Chronic Pain by James Blessing

Julie Gardener

Chronic Pain by James Blessing​

I am a 48- year- old male. I have had eight knee surgeries and two2 back surgeries. My first four knee surgeries were before I graduated high school. I have worked primarily in retail management and dispatching for trucking companies. I have had two years of college with no degree.

My first use of pot was after high school for recreational use. I noticed that my knees were less stiff and painful when I was high. I used it on and off for years. Around 1986 I blew out a disc and used the drug for pain and to relieve my arthritic conditions. Again my use was not constant and I was prescribed different painkillers and anti-inflammatory through the years. In 2002 I again messed up my back--- same disc, other side-- and had surgery again. This time there was much more nerve pain in my left foot and calf due to the damage. I was sent to a pain clinic which prescribed several drugs--Oxyconitn and Lortab,, among others.

I went to a four week in- depth physical therapy regimen in which as my level of activity increased so did my pain. They continued prescribing more pain meds and/or increasing the dosage. By the time it was over I was taking about 20 pills a day at a cost of over $1200.00 a month.

I was zombified most of the time, dropping cigarettes on the carpet, could not function in any sense of the word, and was about to lose my wife over it because in her words, I was killing myself. I started smoking pot again with a pipe brass bowl. I then was tested positive for pot use by the pain clinic. I told them I would not give up my pot-- that I would give them up instead. After 3 -4 days of awful withdrawal--- the most awful thing I have ever been through--- I only smoked pot. I have had several doctors try to prescribe pain meds since then but have refused. I smoke 5-6 times a day, including a pretty good bit before bed to help me sleep, and have worked again at a job.

If you ask my wife which she would rather have as a husband she will tell you the pothead. The difference is like night and day. I am more active and have less adverse effects from the pot than I did the pain meds. I have never been in trouble with the law due to pot. I usually spend 300-400 a month on pot vs. the $1100.00 to $1200.00 for other pain meds. I am a better husband, have less nerve pain and arthritic pain, and can function again I will be happy to answer any questions any time and you may use my name. I am not ashamed of doing it and will tell anyone that has arthritic or nerve pain to use it vs. prescribed pain meds any day. I do not like the fact that I have to go to dealers to get it and will only do so when I have enough to last for a while. I really hope this helps. I have always told doctors since the pain clinic that I use pot for pain.

Source: Comments and Observations

Back
Top Bottom