Classic 1000 Watt HPS 4x4 Scrog Grow

I'm from Alberta myself. Are you using city water or RO water? Coco coir likes to hold onto calcium, so a lot of coco specific nutes are basically regular nutes with extra calcium. However, when you dial back your base coco nutrients to optimize with other additives, you likely need a calcium additive. In the Edmonton area, you can add some city water to the ro to boost calcium levels.

I'm from Alberta myself. Are you using city water or RO water? Coco coir likes to hold onto calcium, so a lot of coco specific nutes are basically regular nutes with extra calcium. However, when you dial back your base coco nutrients to optimize with other additives, you likely need a calcium additive. In the Edmonton area, you can add some city water to the ro to boost calcium levels.
Bad ass nice to meet you! I'm north or Edmonton running town water I never dialed back my base for additives just always added them! The only change has been making sure PH is perfect, downed my calmag from 150ppm to 120ppm so I bumped it back up this morning and flipped to bloom nutes but I think it's to early for that to he the cause!

I wish I knew more about the nutes. That or calmag may help.
Dont stress it man I'm not or I'd post in the problems thread! It's my first coco run I am bound to have problems super annoying but allll part of the process! I bumped up my calmag it was only 1 plant that was showing so I'll report back on that issue in a few days! You've been so much help so far thanks again.

Dont stress it man I'm not or I'd post in the problems thread! It's my first coco run I am bound to have problems super annoying but allll part of the process! I bumped up my calmag it was only 1 plant that was showing so I'll report back on that issue in a few days! You've been so much help so far thanks again.

Well the calmag can't hurt the plant as long as you're happy with yourPPM levels. The plant uses a mess load of Ca so most growers have to use it at some point. Some bottles have a maintenance feed schedule and a problem feed schedule... in otherwords something like 2mL/L for maintenance and 4mL for clearing up issues. I would use the high end of the recommended feed of the calmag if more than one option.

Bad ass nice to meet you! I'm north or Edmonton running town water I never dialed back my base for additives just always added them! The only change has been making sure PH is perfect, downed my calmag from 150 ppm to 120 ppm so I bumped it back up this morning and flipped to bloom nutes but I think it's to early for that to he the cause!
I'm from the Edmonton area too. You need to stop using city water for your nutrients. There is 130 ppm of calcium carbonate in the water. When you use it for hydro, you end up with way too much calcium, and the carbonate breaks down in water with pH lower than 6.5, which causes the pH to drift up. It drifted so much, that it used up all the pH buffer in your nutrients.

Calcium, potassium, and magnesium share the cation exchange sites in the coco coir. Typically, coco nutes have decreased potassium and increased calcium content. These three nutrients need to be in balance(not equal amounts) in regards to availability to the plant. The excess calcium will take up too many exchange sites, reducing the availability of potassium and magnesium to the plant.

When you were in veg, the plants had darker green central leaves, and lighter top and bottom leaves. That was the calcium excess. When you switch to bloom nutes, the nitrogen and potassium are reduced, and phosphorous is increased. The reduction in potassium made the imbalance worse, and now your plant is exhibiting burnt edges and necrotic patches on lower and central leaves, and the new growth is light green. Potassium is a mobile nutrient, so the plant will rob from old growth to feed new growth at the top. When you're dealing with a potassium deficiency, be aware that the plants heat resistance is diminished. Most likely, the calcium excess was the reason the kush plant was stunted.

If you switch to RO or distilled water, and correct the calcium excess, your plants will heal. Don't cut off the damaged leaves unless they are dead, because the plant is feeding on them to compensate for the deficiency. Cut off the dead leaves and remove, as they attract bugs. You can get 5 gallon water jugs filled with ro water at some Canadian Tire stores for $0.99. I suggest getting an RO filter, as hauling bottled water sucks.

I'm from the Edmonton area too. You need to stop using city water for your nutrients. There is 130 ppm of calcium carbonate in the water. When you use it for hydro, you end up with way too much calcium, and the carbonate breaks down in water with pH lower than 6.5, which causes the pH to drift up. It drifted so much, that it used up all the pH buffer in your nutrients.

Calcium, potassium, and magnesium share the cation exchange sites in the coco coir. Typically, coco nutes have decreased potassium and increased calcium content. These three nutrients need to be in balance(not equal amounts) in regards to availability to the plant. The excess calcium will take up too many exchange sites, reducing the availability of potassium and magnesium to the plant.

When you were in veg, the plants had darker green central leaves, and lighter top and bottom leaves. That was the calcium excess. When you switch to bloom nutes, the nitrogen and potassium are reduced, and phosphorous is increased. The reduction in potassium made the imbalance worse, and now your plant is exhibiting burnt edges and necrotic patches on lower and central leaves, and the new growth is light green. Potassium is a mobile nutrient, so the plant will rob from old growth to feed new growth at the top. When you're dealing with a potassium deficiency, be aware that the plants heat resistance is diminished. Most likely, the calcium excess was the reason the kush plant was stunted.

If you switch to RO or distilled water, and correct the calcium excess, your plants will heal. Don't cut off the damaged leaves unless they are dead, because the plant is feeding on them to compensate for the deficiency. Cut off the dead leaves and remove, as they attract bugs. You can get 5 gallon water jugs filled with ro water at some Canadian Tire stores for $0.99. I suggest getting an RO filter, as hauling bottled water sucks.

Man that's incredible info thank you so much I'm going to look into to for sure!

Follow along bro! What are you running now? I've done several promix grows but this is my first coco and advanced nutes grow and I can tell the difference already!
I converted the room. Two plants. Each 1000w HPS in flower. Coast of Maine stoneton blend soil. I’m on the canna nute line.

I'm north or Edmonton
I’m south of Edmonton!! Good to see you around man!

you’ve been around since what 2019 but I haven’t seen ya around! Pop by the Alberta lounge located in my signature and introduce you’re self to the rest of the berta boys!!

I did end up finishing this grow but fell off posting due to falling sick at that time! Despite the deficiencies and bugs the harvest was moderate on two of the plants and bad on the other two do to my mistakes! Was a great learning lesson and can't wait to get back at it!

Screenshot_20210108-103250_Snapchat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom