Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Thanks guys/gals that's what i was expecting from it and I don't have enough time to veg it to get big enough this go around. I want to do a bunch of pure indicas next grow and I will do some of these for sure I want that pure pine taste so badly. Brings back some great memories, or lack of memories, from the 90's.

Thanks, I'm not so concerned with potency. I don't mean I want it to be weak. I just want the terps more than I care about getting knocked out. People get too hung up on chasing THC% sometimes I think. I really can't believe how many people on different forums seem to be chasing after this same Xmas bud/ Pine Tar Kush type of pheno. It seems like it was a very common treat for a lot of us back in the day. Hope to find some this summer and if I do I will damn sure clone the hell out of it and keep a mother for awhile. Thanks for the help PW.

This sounds a lot like the stuff a relative used to grow in the UP of Michigan. Tasted and smelled just like a pine tree and left you with a happy perma grin buzz that lasted for hours with just a hit or two. Best buzz ever! But this was always gold and blonde in color, no green so unfortunately I don't think it's the same :( My relative no longer grows and I have never found anything like that since the mid 90s. Hence my stumbling upon this site in search of that long lost golden glow. Guess I'll just have to see if he had a name for it the next time I'm up there. If I get any info, I'll be sure to share. Good luck.
I am from the U.P and I remember this exact bud you speak of which led me to this forum! I've grown for the last 20 years might even know your relative. Back then there was only a few strains that a few people grew, but I only remember one from the mid 90s and it smelled just like a pine tree! Some of the first seedless bud I remember.

Hi people I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would throw my two cents in .I ordered some seeds from from a seed bank in Washington and got a 7 pack of 1979 Christmas's tree seeds as a bonus.(non-guys 1979 Christmas tree from an out fit called bud preservation seeds.) Do not know anything else. Anyways I grew out 3 of the 7 got 2 fems and 1 male .what I got sure sounds like what this thread is talking about. This stuff is heavy indica ,smells and tasts like pine and some type of mint. It is good .

Ya I'm happy with them am thinking about maybe getting some more( if I can) and making some seeds.do not have room to keep a lot of mother's. If I can't get another 7 pack I will make some with what I got. If I get lucky I might find a good male, however with my luck the last 4 seeds all will be fems. Anyways hope you enjoy your x'mas buds I did good luck on

Ya I'm happy with them am thinking about maybe getting some more( if I can) and making some seeds.do not have room to keep a lot of mother's. If I can't get another 7 pack I will make some with what I got. If I get lucky I might find a good male, however with my luck the last 4 seeds all will be fems. Anyways hope you enjoy your x'mas buds I did good luck on
Good thinking!! I got a male still! If its worthy i will make seeds

Just a FYI for everyone that wants to get seeds of Xmas Bud.....

Seeds are available through CSI Humboldt, which you can find on their website. (called 79 Xmas Bud).

Seeds are also available I believe still through Hazeman at Infinity Genetics which you can contact him via IG at infinitygenetics. Hazeman calls it "pine tar kush" but I have verified from the person he got the genetics from that it is 79 Xmas Bud. I believe Hazeman has a 4th of July sale going on right now.

**a quick disclaimer, I am not affiliated with either company mentioned above, but I have ordered successfully from both companies and had a great experience which is why I am recommending them. Just wanted to through this out there so the powers that be do not see this as a shameless advertising attempt as it's not :)

I have grown the Hazeman "pine tar kush" and although its been about 20 years or so since I tried the original "Christmas Bud from the 90s" I would say that this could very well be the same thing that I remember, as the buds smelled of pure pine (evergreen pine) and a couple of phenos had a slight citrus terp profile behind the extreme pine. I had success with the Hazeman PTK and if anyone wanted to see my results of the project, click the link in my signature called "Pine Tar Kush pheno hunt" and you will see my journal growing them out.

Happy Christmas in June-July!!!

CSI Humboldt produces what I remember from the mid west as christmas bud. These are unworked stock so pheno selection is everything.

The CSI Humbold Xmas Bud and the Hazemans "Pine Tar Kush" both came from the same person originially (NDNguy) who then gifted the seeds to a 2nd person who did a seed increase. I believe this is the stock that both CSI and Hazeman received it from after the seed increase. (rumor has it that it was intentionally mislabeled when sent to Hazeman due to some type of disagreement in breeding ethics) ***BTW REAL Pine Tar Kush is different than Xmas Bud. CSI has real PTK as well, hazeman's is mislabeled and actually Xmas Bud and not PTK. (I have CSI's PTK but haven't run it yet.)

Then CSI then did their own seed increase, and I believe hazeman did as well so although they are closely related, the phenotype selection between the suppliers is slightly different though. From what I have gathered though, seeds from both suppliers are very closely resembling each other, and even there is a mutated/varigation pheno I have seen from both suppliers seeds so a great sign that they are from the same original stock.

I have to agree, the Hazemans "PTK aka Xmas bud" was the absolute closest thing to the 90's christmas bud that I have come across since then, and its very likely its the same lineage. I haven't had anything else that was pure pine like the Xmas Bud. Anyone looking for that Pine tasting and smelling strain of the 90's. 79 Xmas Bud is your answer :)

Nspecta sent me an email stating up to 20% of the original stock showed the mutation. His Xmas Bud IBL has the mutation removed for the most part. I still have a few seeds left from the original stock CSI seed increase that still has the mutation present.

Nspecta sent me an email stating up to 20% of the original stock showed the mutation. His Xmas Bud IBL has the mutation removed for the most part. I still have a few seeds left from the original stock CSI seed increase that still has the mutation present.

That's exactly what I experienced as well. 1 of 5 female phenotypes of mine had the mutation (20%). That's good that they were able to remove it for the increase. My mutant actually corrected itself about mid veg and flowered normal. It actually had the strongest terps of all 5 of the phenotypes, and was very very piney. :)

That definitely shows then that the original stock that CSI had is the same as Hazeman's PTK (Xmas bud).

I have a buddy testing some of my progeny from my seed project outdoors. I believe he is running 2 of my tranwreck x Xmas bud, and also 2 regular Xmas Bud. One of the regular Xmas Bud had 2 appical meristems (main stalk), so we called it the 2 headed dragon. I will know more come September/October on how they do outdoors. :)

I used to get the Christmas all the time for years... I have the original strain in seed form I am making seeds rn if anyone is interested...
hell ya, interested!

I have Xmas Bud x Blueberry I haven’t run yet. Might be interesting.

That sounds amazing Pennywise! :)
I have crossed it with a handful of other strains too but still haven't found enough room to run some yet. Hoping for good feedback from my buddies outdoor run of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom