Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Hey everyone....

Back in Chicagoland and I believe throughout the midwest, around every Christmas there used to be a strain that came out called Christmas buds. I mentioned this on another thread but felt it deserved its own thread in search of what it exactly was.

These buds were so delicious, a mix between a pinetree and a peppermint candy cane and were nice pinecone shaped buds, very dense, with bright green and bright red hairs. I remember just a small 1 hitter packed with the christmas nugs was very strong and would hit your lungs like you just inhaled quick dry cement...very very strong high....

I have been wondering for years if anyone knows what strain or genetics these "christmas buds" came from? I know that I have seen people saying, "its just some bud that someone put a name on" which I highly doubt is true because it was consistant for a few years in a row that I could remember, always the same taste, look, and heavy inhale...

I would love to hear if anyone knows anything about this strain/cut/genetics because I would love to see if their still available and get my hands on some :) Also would love to see how many people got a chance to experience this wonderful tasting annual treat...

I would say this probably was around 1991-1995 or so... and I was in Chicagoland at the time..

This pot was the best weed you could get back in the day! In the 70's I smoked just about every kind of pot their was. I grew up in Fla. and when Christmas time came around you always looked for "Sinsemilla", that's what it was called, or "Sinse"because it had no seeds. All other pot had seeds, stems, leaves, and a few buds. The pot was nicknamed "Christmas Bud", or Christmas Weed" for two reasons; one could only get it at around Christmas, and the colors of the the leaves were green and very light green, and back side of the buds (very small) had red hairs on them (Christmas colors) running all along the full length of the bud. The buds were very small, yet very potent. All it took was one hit to get you high, two to get stoned, and the taste was just as awesome. It cost $100.00 for a quarter ounce. Most good pot like Colombian (dirt weed) back then was $20.00, (sometimes $15.00 if you knew the dude and he was really cool) for a four finger bag; (an oz.) it smelt just like dirt! That's when you knew you had the best grade of Colombian, by the smell. Besides Sinse, it was the best pot you could get, In my opinion, better than Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Jamacian, Wahahakin, to name a few, and even hash. Tai stick was good too, if you got the good stuff, which was laced with opium. There were no scales back then, unless you stole a triple beam scale from the school science dept. :) Mexican was usually $ 15.00 a bag and it was a three finger bag. It was ok, it got you high, but you had to smoke a whole joint, sometimes a fat one! Home grown was a 4 finger bag for $15.00. You always had to smoke a big fat joint to get you high and it was all leaves. You would roll the pot up in a sandwich bag and use your fingers to measure it. An ounce of pot was often called a lid. You could get a dime, and nickel bag too, but most of the time it was 3-4 finger bag.

Stories like this make young Jack sad. Growing up in Texas in the 90s all I we ever got was Mexican brick weed. Some smoked better than others but there were no names and it all pretty much looked the same.
Same here. Grew up south of fort Worth. seemed like around Christmas we used to get a break from the amonia scented brick to something alot better.. super green and piney. So we called It x-mas bud. I always figure it was because people that grew locally outdoors, harvesting October and ready around x-mas. Just my thoughts

Same here. Grew up south of fort Worth. seemed like around Christmas we used to get a break from the amonia scented brick to something alot better.. super green and piney. So we called It x-mas bud. I always figure it was because people that grew locally outdoors, harvesting October and ready around x-mas. Just my thoughts
I am in Austin and I always thought it came in with the x-mas trees from the N. West. My plan this year is to get some x-mas tree neddles and put them in a bag with some of my HG and see how it does.

Oh man, we have a metric system, so ounces don't exist here :)

Basically, in EU countries price of commercial indoor/outdoor schwag is around €9-10 ($12). But this stuff will always be cut early, wet and lacking potency. If we translate it to US system, an 8ball would cost around €35 ($42), so an OZ would cost approximately $336. Getting something really good if you do not live in more liberal countries like Holland or Spain is extremely difficult, and in Italy a gram of HQ weed costs around €15-18... and that's why everybody smokes low grade Moroccan hash of potency around 5-8% THC going for around €6-8 a gram. Go figure!
20201016_045707.jpg
banana kush hash...morrocan..£90 GBP 7gram..tested-14% thc...below..100gram morrocan bulk- £175 GBP...TESTED - 8%THC
received_1713157938978737.jpeg
2015-01-06.jpg
Afghani black goldseal
DSC_0030.JPG
polm
DSC_0025.JPG
Afghani 100g- £200 GBP
20180614_144031.jpg
Morrocan polm 100g...£175 GBP
20190724_085250.jpg

Decisions..decisions lol

Thoes hash pics:drool:just reminds me of a time me and friend were waiting for friend at a bus stop (lol), that a mid aged man was sitting at. And as my friend was having a smoke i think sparked a convo between the man and us. long story short he had some delicious hash, supposedly from amsterdam to ireland, wouldt doubt it tho. and gave us a small cube we then met up with the 3rd friend and a pinner each and could not feel are legs or stop laughing for hours after :laugh: Delicious, smooth kinda looked more like the first 2 pics above, to have some in the comfort of your own home and not have to go to amsterdam for a day or 2 to try it, is soo much better imo :ganjamon:

Old Thread, But a Good one.
The way I remember it "Christmas Bud" got it's name because it was harvested around T-Giving & was ready to sell around Christmas. The buds at that time of year were much better then buds grown at other times due to the colder weather & shorter days which brought out more Terpene & Trich production making these buds sticky & sweet smelling. I use to look forward to that bud every year. You would try to stock up on it, but it still didn't last too long.

Old Thread, But a Good one.
The way I remember it "Christmas Bud" got it's name because it was harvested around T-Giving & was ready to sell around Christmas. The buds at that time of year were much better then buds grown at other times due to the colder weather & shorter days which brought out more Terpene & Trich production making these buds sticky & sweet smelling. I use to look forward to that bud every year. You would try to stock up on it, but it still didn't last too long.
I got to try this once back in 2000 to 2001, and it was amazing! I found this thread about two years ago when i started growing and i have been searching for xmas bud seeds since. I saw that some one posted you could get them from csi humboldt, so i ordered some up earlier this year. I just sprouted these about two weeks ago . I cant wait untill harvest time to try this strain again! I have four going right now, I swear if these all turn out to be males im going to be very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom