Clay pellents on soil

bludmangrow

Hello 420!

I looking for more experienced growers answer on my thoughts on clay pellets.

I grow in soil, when I water, the soil tends to "move around", creating a uneven surface which I do not like. I have in the past used clay pellets on top of the soil to combat this and in this aspect it works great. But also from my experience I feel like the pot takes longer to dry out when you have clay pellets covering the surface.

What do you think of this? Should I use clay pellets or not?

Peace and love! :passitleft:

EDIT: I found out its called "clay pebbles"? :eek:

I don't grow in soil but I use river pebbles on top always.
Stalk.JPG

I understand what you are trying to avoid but perhaps just change your watering methods?
I use watering spikes that go down into the soil part way. They are fed by hoses leading to a pump. I find this slow watering allows better absorption and doesn't flood the surface and wash it all out.
You will find once the plants fill the pots with roots this will be less of an issue. The small surface roots will eventually form and make the top portion of the soil hold together better. At least that's what I notice in my grows.

But also from my experience I feel like the pot takes longer to dry out when you have clay pellets covering the surface.

No feeling like, it's true. Why? Much less of the soil surface is directly exposed to air, thus less evaporation. Some people use other things, like Mick and his river rock. Common term for it...

mulch.

:D

Mulch x2 - top dress with a mix of anything fresh like dandelion leaves, comfrey leaves or pretty much any green manure plant parts.

I sometimes just top dress with EWC and kelp meal and water on top of that.

I use the clay pebbles in the bottom of my hard plastic containers and sit the pots in a tray and btm water. THe clay balls in that application keep the soil out of the water so no annerobic soil bacteria because lots of aeration from the clay balls.

I use the clay pebbles in the bottom of my hard plastic containers and sit the pots in a tray and btm water. THe clay balls in that application keep the soil out of the water so no annerobic soil bacteria because lots of aeration from the clay balls.

I'm also a fan of watering from the bottom. One good way to keep those dang gnats at bay, too.

I don't grow in soil but I use river pebbles on top always.
Stalk.JPG

That is one mighty looking stem!

I understand what you are trying to avoid but perhaps just change your watering methods?
I use watering spikes that go down into the soil part way. They are fed by hoses leading to a pump. I find this slow watering allows better absorption and doesn't flood the surface and wash it all out.
You will find once the plants fill the pots with roots this will be less of an issue. The small surface roots will eventually form and make the top portion of the soil hold together better. At least that's what I notice in my grows.

Very true, changing up my watering technique will be the path I choose and what is say about surface roots is also very accurate!

Thanks all for your answers! Making a grower a little less confused one step at the time ;)

Peace :passitleft:

I tried using clay balls with my last grow and ended up getting mold growing in between and underneath the clay balls.
I started using bigger #4 perlite. Works like a charm. IMO you want it to pool up, then suck down because it will draw air into the soil.
look at @Emilya s watering post in my sig.

Back
Top Bottom