Chrome's 'Just Mess'in Around' CFL + Bag Seed Grow

Hey man. Just checking your pics, and yours are starting similar to how mine did. It started with the light green on the ends/edges and then spread. As I said in my thread I'm really starting to think MG has a lot to do with it. Come to think of it, as young as our plants are and with my case in particular I think it is more the MG than the ph thing. They are too young for lockout to affect them as they are still getting nutes from their cotyledons. So the only two other possibilities are soil and watering schedule. Am I right or totally off base?

I have no idea, thats why i am watching your journal so closely. I want to see what they say about yours in hopes of figuring this out. My other two look great, nice and green and healthy.

Not 100% sure the coloration issue. I believe it may be ph. Soil tends to be high ph to begin with. Many people suggested lime to buffer it but have not done it myself. Igrew my first grow in MG soil and MG perlite. I bring the ph of my water to around 6 or so. Make sure the soil is not constantly wet. You do not want to overwater especially at this point in the game. You have alot of soil now so be careful. You want it to dry out this is how the roots spread. I'm not an expert grower by any means, but the most important ingrediant here is patience. I would probably just give them a misting of ph'd water 2- 3 times a day.

How close are your lights?

You also mentioned heat. Are the roots cold? Meaning colder than room temp from being on floor. Maybe raise them up somehow.

I think I'm saying that I wouldn't do anything drastic, these are hardy plants.
I manhandle mine around alot and actually think it helps to build stonger limbs.

Hope this helps. Feel free to check out the first few sets of pics from my first grow and you'll see how the plants and pictures progressed.

Good luck. I'll be checking in.

:goodluck::peace:
BassBong New member new grow

Hey thanks for stopping by Bass. I don't its anything really now that I looked back. Leela has had the yellowing since before I transplanted her.
overhead1.JPG

One on the left..

And looking at her just a moment ago the yellowing isn't really a trend. though she is with out a doubt lighter than Kitty Bitch and Mary Bell. I didn't use MG soil but i did use MG perlite. So maybe it is the nutes in the perlite. I also may have been keeping them too wet so. I have only once given enough water that it drained out, that was when i was gone for 4 days. I mostly just give enough to soak down an inch or two sense they dont have deep roots.

As for temps, yeah the room never gets very warm at all and as a result the soil tends to be cooler than the air temps. Which is why i run a space heater every hour for about 20 to heat the room up. and try to keep them warm. The floor is actually kind of warm since the floor below me like to keep it warm down there. The lights are 3 inches from the plants, but with as little heat as they give off it all just dissipates fast given the high vertical space. I am sure they will be fine, like you said they are hardy plants.

edit: there will be a photo update tomorrow there has been some very nice new growth the past day.

I just started my first grow and journal, mine germinated the day before yours. I'm also using CFL's so I'm in. Can't wait to see the new growth.

Hey Pres, thanks for stopping by. Just in time for todays photo update!! Checked out your grow, looks very nice! your plants growth is far ahead of mine. I am starting to think i need to ad more lights ASAP.

Ok here we go!

Day 15!

Kitty bitch
KB-D15.JPG

KB-D15-2.JPG

Mary bell
MB-D15.JPG

MB-d15-2.JPG

Leela
L-D15.JPG

L-D15-2.JPG

So there you are my Day 15 photo up date. As you can see Leela is gaining color and is looking good. Mary Bell being the last to germinate is still smaller, but shes definitely a cutie! and Kitty Bitch is still looking awesome! The growth is still a little slow so I am considering running out to Lowes and buying more lights today. Maybe. we'll see..

Well thanks for stopping! ya'll come back soon you hear!

I'd like to build a nice 8 or 12 CFl rig. and will definitely need to up the light count in a the next few weeks so I am planning something, but i am not sure what.

I'm not sure if you saw this yet or not but I put up a how to in the DIY for a CFL reflector that's pretty cheap and works great.. Here's a link!

Yeah I was looking at that, I actually saw it before when you first posted it. the problem is I dont really know Jack about electric wiring and am nervous about burning my house down. haha I've been thinking about something to do that doesn't need wiring but am failing. I dont want to keep using a power strip that i do know. and i dont want to daisy chain to many extension cords either.

I actually say it before.

I thought so! I actually had to look at the thread because I was so sure. lol Must be in Roseman's CFL tutorial.

I hate electrical myself! Back in my constructions days my boss would prank us by acting like he turned the power off and ask us to remove some outlets.. Not fun, well it's kinda funny now. Anyhow it's not too bad once you get that fear out your head. I'd be glad to help if you decide to tackle anything.

Ok well i ran to the hardware store and got some more bulbs. extension cords and Y adapters. So I know present you with temp set up número dos.

Temp_rig_2.JPG

TA-DA!!!

I have like 5 pizza boxes and I am thinking of making a reflector out of them. I also need to make room for my tomatoes in the closet soon. Tis the season!

Felt like posting more pics of my closet.

closet_pic4.JPG

here you can see the whole growing area. On the shelf is a power strip.
closet_pic1.JPG

Here you can see my super advanced high tech space age light rig counter balance. bricks FTW!
closet_pic2.JPG

Birds eye of the new setup. I have the two bulbs on the top left turned off I dont need them till the tomatoes go in. how ever i need them to counter the weight of the two i am using.
closet_pic3.JPG

Looking up. what do you think should I try and grow a 15 footer?
closet_pic5.JPG

can not forget the accordion, whats a grow space with out one? A very dull grow space thats what!!

Sunny spring days rule! Its 75 and sunny so i thought i'd take the ladies out too enjoy the sun for the afternoon.

sun_plants2.JPG

Soak it up ladies!

sun_plants.JPG

Nothing like some sexy ladies catching some rays: top to bottome: Kitty bitch, Leela, Mary Bell.

Kitty_and_plants.JPG

Oh noes its attack of the Bitch kitty!!!(worry not Mary Bell is fine)

kitty_and_plants_2.JPG

Kitty chilling next to Kitty bitch..

Hey chrome,looking good. I was reading a journal,I believe it was woodsmans, and apparently you have to be careful putting them outside. They said the intensity of the sun can cause quite a shock to them. Not to mention the possibility of bringing bugs in with them. I have never moved indoor plants outside but thought I would pass along what I read. :peace:

Hey chrome,looking good. I was reading a journal,I believe it was woodsmans, and apparently you have to be careful putting them outside. They said the intensity of the sun can cause quite a shock to them. Not to mention the possibility of bringing bugs in with them. I have never moved indoor plants outside but thought I would pass along what I read. :peace:

If the plants have only been under fluorescent lighting, especially the relatively little amount he's using, then yes...the sun can be too much for them and cause damage. Always best to acclimate them a little bit at a time rather than just putting them outside. As they get more used to it you could lengthen the exposure times more and more (start off with 15 min increments and work up to 60 min increments as they build up a tolerance).

ItsChrome, no, do not try and grow a 15 footer...grow a 20 footer! :cheer:

:oops:
Oh no! I didn't even think of that. I have always taken my house plants out side on nice days.. I never even thought of the bugs..

It's nice to see the inspiration behind the name. She kinda looks a little pissy... :laugh: Looking good.
You have NO idea. hahaha

If the plants have only been under fluorescent lighting, especially the relatively little amount he's using, then yes...the sun can be too much for them and cause damage. Always best to acclimate them a little bit at a time rather than just putting them outside. As they get more used to it you could lengthen the exposure times more and more (start off with 15 min increments and work up to 60 min increments as they build up a tolerance).

ItsChrome, no, do not try and grow a 15 footer...grow a 20 footer! :cheer:

Ok well i put them out from 1 pm till 5pm! eek! They look great though I think I even notice a little vertical growth since when i just checked them compared to when I put them out side. How would I know if they were in shock what are the signs? I dont feel like posting pics right now to show what they look like, but they look fine to me.

Also I dont think my neighbors would like 5ft of my plant growing in their closet, hahaha. plus they might steal all the good cola buds!

Back
Top Bottom