-y. But finding those seeds, legit, will be next to impossible. But do try.

.thoughts...

I recall Christmas bud well. Very piney. From the northeast, not Ohio. Great shit.

I ran Trainwreck, Arcata cut. Not piney, and I hated it lol

NL can be piney, but you'd want to run a couple dozen to select from & imo it's probably not what you're looking for.

Hazes tend to lean towards "fresh leather" smell, no real pine terps.

Real 707 Headband is Sour Diesel x OG Kush/Sour Diesel (BX) It tastes like sour diesel w/a hint of OGK.

Friesland, aka M39 (same thing) originated with the (Dutch) SSSC. Ran it, It's not piney at all.

Gainesville Green refers to, basically, old school indoor Weed from G'ville FL area. Was great, but not piney.

None of the OG Kushes, are piney, imo.

I ran the MSS (mass super skunk) cut. Not piney. Skunky, but not roadkill, kind of sweet. Meh.

Pine Tar Kush, IF you can find original Tom Hill stock, is very pine-y. But finding those seeds, legit, will be next to impossible. But do try.

Thanks for crushing my dreams....LMAO! just kidding... I appreciate the input....and agree with your descriptions of the ones I've tried.

Bummer that the Gainesville green isn't it, as quite a few people on different forums said it was the source, I may pick up some beans anyways just to try them...

I looked everywhere for Tom Hill seeds, but no luck... maybe one of these days they will pop up in the scene again.

So from my list it looks like i still have to get some pine og/christmas og to see if it is close or not... I'm doubting its close, but did see photos of christmas Og that look almost identical to what I remember Christmas Bud looking light, so maybe......

The search continues... I appreciate you sharing your memory of Christmas Bud and your input on the "supposed" piney strains :)

Who knows maybe I will just have to order a bunch of piney strains and start breeding...LOL

Who knows maybe I will just have to order a bunch of piney strains and start breeding...LOL

I think that might be pretty close to the truth of the matter. Many people have asked around about that Christmas Tree bud and no one seems to be finding any. And the piney strains used to be pretty common where I am (BC). It's not like they were super rare- here or in other places by the sounds of it. If the best the breeders could come up with locally here is Pinewarp and Purple Pineberry, then it seems almost like it's been bred out of existence. Which is weird, and almost hard to believe, that a distinct attribute like that would get obliterated.
I looked around for the Tom Hill stuff a bunch as well and could never find any. There are other people currently selling Pine Tar Kush but since 'pine' doesn't seem to be the main smell listed, it really doesn't sound promising.
There was also a strain called Fast Pine which some people said is the stuff. Sensi sold it but it seems to be gone.

Hey everyone....

Back in Chicagoland and I believe throughout the midwest, around every Christmas there used to be a strain that came out called Christmas buds. I mentioned this on another thread but felt it deserved its own thread in search of what it exactly was.

These buds were so delicious, a mix between a pinetree and a peppermint candy cane and were nice pinecone shaped buds, very dense, with bright green and bright red hairs. I remember just a small 1 hitter packed with the christmas nugs was very strong and would hit your lungs like you just inhaled quick dry cement...very very strong high....

I have been wondering for years if anyone knows what strain or genetics these "christmas buds" came from? I know that I have seen people saying, "its just some bud that someone put a name on" which I highly doubt is true because it was consistant for a few years in a row that I could remember, always the same taste, look, and heavy inhale...

I would love to hear if anyone knows anything about this strain/cut/genetics because I would love to see if their still available and get my hands on some :) Also would love to see how many people got a chance to experience this wonderful tasting annual treat...

I would say this probably was around 1991-1995 or so... and I was in Chicagoland at the time..

We had the same thing in Texas I don't recall it looking at all bricky and was lime green so most likely it was the first trails of emerald triangle crops making their way east- was the Chicago brick and seedy? Or sensi?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

We had the same thing in Texas I don't recall it looking at all bricky and was lime green so most likely it was the first trails of emerald triangle crops making their way east- was the Chicago brick and seedy? Or sensi?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

At the time there was pretty much 3 types of herb in the Chicago area we got... most of it didn't have names...

Mexi, brick, ditch: usually full of seeds, brown, dry and in brick form and oz were cheap...like $60-100 for an oz or $15-20 for 1/8th. (generally was sold in nickle and dime bags)

Mids, 30's, commercial: Generally this was still seedy, but had generally a more skunky decent smell, less seeds than the brick/mexi and usually was more lime green color... could be nuggy or compressed in brick form but usually was a step up from the Mexi/Brick. Usually was sold for $30 an 1/8th.

60's/hydro/sensi/named strains like (northern lights, skunk, afghani, juicy fruit, bc buds, bubblegum, fruity pebbles):
These usually were the seedless sensi buds that generally would come from our Northern border, generally didn't have a name but was always known to us as 60's (based on the cost of the 1/8th), or dank, or kind... sometimes if we were lucky we would get a named strain like bubblegum or skunk, but this was fairly rare to have a name.

The Christmas buds were definitely in the 60's/sensi catigory, but were much much better than the regular sensi we got year round, the Christmas Buds were even a step up from these, and was only during winter months like late October-December and was very very memoriable.

The Christmas Buds were very dense, and from what I recall a very vibrant bright forest green, almost a lime green but more of a vivid mid green. Very sticky where even breaking up the bud was difficult and the buds were very tight and dense. Definitely not brick or compressed, and definitely not an airy strain.

The nugs from what I remember were all smaller in size, usually smaller than a quarter in diameter and not much bigger than a half dollar in length. I've looked for anything now adays that looks close but nothing really shows the same bud formation as I remember the Christmas buds. If I were to pick some strains that are close, Pine OG and Girl Scout Cookies are similar how they are very dense, mostly calyx and very little leaf.

No seeds ever in the christmas bud, which is probably why its nowhere to be found currently. Man I miss that super pine flavor and smell and that 1 hit wonder that made you hallucinate... the type of high that you would think you heard a knock on the door, but nobody was there, or you would think you saw something out of the corner of your eye but it wasn't there.

Starting to wonder if it had a long,,long flowering time.I tried everywhere to get Dr.Grinspoon,finally got a 5 seed pack in the original Barneys Farm package.Barneys Farm didn't even list it anymore.
My theory was the 100 plus days of flowering.With the changes in marijuana laws it seem more are going for shorter flowering times for their commercial aspect. They call Dr.Grinspoon an heirloom sativa strain.We may lose a lot of old strains to commercialism.

Back
Top Bottom