Clone problems

Curiousnoob

Hello 420 community,

I have some very sad looking clones (first time cloning) and I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind taking a minute and maybe suggesting some remedies or let me know what I'm possibly doing wrong. They are in PH6 balanced tap water (it is pretty good water) I have also put a very small amount of ryzo in it 0.5ml to a litre. Have been misting with the same twice a day.
20181112_145317.jpg

20181102_131643.jpg

Attachments

• 20181102_131557.jpg
    20181102_131557.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 125
Make a bubbler bro. I'm still new but i'd guess they need oxygen.

Their fine in cups with a little bit of water, one of those plants in the shot glass has already rooted.

I've never plastic wrapped the top of the cup though. I could see that making a possibility of a nasty environment in there.
The yellowing is no big deal but they should look a little more perky than some of those do.

DSCN2071.JPG

something like this.

Yeah...agreed...so lots of people do well enough that they can get proper cloners. Your picks look like you are trying to expand beyond your available cloner.

Then you made up something that I have seen fail a lot. You need to change the water out of those cups daily really. It is a pain in the rear the way you are trying...well and be successful.

So the way to go super cheap and fast and easy to expand...and nearly 100% reusable material so no real costs...

1) Get an air pump and a few air stones and some tube and T's at a fish store. You will end up putting one stone per pan and using Ts run them all off one pump.

2) get to the automotive store and get a few cheapo, roughly 3 inch tall oil catch drip pans. The cheap black ones one you use when changing oil.

3) get small styrofoam plates

You put 4 holes in each plate and cut line to the edge for each hole to get the clone in and out. Put 3 plates or so in each pan.

Dump the water daily and they will grow roots very fast. Think of it as a 2 inch DWC that is just tap water and you dump it daily...and it works great.

No hormone needed, no rockwool or peat plugs. Plant directly in your medium after they have substantial roots. Actually simpler than it sounds. And fast when done correctly.

I use a hood and peat plugs these days as that done right is about as simple as it gets. But if I really wanted to go fast the old way I used to do it ... I could bang out a ton of clones much faster than using a rooting medium.

Sort of you have to have masterd the method I speak of I guess or. Maybe you have to have slaved to cloning in mediums to appreciate it I think.

Not hard to master...you seem to have a handle on it well.

But the cups you... need to dump at least every 3 days.

Yeah...agreed...so lots of people do well enough that they can get proper cloners. Your picks look like you are trying to expand beyond your available cloner.

Then you made up something that I have seen fail a lot. You need to change the water out of those cups daily really. It is a pain in the rear the way you are trying...well and be successful.

So the way to go super cheap and fast and easy to expand...and nearly 100% reusable material so no real costs...

1) Get an air pump and a few air stones and some tube and T's at a fish store. You will end up putting one stone per pan and using Ts run them all off one pump.

2) get to the automotive store and get a few cheapo, roughly 3 inch tall oil catch drip pans. The cheap black ones one you use when changing oil.

3) get small styrofoam plates

You put 4 holes in each plate and cut line to the edge for each hole to get the clone in and out. Put 3 plates or so in each pan.

Dump the water daily and they will grow roots very fast. Think of it as a 2 inch DWC that is just tap water and you dump it daily...and it works great.

No hormone needed, no rockwool or peat plugs. Plant directly in your medium after they have substantial roots. Actually simpler than it sounds. And fast when done correctly.

I use a hood and peat plugs these days as that done right is about as simple as it gets. But if I really wanted to go fast the old way I used to do it ... I could bang out a ton of clones much faster than using a rooting medium.

Sort of you have to have masterd the method I speak of I guess or. Maybe you have to have slaved to cloning in mediums to appreciate it I think.

Not hard to master...you seem to have a handle on it well.

But the cups you... need to dump at least every 3 days.
Thanks mate, so it would be the bodgy humidifier and lack of air to the root area by the sounds of it! Will try out your method next grow and post a photo on my next try, as all my girls are starting flowering now. And I don't have space/time/money for another tent or to care for a mother atm. Oh but don't worry I will expand, as I can't see my new found hobbie dying down anytime soon. Cheers for everyone's help and contribution.

I want to be very clear. As I did this for years and crashed a number of pans.

You cant be there all the time and some times... you actually get high and forget things.

So there is a direct correlation to how fast this method gets roots and both the rate the water is dumped and the oxygenation... to a point.

You can recovery pretty far gone rot and still clone successfully...you wouldn't believe how bad it can get and survive this. But...

You can go up to 3 days and not have any real issues. Clean out the damn pan each time, at least rinse it good and wipe it down. You are doing a DWC and it is growing crap there. Daily is best and will get you roots faster.

Also...get good air stones and a decent pump. After a certain point you cannot oxygenate the water well enough to make a difference...but up to that point, which is high...it makes a huge difference.

I may repost one more time to re-emphasize...

Rinse daily and over oxygenate.

I never tried adding peroxide but I bet it helps. I wouldn't use a lot though.

You cant be there all the time and some times... you actually get high and forget things.

So there is a direct correlation to how fast this method gets roots and both the rate the water is dumped and the oxygenation... to a point.

You can recovery pretty far gone rot and still clone successfully...you wouldn't believe how bad it can get and survive this. But...

You can go up to 3 days and not have any real issues. Clean out the damn pan each time, at least rinse it good and wipe it down. You are doing a DWC and it is growing crap there. Daily is best and will get you roots faster.

Also...get good air stones and a decent pump. After a certain point you cannot oxygenate the water well enough to make a difference...but up to that point, which is high...it makes a huge difference.

This must be why only 3 of my 7 clones survived in my diy bubbler lol. i changed the water MAYBE twice in the 3 weeks they were in there. even when i potted them they suffered and i had to work a makeshift dome on and off them to keep them alive eventually they started to grow. the plant was already budding when i took the cuttings. was my first attempt, they're still doing pretty good besides some ph issues. LOTS of branches already lol.
20181106_093859.jpg

This was from about a week ago. little bushier now.

Lol.

Lol, repost all you like. What do you think about adding a carbonated water? Just to get me through these ones. Like a soda stream more so than a soda water which has sodium?

Never tried it...I do not see it really helping as that is CO2 right?

So this is where the conversation goes sideways and I gotta load the bowl real quick.

In nature it is common for plants to die from overwatering and drowning. Not all plants can grow in a bog or swamo... in fact most can not. Cannabis is not happy in a swamp.

Now roots in general do not want water and do want oxygen. They need water to keep growing and they use water to do their job. But they do not like to be constantly soaked in water. And a lack of water causes growth.

Most forms of hydroponics essentially are trying to keep the roots mostly in air, as dry as possible and watering them infrequently for multiple reasons.

DWC is straight up cheating. It is supper lazy and cheap hydro. It requires substantially less equipment and is way easier. There are some downsides. But for cannabis since we want big root balls DWC is fantastic.

But the only way DWC works is because of the air stones. Otherwise the plants drown. If you research high end DWC systems you will find they are all about the airflow. The more money you spend in DWC the more oxygenated the water gets. Undercurrent DWC is just sick.

But all of it is about oxygenation for faster bigger rootballs.

Bottom line.

DWC is all about the oxygenation of the water not the carbonization.

But for cloning...meh who knows. LOL. I guarantee somone has tried it.

Roots want oxygen...period.

Never tried it...I do not see it really helping as that is CO2 right?

So this is where the conversation goes sideways and I gotta load the bowl real quick.

In nature it is common for plants to die from overwatering and drowning. Not all plants can grow in a bog or swamo... in fact most can not. Cannabis is not happy in a swamp.

Now roots in general do not want water and do want oxygen. They need water to keep growing and they use water to do their job. But they do not like to be constantly soaked in water. And a lack of water causes growth.

Most forms of hydroponics essentially are trying to keep the roots mostly in air, as dry as possible and watering them infrequently for multiple reasons.

DWC is straight up cheating. It is supper lazy and cheap hydro. It requires substantially less equipment and is way easier. There are some downsides. But for cannabis since we want big root balls DWC is fantastic.

But the only way DWC works is because of the air stones. Otherwise the plants drown. If you research high end DWC systems you will find they are all about the airflow. The more money you spend in DWC the more oxygenated the water gets. Undercurrent DWC is just sick.

But all of it is about oxygenation for faster bigger rootballs.

Bottom line.

DWC is all about the oxygenation of the water not the carbonization.

But for cloning...meh who knows. LOL. I guarantee somone has tried it.

Roots want oxygen...period.

Yeah didn't think that one through:smokin:lol. Ok will just leave them empty for half hour before filling back up. Couple have one root hair coming out with multiple sites, think thats enough to plant or wait for a few more?
15420888591368372359102505465900.jpg

Hello, I think I have another clone issue. I have just walked outside and noticed that my only surviving clone is throwing out a couple pistals.
20181204_122344.jpg
20181204_122428.jpg
I am concerned it is starting to flower? can somebody advise me or suggest a light I could use, like a desk top light. Just to keep it alive and hopefully switch back to vege if I leave it on 24hr? Just not sure what light? Size? Type? Thanks.

Hello, I think I have another clone issue. I have just walked outside and noticed that my only surviving clone is throwing out a couple pistals.
20181204_122344.jpg
20181204_122428.jpg
I am concerned it is starting to flower? can somebody advise me or suggest a light I could use, like a desk top light. Just to keep it alive and hopefully switch back to vege if I leave it on 24hr? Just not sure what light? Size? Type? Thanks.
I see no pistils... its not flowering. Check out my DIY bubble cloner for $10 in my links!

Back
Top Bottom