Clarification on feeding nutes?

AKgramma

When we prepare the nutes as directed, for example 1 TSP per gallon of water, do we feed the entire gallon to each plant, or do we give each plant 1 or 2 cups of the solution? I have 3 gallon pots, and I only give each plant a cup or two once a week.

I wonder if I'm not feeding them enough.

not necessarily...the ratio is a determined strength so you don't burn your plants...however I don't think I ever have mixed a batch at the recommended dosage...I prefer to err on the side of caution and always mix lite...your plants... environment... and soil porosity will determine how often you need to water...for example...I feed a gallon+ twice a week as a rule in 7 gallon smart pots...sometimes more...sometimes less...they let Ya know...Cheerz!...h00k...

But is that 1 gallon per 7 gallon pot, or do you dole it out to all your 7 gallon pots (meaning you make up a whole bunch of solution)?

Spread it out...say for my dozen 7 and 10 gallon pots, I mix up 15 gallons of nutes(at 1/2 strength or slightly more)...they all get an equal amount...unless some aren't as thirsty as others...you're mixing just to a strength, then feeding as much as your plants need/want...cheerz...h00k

...should only mix what you need...some folks say fertilized water left to sit can affect PH...not sure tho'...

When we prepare the nutes as directed, for example 1 TSP per gallon of water, do we feed the entire gallon to each plant, or do we give each plant 1 or 2 cups of the solution? I have 3 gallon pots, and I only give each plant a cup or two once a week.

I'm not sure what brand nutes your using but I'll use mine as a reference. I use General organics and when I mix my nutes I make 3 gallons for 6 two gallon pots. So I'm feeding them a half gallon each every watering. I'm only guessing here but I'm assuming that your watering with plain water and then adding two cups of mixed nutrients?

Hey AK. Like dr.h00k said, it's really up to you and what you determine the plant needs. The company making the nutrients will be able to give you a pretty good idea of how strong the nutrients need to be for the average plant, but in most cases, it could be adjusted to fit the specific plant that you're growing. That being said, I think you could be using more nutrient solution than just 1 or 2 cups per week. In my opinion, the best way to adjust the strength is to mix it in with the water at a weaker rate and then feed that water directly to the plant. It will distribute the nutrients through the soil better that way.

This is an excellent read and it has helped me out big time regarding the when's and how's to water and feed plants.
The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant (by EMILYA)
Whether you're watering or feeding makes no difference to me, I always give them enough to get run off, and that may only be once every week or two in veg, when flowering they get more, especially in hot weather.

I drench a pot completely.
My rule of thumb is roughly 25% of the pot size. 7 gal pots each get 1 gal water/feed. 1 gal pots get 1 quart.

I drench a pot completely.
My rule of thumb is roughly 25% of the pot size. 7 gal pots each get 1 gal water/feed. 1 gal pots get 1 quart.

Thank you, PITA. This is precisely what I was looking for. Ratio of nute water to size of pot.

Right now, due to space constraints, the largest bins I use are 3 gallon.

For the rest who answered, I think some of you misunderstood my question. I KNOW how to water-dry-water-dry. I was asking how much of the nutrient/water to use for a 3 gallon pot. I sure wasn't going to feed my plants a whole gallon of nute-water per pot. That can get damned expensive!

However, since I was feeding only a couple cups per week, they might appreciate a gallon per pot occasionally! LOL!

I believe I had your answer in both my replies(dividing by 2 roughly)...but after rereading them...I could have been more clear in my answers...lolool...glad Ya got the answer you wanted...can never go wrong with Major's advice IMHO...Cheerz...h00k...

My aim when I feed the plants is to saturate the entire pot. I water the plants well before feeding so that the nute solution will soak into the pot more evenly.

My aim when I feed the plants is to saturate the entire pot. I water the plants well before feeding so that the nute solution will soak into the pot more evenly.

Personally, I would water using 100% "nutrient solution" ... you maybe diluting your nutrients by using only water first.

Yeah I know what you mean Twox. I like to let the pots dry out quite a lot between waterings and it takes quite a bit of time and water to get them saturated again. I don't really want to be mixing 30-40 gallons of nute solution each time when I can get by with 10 -and the rest plain water. Often I water them throughly the night before feeding. And when I feed I aim for plenty of runoff - trying to replace the water in the pot with the nutrient mix. But yeah, I assume that whatever solution goes into the pot ends up being somewhat diluted by the existing moisture. That doesn't bother me, as long as I'm sorta consistent in how I feed, I can raise or lower the ppm based on how the the plants are faring -it all works out.

Yeah I know what you mean Twox. I like to let the pots dry out quite a lot between waterings and it takes quite a bit of time and water to get them saturated again. I don't really want to be mixing 30-40 gallons of nute solution each time when I can get by with 10 -and the rest plain water. Often I water them throughly the night before feeding. And when I feed I aim for plenty of runoff - trying to replace the water in the pot with the nutrient mix. But yeah, I assume that whatever solution goes into the pot ends up being somewhat diluted by the existing moisture. That doesn't bother, me long as I'm sorta consistent in how I feed, I can raise or lower the ppm based on how the the plants are faring -it all works out.
Wow, that's a lot of water... I don't blame you for not wanting to mix 40 gallons of nutes. Your system seems to be working great for you because your plants look great. Lots of great info for AKgramma too. I guess I was trying to convince AK to use more than 2 cups of nutrients as I got you and his avatar mixed up (sorry) when I replied. Keep up the good work everyone and best of luck

I just mix up a gallon jug of nutrient solution, then water the pot until run-off, and go on to the next plant. I haven't used any size of pot over 5 gallons, and typically a gallon will always be enough to water a container that size to run-off. With 3 gallon pots I can typically get two of them with one gallon.

Back
Top Bottom