Clone Talk

Rucifer999

Don't know where to post this but hopefully I can get feedback from the experienced and non experienced growers if they have ran similar tests.

Is it all Hype? Cloning gels, powders etc. Buying this or that to accelerate root growth. I'm only posting this because years back I read extensively on cloning and what helps. Didn't want to take clones from a mother with outstanding genetics only to have them fail. I had also read alternative ideas for cloning gels but at the time was nervous and wanted a high ratio of clones to survive.

I bought rockwool which I do love for clone, gels, propagation kits the whole shabang. Well as the years went by I started experimenting. I found out KEEP IT SIMPLE. I cloned using the gels, not using gel, planting in rockwool to planting it straight into a dixie cup with happy frog soil(low nutes) it also was ph'd to 6.4-5. Started cutting the fan leaves on some clone but not others. Cutting the stock with a razor to enhance root development.

I also had put some clones inside a propagation kit while others were outside of one(sprayed every 2-3 hours). I should say anytime I use a rockwool cube I do put it inside a dome. After a few years of trying different ways some dying some not. The two ways I noticed I like best. This is just me.

1. A dixie cup with a low fertilizer like HF. Clone with a minimum of 4 nodes I wait til 6-7 nodes for the next step. Base of clone cut at a 45 degree the usual planted in about 2"-2 1/2". I personally don't cut my fan leafs anymore. I only do it for space inside a propagation kit. Don't cut more than half though. I spray every few hours.

2. If I use Rockwool with a kit. I soak rockwool inside of water ph'd 5.5. Lately I even cut my clone and put it inside the rockwool for 20 minutes while it soaks of course after the rockwool was soaking for a minute or two. Again if you aren't running lots of clones it's up to you to snip the fan leaves. If it's packed you might want to cut them. I then spray the dome only once a day twice depending on heat or how close the light is.

*You want roots to form in the direction of moisture. If you spray the clones and they are wet and the rockwool is wet this will cause issues.
I tried it and sure enough some of them didn't root or took well over 2 weeks. So by leaving the fan leaves dry the roots will form faster. Only spray the dome and open it to give them fresh air.

I added Rhizo to water in the past still same outcome.
It also depends on the strain and how healthy the plant is.

With these ways I've noticed root development pretty quickly and have saved lots of money on matierial in the past and lets face it when you are on a budget some thing people either can't afford or are nervous about using. I also like Aloe as an alternative for gel but still keep it simple.

I've seen various videos also people using plain water. So in the words of SOJA " I guess what I'm trying to say". What many have said in the past try for yourself see what works for you. In the end it all comes down to KIS. " I don't like calling people stupid :laughtwo:. I do have pictures of various clones in the past if people want to see but there are a lot of those online hehe.

So what do you all think is it Hype? Especially in the direction Cannabis is headed and in times where every dollar of your hard earned cash is needed but there are so many options.

Thanks take care.

I bubble in plain water they say not to submerge the stem I do I also don't cut the fan leaves unless they are in the way I tried putting stuff in the water for helping didn't work and half the time I don't even use a razor blade I've ripped them off and straight into some water seems like the harder I tried the less success I had and I basically gave up and now so many rooted that I had to give some away

Thank you Bigjake8 for the response. I giggled when you said you stopped trying. In a way that's how life works. Old salt thanks for the thumbs up! You know your stuff and I always appreciate good responses from ya. Anyways. I still try not to be rough with them. Over the years I treat them like a would a human with care and they seem to do the rest.

How fast do you notice root development? For me it depends on where I take a cut from top or bottom. One thing I always try to do is find a thick stock and avoid thin ones if I can. They seem to root the best and quick at that usually under a week for me. Although I've had some take almost 2.

Any where from a week to a month for me and I do the same thing but mostly lower stuff usually right before I flip I lollypop them and fill my cloner up here lately I even had some root that already had 2 tops going on the bigger branches I'll cut one off then put the rest in water and it starts growing already topped

I use one of those areo cloners (actually got two of them now) and found nothing I do really matters. I’ve used gels, 45° precise razor cuts, scraping, not scraping, and several weird powders.

Now I just snip them with shears and add slightly filtered tap water and a bit of Z7 enzyme to keep the water clean. I’ve probably done 50 in the last year and I can’t tell any difference if I use gels and am more careful or don’t and am less careful. I did once have a clone fail to root, but thankfully took two just incase.

:passitleft:

:laughtwo: I also take an extra clone or two when it comes time just in case haha. If I do have extra I just keep em in veg and train them for next time. Heck I'm not gonna argue with an extra plant. That gives me time to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom