Clones flowering early. Input, anyone?

doncapo

I planted 4 strains on April 2nd. They are all clones from a local club, so I'm guessing they were about 3-4 weeks old at purchase time.

After 3 weeks in the ground, they have begun to flower. Pretty sure it's not an auto-flower issue, since there are 4 different kinds. I'm in CA, so the days are getting longer. I'm at a loss here. The only thing I can think of is that we've had 2 1/2 weeks of overcast weather with very little sun.

Why did this happen? Will they revert to veg stage?

Cannabis flowers in the spring and fall. All about the photo period, how much light they get. They will reveg but it will cost you in growth. Many folks wait until the fist day or summer to plant clones outside. I wish I could provide a link, but there are sights you can google that will tell you how much light you will receive in your town every day of the year. You know that on summer solstice it is 2 hours longer in Seattle than San Diego, for example. Regardless, many many people mess up and go into flower when putting clones outside in the spring.

Clones are sexually mature the day you get them most of the time. How else would they know they were female?

Cannabis flowers in the spring and fall. All about the photo period, how much light they get. They will reveg but it will cost you in growth. Many folks wait until the fist day or summer to plant clones outside. I wish I could provide a link, but there are sights you can google that will tell you how much light you will receive in your town every day of the year. You know that on summer solstice it is 2 hours longer in Seattle than San Diego, for example. Regardless, many many people mess up and go into flower when putting clones outside in the spring.

Clones are sexually mature the day you get them most of the time. How else would they know they were female?

Thanks for the feedback. Last year, I planted clones at the end of June and got a real nice crop. I thought I'd get a head start this year, but it's not looking good.

I have known people that use those daylight sites to see what the photo period is for their area, match that photo period in their indoor grow, and still throw some of their plants into flower in May. The closer you put clones out to summer solstice (June 21rst) the less likely you are to put your clones into flower. Almost by definition a clone is sexually mature. You can make a 2 inch clone flower if you have a photo period that is less than 18 hours (strain dependent). A good rule of thumb is; "Clones go out on Summer Solstice, or a week or two before, give or take".

If you plant seeds you can usually put them out as soon as the weather permits (no killing frost). It takes about 6 weeks for cannabis to become sexually mature and a couple after that to begin to actually show sex. That is usually enough time for most regions north (or south) of about latitude 35 to maintain a vegging state throughout summer.

I have known people that use those daylight sites to see what the photo period is for their area, match that photo period in their indoor grow, and still throw some of their plants into flower in May. The closer you put clones out to summer solstice (June 21rst) the less likely you are to put your clones into flower. Almost by definition a clone is sexually mature. You can make a 2 inch clone flower if you have a photo period that is less than 18 hours (strain dependent). A good rule of thumb is; "Clones go out on Summer Solstice, or a week or two before,l give or take".

If you plant seeds you can usually put them out as soon as the weather permits (no killing frost). It takes about 6 weeks for cannabis to become sexually mature and a couple after that to begin to actually show sex. That is usually enough time for most regions north (or south) of about latitude 35 to maintain a vegging state throughout summer.

Great info. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom